Autopsy Round 21: Hawks plough the GWS snowflakes

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was Chad last night? Everyone else was playing in ice skates while he was just stoping pivoting in and out and around mother f***ers. This is the guy we all expected when he traded for him. Brilliant to watch 👍🏾👍👍🏾
His acceleration was insane. Once he made the decision to take a run he seemed to be at top speed in 2-3 steps and got through some very narrow gaps. Great to watch.

Last edited:
His kick - handball ratio (16 kicks 2 handballs) is a classic case of JOM slightly over adjusting his game to the conditions by throwing it on the boot. Still had more tackles than anyone else on the ground and spent more time in the forward half likely due to the fact that slippery ice surfaces aren’t ideal for knees. Not an A grade performance but certainly an A grade player.
Also : Chad is the ******* man

Just got to echo most other posters and say that Chad has played very well the last two weeks and it's gone largely unnoticed from the wider footy public.

29 touches last week
27, a goal and 6 tackles last night too

He's found his rhythm and place in the team I think.

If we can get a full pre-season into him a long with Titch and can pull off recruiting Coniglio it will transform our midfield.

What a cold, cold, cold, freezing night at the footy.
I’m never been so cold at a game, snow, hail, sleet, rain just amazingly bad.

Lots of Hawk supporters, lots of strong support.

1. It was such a great team effort. Really hard to name outstanding players when they were all so good, the youngsters were good, not picking anyone out, they’re all just kids

2. Special mention to Shaun Burgoyne, such a calm settling influence, how can this guy keep playing so well for so many years.

3. Hey, GWS, you’re nobodies, no one cares, even if you win the premiership, you’re just a bunch of irrelevant, anonymous, faceless, unknown ghosts. And no one knows who you are.

4. Please don’t play any more Hawks games in Canberra, such a boring, soulless place.

Snow at the footy, what the fu**?

Was mentioned canberra is looking for more games
Pity the stadium is being priritised as a cricket venue

Chad was amazing, the impact his touches have cannot be understated. The most insane part is that he had 27 touches, 6 tackles, 6 clearances and a goal all from only 66% time on ground. If the AFL had an equivalent of the per 36 minutes stat like the NBA, he would have been off the charts.

Per comments by O'Meara on his poor game, I can't really blame a bloke who has had multiple patella issues for feeling and playing a bit stiff and undynamic in the conditions last night. He's had to do the heavy lifting all year and is already a heavily managed player.

If not for those costly losses to lower teams we'd be top 4 this year

Exactly, but I'm not too upset we aren't. It would be nice to play finals but Clarko needs another off season to figure out how to beat teams like Richmond and Brisbane who seem to be able to break the dam walls of what is otherwise the best defense in the AFL.

The thing i love most about Chad and that i think is most underrated about him is his toughness and want to win the footy, apply pressure and lay tackles. He is known as an x factor player with a bad attitude (still yet to see any evidence of that btw) but people act like he is a lazy player and i am yet to see that. Chases hard, lays strong tackles to the point i was genuinely shocked when someone broke through one of his last night.

His spacial awareness around stoppages is close to the best i have ever seen, his willingness to take that extra second to dispose of the ball to make sure it is a quality possession is going to be huge for our midfield going forward.

Derm gave Chad the 3 votes last night on Fox Footy.

You sense that his love for Cyril has found a new home.

Exactly, but I'm not too upset we aren't. It would be nice to play finals but Clarko needs another off season to figure out how to beat teams like Richmond and Brisbane who seem to be able to break the dam walls of what is otherwise the best defense in the AFL.

Spot on.. our side does need transcending in terms of age demographics and blooding some genuine 19-22 year olds who can contribute.

CJ
Scrim
Lewis
Worpel
Hardwick
Hanrahan
Nash (still not sold)

That’s a start, and then by adding Maguinnes and possible top 8 pick and next season we could have 10 players in round 1 that are 19-22.

