Preview Changes: R21 2019 vs West Coast

Changes for West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I generally don't like ragging on players but Atkins 2017 season vs this year is statistically very different. Although he gets more of the ball on average. He isn't tackling as much, gets less contested ball, less contested marks, less 1% and most importantly about 1/3 of the amount of goal assists... I get the contested stuff isn't as important to a winger but it sure an extra string to your bow.

View attachment 723647
I generally don't like ragging on players but Atkins 2017 season vs this year is statistically very different. Although he gets more of the ball on average. He isn't tackling as much, gets less contested ball, less contested marks, less 1% and most importantly about 1/3 of the amount of goal assists... I get the contested stuff isn't as important to a winger but it sure an extra string to your bow.
Lets not foget thats off a pretty low base too...he's never been elite.
At his best he has been a typical AFC plodder who has the odd decent game and a couple good moments.
We seem to LOVE that type of player..

I can. For instance Jones should have been an in. Him not being there and certain others still there is melt worthy.

Even Bickley is questioning selection.

Something stinks at the club, the selectors have put faith in the wrong players all season. If they lose this weekend, they deserve all the s**t they are going to cop. They are completely out of touch.
I don’t disagree with you. I feel like it’s one of two scenarios. One they have conceded we can’t make finals, won’t sacrifice the kids in what is likely to be a blood bath, gift Jacobs two games to get to 200 next week at home. Or two, they think they CAN make finals, don’t want to sacrifice kids in a likely loss, and resting ROB up to get ready for finals.

Neither of which explains how some players continue to get a game without pressure on them.

Lets not foget thats off a pretty low base too...he's never been elite.
At his best he has been a typical AFC plodder who has the odd decent game and a couple good moments.
We seem to LOVE that type of player..
Should be first traded. Will likely play 200 games at our club.

Anyone else notice that our football department, apart from maybe Pyke, were all unable to accept that their own playing careers were done?

Smart - dropped unceremoniously mid-season. Cracked the s**ts and retired.
Hart - delisted by Craig. Cracked the s**ts and ended up playing a year in the SANFL.
Camporeale - went to another club and played another couple of seasons while well past his best.
Clarke - went to another club and played another season while well past his best.
Ricciuto - kept putting his hand up to play at the expense of the team. Cost us a final.
Mattner - went on one season too long.
Burton - went on one season too long. Was dropped unceremoniously (despite Craig calling his performances "solid") and couldn't get a kick in the SANFL so retired.
Reilly - was already well and truly cooked by the time his unfortunate incident happened.
There’s probably not many players that call the shots at the end though.

I think the scary thing right now is that none of us can see the event that will cause this catastrophic change anywhere in our next 12 months.

We get smashed by 100 points a few times. Bring back some experience players.

More young players leave for opportunity. We turn the other cheek.

Maybe bottom 4 will spark some shuffles, but that will be too late.

I cannot imagine what will need to happen for them to respond with a club wide structural revamp.

I think the scary thing right now is that none of us can see the event that will cause this catastrophic change anywhere in our next 12 months.

I cannot imagine what will need to happen for them to respond with a club wide structural revamp.
I do. 20-30k crowds and Powaa becoming more relevant in this town. People blindly turning up to home games to see the same s**t dished up ironically are hurting the club. The Collingwood game crowd will be telling as to how long the fall will be allowed to continue before something is done. If 20k turns up I guarantee some decisions will be made this year. If 35k turn up decisions will likely be made mid season next year. If 45k turn up decisions will be made end of 2020 or beyond.

Last edited:

You should send this to Fagan. And Roo.

I don’t disagree with you. I feel like it’s one of two scenarios. One they have conceded we can’t make finals, won’t sacrifice the kids in what is likely to be a blood bath, gift Jacobs two games to get to 200 next week at home. Or two, they think they CAN make finals, don’t want to sacrifice kids in a likely loss, and resting ROB up to get ready for finals.

Neither of which explains how some players continue to get a game without pressure on them.
If the club has conceded we won't make the finals, then they should be playing the younger players who are the future of our club, rather than players who won't be part of our next flag.

There is no point playing older players who are past it when we are not a shot at the flag. It's selfish selection.

Imo the younger players may not have less short term output any way, given the poor form of many of these older players. Further, they bring enthusiasm to energize the rest of the group

If the club has conceded we won't make the finals, then they should be playing the younger players who are the future of our club, rather than players who won't be part of our next flag.

There is no point playing older players who are past it when we are not a shot at the flag. It's selfish selection.

Imo the younger players may not have less short term output any way, given the poor form of many of these older players. Further, they bring enthusiasm to energize the rest of the group
Agreed. But you don’t want to send kids to the slaughter really, do you? Next two weeks play the kids. This week, not so much.

