The 'you can push/bump in a marking contest if the ball is within 5m' rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Players get grabbed and thrown to the ground and no free. It was an atrocious call.

That’s a one on one contest. You can throw the opponent to the ground if it’s a one on one and both players are grappling for position. You can’t just run in, bump them off the ball and then mark it. Totally different scenarios. Not sure why you would even compare them.

Reading these rules, it is clear that the screens that forwards provide for each other prior to a lead are entirely illegal.
what's a screen and what's just a player getting in the way? You cant stop a player from approaching a marking contest because a teammate maybe in a better position. That's why the eyes of the player in the way is used as an indicator of intention. I think they tend to umpire this pretty well.

I agree entirely. I think these "new" marking contest interpretations hurt both forwards and defenders and is just another thing that is degrading our game. Spare us the rubbish about 5m and double movements. This takes out a form of contact that is reasonable and not at all dangerous. Just let the big boys push and shove. If they hold or have hands in the back its a free, otherwise reward the guy who gets to the right spot and can use that to his advantage.
Unfortunately hands in the back is not a free anymore

You know what I'm talking about, basically that when the ball is within 5m you are allowed to lay a shepard on the opposition player. I thought I'd look up the rule book just to get the exact rule:

Dwayne Russell (yeah yeah, I know) said something pretty interesting today whilst commentating the Swans VS Melbourne game. Basically that in regards to the marking contest, the 5m rule is completely redundant as the ball falls too fast so that it's impossible to actually lay a bump on someone/push them away and then take a mark if you are to stay within the 5m rule.

Now, his source for this was some anonymous 'physicists', but when you think about it, it does make sense.

Should the law be amended so that it actually makes sense? Increase it to 10m? Make it so you can make contact after the ball reaches it's highest point in flight :p

Any thoughts?
My only thought is the block or the shepherd???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Cost Collinwood the flag , umpires can't pick it, but the Pie that couldn't spoil Sheeds mark, is broken and angry about that.

Replayed several times after it happened and questioned by commentators , as it was occuring , the rules are complicated crap, its a simple game the umpires have no hope of being correct most of the time because of the hard to decipher rules that Hocking and co have created.

BUT WHY?

Don't worry - there'll probably be a sudden re-interpretation and the umps will start paying free kicks that they haven't for in 50+ years and all will be sweet.

I predict the change will happen - about half-time in the first week of finals.

Then, after some backlash, the rules will be hastily 're-interpreted' and we will go back to the current situation. That will probably be announced during the Grand Final Parade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back