Tob
Sicily
Mitchell
Omera
Wingard
Coniglio
Patton
Scully
Breust
Gunston

That’s the next 9-10 players who are 25-28 which may only leave 2-3 spots for 30+ year olds?

McEvoy
Henderson
Silk
Frawley
Stratton

Those 5 may be fighting for spots and I’d dare say Frawley/Hendo are locks.

Interesting times ahead and it’s very quick how you can restructure your list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chad was amazing, the impact his touches have cannot be understated. The most insane part is that he had 27 touches, 6 tackles, 6 clearances and a goal all from only 66% time on ground. If the AFL had an equivalent of the per 36 minutes stat like the NBA, he would have been off the charts.

Per comments by O'Meara on his poor game, I can't really blame a bloke who has had multiple patella issues for feeling and playing a bit stiff and undynamic in the conditions last night. He's had to do the heavy lifting all year and is already a heavily managed player.
Totally agree about JOM. After the terrible patella injuries he’s suffered you really have to give him full props for seeing out last nights game. Actually to tell you the truth the guy needs full props just getting to the point of where he is right now leading our midfield week in week out all the while copping the hard tag and allowing others to get off the chain. This is almost 2 full seasons strung together in a row after most had written him off and thought he was cooked. The fact that Mitchell hasn’t been there all season long is a true testament to JOM and getting his body to the point where it can handle the ground and pound of week to week top flight AFL footy.

Spot on.. our side does need transcending in terms of age demographics and blooding some genuine 19-22 year olds who can contribute.

CJ
Scrim
Lewis
Worpel
Hardwick
Hanrahan
Nash (still not sold)

That’s a start, and then by adding Maguinnes and possible top 8 pick and next season we could have 10 players in round 1 that are 19-22.

Tob
Sicily
Mitchell
Omera
Wingard
Coniglio
Patton
Scully
Breust
Gunston

That’s the next 9-10 players who are 25-28 which may only leave 2-3 spots for 30+ year olds?

McEvoy
Henderson
Silk
Frawley
Stratton

Those 5 may be fighting for spots and I’d dare say Frawley/Hendo are locks.

Interesting times ahead and it’s very quick how you can restructure your list.
#singleseasonrebuild

I dont think Puopolo seems to be planning on retiring
How good was it seeing him sky for that mark. It wasn’t classic Poppy but geez I woke the neighbourhood screaming when he took it. I’ve really missed that Poppy and really miss how he used to embarrass opponents that were 20-30cm taller than him.

Derm gave Chad the 3 votes last night on Fox Footy.

You sense that his love for Cyril has found a new home.
Chad just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time when we needed him. He did in the midfield what Haynes does / doing in the backline. The fact that he’s never played 1 second of AFL footy beside the raining Brownlow medalist is something to savour. I hate being one of those fans that talks about next season but geez we’ve got a lot to look forward to come 2020.

7s Team is as a whole is poor, BT can go with Daisy.. as bad as each other in my eyes, I cringe listening to BT literally make names up and pretend he knows injuries and the same with Daisy when she jumps in over someone else or interviews players/coaches, it’s god awful awkward, she waffles on longer than those she’s interviewing.
This is the problem with the media and it's popularity contests. They want sporting figures on their shows to try and claim the popularity contests, but those sporting figures are not media people by trade, so many of them lack media polish, and sorry to say, sometimes it just can't be taught... Some actually lack the skill to talk coherently. Bruce is, and always will be number one in my eyes, but trying to turn any footballer is, in my eyes, the equivalent of a square peg in a round hole. Rarely works well. Just sometimes...

Last edited:
He is known as an x factor player with a bad attitude (still yet to see any evidence of that btw) but people act like he is a lazy player and i am yet to see that.
But it was well known that he was lazy with a bad attitude! Well known!

That's because somebody said it, and then somebody said it again! At this point, I wasn't sure, but then somebody said it again, and then I was convinced!

Lazy with an attitude!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back