News Assistant Coach Discussion - Leigh Adams joining?

Soft cap mate.
Yup no point giving up more than we need to to the scrags at the afl
Club would of weighed up the options and backed themselves in and I’ll back that choice

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
We don't need Kingsley, could have cut loose or paid less.
Anyway, it's done now, too late.
Hopefully we can hire Sanderson, one of the very best.

RFCGloryJC

Publicity for Ricky Nixon and the St Kilda Girl
Jun 13, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Inter Milan, Real Madrid 👑
Caro's article in The Age on Cara.
The two key assistant coaches are mids and forwards, they are two most complex tactically.
Defence is stable.
Would have Leppa as forward coach, Cara as mids.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We don't need Kingsley, could have cut loose or paid less.
Anyway, it's done now, too late.
Hopefully we can hire Sanderson, one of the very best.

How could you possibly know Kingsley isn't doing a great job? We seem to be holding our own in his domain despite not having a dominant ruckman or even an experienced one for most of the season, and spending large parts of the season without some important midfield resources, Cotchin, Ross, Grigg. Lambert has missed a string of matches, Nankervis missed loads of matches...how do you know he isn't the one responsible for placing a specific order to recruiters that resulted in Marlion Pickett being brought to the club? Bolton has emerged as a midfielder, I suppose that happened by accident, or might Kingsley have played a key role in that?

I don't know, but do you know? Or are you just guessing? And if so what are you basing your guess on?

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
How could you possibly know Kingsley isn't doing a great job? We seem to be holding our own in his domain despite not having a dominant ruckman or even an experienced one for most of the season, and spending large parts of the season without some important midfield resources, Cotchin, Ross, Grigg. Lambert has missed a string of matches, Nankervis missed loads of matches...how do you know he isn't the one responsible for placing a specific order to recruiters that resulted in Marlion Pickett being brought to the club? Bolton has emerged as a midfielder, I suppose that happened by accident, or might Kingsley have played a key role in that?

I don't know, but do you know? Or are you just guessing? And if so what are you basing your guess on?
Bolton was being played in the VFL in the midfield last year MR.

Feb 6, 2019
Murfreesboro, TENN
AFL Club
Richmond
What a melty thread!
Good luck to him it’s a competitive market and relatively speaking assistant coaches aren’t that well paid but I’m sure he’s about to be.
It’s also not uncommon for assistants to want to know what they’ll be doing next season well before the current season ends, one of the reasons north went early on appointing Shaw. It also puts the assistants mind at ease to lock in next years plans well before finals so any talk of him not being focused on finals is not true, it’s quite the opposite.
And finally many assistants need to strategically place themselves in line with their respective ambitions and he might be on a promise not necessarily next year but next cab of the rank.
Good luck and thanks.

Caracella signed with us about a week after Geelong's season ended in 2016.
It didn't just happen overnight, he would have been in negotiations well before that.
Would love to have kept them, but part and parcel of the industry.
That said, wow, Essendon actuallly grew a set of balls and got on the front foot for the first time n a long time.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
True, but he seems to have been transitioned well into the AFL midfield over the course of this season. OK, I admit, I was just trying to think of things to add to my argument. ;)
I wasn’t disagreeing with you and I was against Kingsley, but it’s been hard to measure his true performance with our early injuries. So most of what you were implying was correct.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Only thing I’ll say is in this industry copying doesn’t work, you need to find your own tune.
GL to Blake and the bombers but I’m not worried, look at the hawks and how much coaching talent they’ve lost over the years. We now have an environment which is conducive to best practices and I am confident we will continue to improve. There are plenty of good options out there. One out of left field that I’d be going hammer and tongs to get out of the media and into coaching is Nick Reiwoldt. He’s a terrific leader, passionate about the game, intelligent and has a lot to offer. Others I’d look at: S.Mitchell, Knights, Richo, Bolton, Voss and Teague/Ratten depending on whether they get the job or not. Plenty of options

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Mini-Tigerland? Richmond frustrated at Dons' coach poaching
Caroline Wilson
The result spoke for itself when Richmond cleared the decks at the end of 2016, replacing most of their assistant coaches, appointing Neil Balme as head of football and dividing his duties with his predecessor Daniel Richardson.
It's true that the transformed Damien Hardwick drove the change with captain Trent Cotchin but a key ingredient to that year of Tiger wonders was Richardson's willingness to swallow his pride and work alongside Balme, a close family friend who had played in premierships with his father Barry.

All the ins, outs, emergencies and interchanges for every team ahead of Round 21
Had the man who became the new football boss been anyone but Balme, Richardson, who was being wooed by Geelong back then, might have left. Instead he spent one more season at Richmond before becoming football boss at Essendon.
To say that Richardson learned some valuable lessons over those last two years at Richmond would be something of an understatement. To say that the Tigers are not exactly thrilled with Richardson this week would be another.
The former player manager turned respected football administrator has poached two assistant coaches crucial to the Tigers' 2017 premiership in two years. First Ben Rutten, who has worked to transform the Bombers' defence, and now Blake Caracella, who will be charged with improving ball movement and the forwards.
If you asked Richardson about the moves he has made at Essendon - and there will be more by season's end - he would say that Balme had always told him to surround himself and his football club with good people.
Richmond assistant coach Blake Caracella.