The next defining factor will be list management. Trading abd drafting must have a long term view on where we are going as a footy club and what the team will look like in 5 years time, rather than 5 games.

I can somehow understanding (disappointed as I am, I do understand) why they have put all of their eggs into the one basket and are trying to win as many games to play finals. Trying to make finals is the right step IMO. Finishing 13th is irrelevant.

However, if they don’t make wholesale list and coaching changes are a second unsuccessful year, thst will be fare more disappointing than picking Jacobs over O’Brian or Douglas over Jones.

Re-signing Douglas, mackay and co is a massive step backwards. Poor lit management.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. But you don’t want to send kids to the slaughter really, do you? Next two weeks play the kids. This week, not so much.

In that case, why have Jones as the travelling emergency?

Leave that to Seedsman, or Greenwood or Wilson.

Seems like we go out of our way to stifle our kids' development at times.

That’s not the way we do things. Even last year when the season the lost the message was we pick our strongest team to win every game. We picked Otten over Himmelberg FFS.

They are selfish arseholes who prefer to stifle our development than be faced with the scrutiny of losses.

The oldest, slowest side in the comp brings in three of its oldest, slowest players in the hope of clinging on to an irrelevant finals position to ensure contract benchmarks are reached.

Never change AFC.

How do they not see that picking the younger players will most likely be a BETTER team? How can they be that blind?

They will fall on their sword. They are going back to a well that has never given us a drink. Repeatedly. The dehydration has hit and the club is about the pay the price (and i mean that literally with less members money coming in)

Even FB is angry when you normally get the "Karens" of the world saying "Good luck boys, we believe in you"

Dead wrong on both counts. This has nothing to do with 'not wanting to sacrifice 'kids' (Adult men)', the established pattern of selection is indicative of this.

They play guys like Douglas because they think experience outweighs everything else by far.

'Kids to the slaughter' give me a break. It is a game of footy ffs, and they are adults who have been playing footy for years, they can probably handle being flogged. Talk about helicopter supporting.

One of the most pathetic things I have read on this forum. Do you have no shame in how you twist and turn to defend the club? Here you try to turn the club's moronic selection and list management decisions into a compliment because they are protecting the 'kids'.

A loss this week will make me happier than a win, never thought I would ever feel like that watching this club.

Me too. Hope we lose by 100

I will say in regard to Knight, at least he can run and if anyone bothered to pull the trigger, possibly tag a WC runner. I could actually live with that, if it was a plan

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. There is no plan. I hope Shuey has 50 touches. I have him as my Fantasy Draft captain

I do. 20-30k crowds and Powaa becoming more relevant in this town. People blindly turning up to home games to see the same s**t dished up ironically are hurting the club. The Collingwood game crowd will be telling as to how long the fall will be allowed to continue before something is done. If 20k turns up I guarantee some decisions will be made this year. If 35k turn up decisions will likely be made mid season next year. If 45k turn up decisions will be made end of 2020 or beyond.

45K is a possibility, but that will be more due to Collingwood fans attending as they always get a turn out. Sub 40K vs Saints on a PERFECT night for footy last week was starting to tell a story

40K would actually be a disaster next week as i suspect there will be 5K Pies fans there

It would be better for their development to play in a hostile Optus Stadium against a successful club.

I think they honestly believe Otten, Mackay, Douglas & Jacobs are more likely to lead us to victory.

Look at our team, the only young talent we have in it is Fogarty and Murphy and we all know that Murphy is going to trend like Petrenko and we will pump 100 games into him before delisting him at 25. Anyway, my point is we only have one young player in the team worth getting excited about in Fogarty. How boring is that? We are getting the 2017 failure band back together but not realising we need to turn over all of those players before we will next be successful.

It would be better for their development to play in a hostile Optus Stadium against a successful club.

I think they honestly believe Otten, Mackay, Douglas & Jacobs are more likely to lead us to victory.

Look at our team, the only young talent we have in it is Fogarty and Murphy and we all know that Murphy is going to trend like Petrenko and we will pump 100 games into him before delisting him at 25. Anyway, my point is we only have one young player in the team worth getting excited about in Fogarty. How boring is that? We are getting the 2017 failure band back together but not realising we need to turn over all of those players before we will next be successful.
At this rate we are genuine contenders for the wooden spoon next year. I feel gold coast has more upside. What the match committee is currently doing will be used as the blueprint for not what to do at a club for the next 50 years. The fact that the clubs board is sitting back and allowing the current team selection to occur is contemptible.

At this rate we are genuine contenders for the wooden spoon next year. I feel gold coast has more upside. What the match committee is now doing will be used as the blueprint for not what to do at a club for the next 50 years. The fact that the clubs board is sitting back and allowing the team selection to occur is contemptible.

Ok, i'm all on the "bash the decision makers" bandwagon, but that's just ridiculous.

Back