Richmond assistant coach Blake Caracella.AAP
If you asked Balme he would respond: "Yes, but I didn't mean you to take all my people."
Balme, who has enjoyed a long and almost paternal relationship with Caracella, is probably more pragmatic than some at Richmond regarding the defection. The experienced assistant who Geelong let go at the end of 2016 was contracted to the Tigers for 2020 but due to his personal circumstances had an out clause in his contract this year.
Just as Richmond would not match Rutten's offer last year without giving pay rises to Caracella and Justin Leppitsch, the Tigers had the same dilemma this season. The Bombers have been negotiating for Caracella's services for some months and Richmond faced a football soft-cap squeeze had they retained him and also rewarded Leppitsch and Adam Kingsley.
Losing key coaches is the last thing clubs want as they head towards finals but nor did Essendon want the news made public as John Worsfold attempts to postpone more winds of change and hold his team of assistants and high performance personnel together as they work towards September.
Last year West Coast learned months out that Sam Mitchell was breaking his contract and heading back to Hawthorn. The still relatively inexperienced senior coach Adam Simpson faced the added burden of keeping his coaching team - including the defecting Mitchell - focused and united.
The AFL Coaches Association has attempted on two occasions to introduce an anti-tampering rule for coaches given the disruption these situations cause, particularly during finals campaigns.
But when push has come to shove the same club chiefs who loathe losing key personnel even to interviews and presentations elsewhere, have balked at legislating against in-season poaching.
Only last month the Port Adelaide board was unhappy that Michael Voss missed that club's main training session to present to Carlton. The Blues would not accommodate a request from Voss to present over the previous weekend when the Power were playing in Melbourne.
In the past, clubs have ordered departing assistants out immediately upon learning the news. Alastair Clarkson was gone from Port Adelaide before the 2004 finals series as was Mark Neeld from Collingwood before the 2011 grand final. Brenton Sanderson chose to leave Geelong as soon as he had accepted the senior role at Adelaide during the 2011 finals, although they wanted him to stay.
Dan Richardson (centre) during his time at Tigerland, with Belinda Duarte and Amanda Green.

Dan Richardson (centre) during his time at Tigerland, with Belinda Duarte and Amanda Green.Wayne Taylor
Not so Caracella, whose decision to return to Essendon after 17 years is a multi-layered tale which was reportedly not an easy decision for him, made easier by the fact that he will next year become one of the best-remunerated assistant coaches in the AFL.
He has told friends he hopes to help recreate something of the environment he has enjoyed over three seasons at Richmond at the club which last won a flag two decades ago with Caracella on a wing.
In the meantime, he has pledged himself to premiership teammate Hardwick - who is credited with identifying him during 2016 as an ideal candidate to convert the Tigers' stagnant ball movement - until the end of Richmond's 2019 campaign. Caracella will not be permitted to join Essendon until the end of October.
Despite the speculation surrounding Worsfold's coaching future at Essendon the expectation is that he will coach the club next season, albeit with some more key internal changes.
Another lesson Richardson learned at Tigerland was to act immediately to solve a problem, something the club failed to do at the end of 2015 when it made no changes to Hardwick's assistants when he was recontracted.
That's why Neeld was moved on with such brutal efficiency in May 2018 and Richardson, barely six months into his new job, set about reconfiguring the team and structure around Worsfold. Forwards coach Paul Corrigan and opposition strategist Rob Harding were given their marching orders in July.
Like so many before him Richardson has probably been challenged at times by the Bombers' zealous but factionalised and influential supporter group but the club has held firm in supporting Worsfold and ensuring they surround him with the best possible team as Essendon rebuild their culture.
Caracella returns to Essendon after ending his playing days at the Brisbane Lions and then Collingwood under Leigh Matthews and Mick Malthouse respectively. He has coached under four premiership mentors: Malthouse, Mark Thompson, Chris Scott and Hardwick.
Although he has never harboured ambitions for a senior role previously but is reportedly rethinking that, his supporters say his football experience, intelligence and strategic talents ensure he would only need to overcome his introverted tendencies to succeed as a coach.
And Richmond?
Clearly Hardwick is disappointed at losing two key lieutenants in two years to lucrative offers from the Bombers but the club is saying Caracella has its blessing and it has moved on despite the collective frustration.
But the point has been made that a significant part of that frustration has come about by watching Richardson reshape Essendon in Richmond's image.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Only thing I’ll say is in this industry copying doesn’t work, you need to find your own tune.
GL to Blake and the bombers but I’m not worried, look at the hawks and how much coaching talent they’ve lost over the years. We now have an environment which is conducive to best practices and I am confident we will continue to improve. There are plenty of good options out there. One out of left field that I’d be going hammer and tongs to get out of the media and into coaching is Nick Reiwoldt. He’s a terrific leader, passionate about the game, intelligent and has a lot to offer. Others I’d look at: S.Mitchell, Knights, Richo, Bolton, Voss and Teague/Ratten depending on whether they get the job or not. Plenty of options
I think Blake’s strengths are that he can adapt and change. From bush footy to AFL clubs, premierships have followed him over a course of 15years or so.
Of all those names I think Teague and Mitchell are the only blokes worth chasing. All the other names have either done SFA in the coaching game or passed their Expiry Date.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
I wasn’t disagreeing with you and I was against Kingsley, but it’s been hard to measure his true performance with our early injuries. So most of what you were implying was correct.
Kingsley is good Nick Riewoldt is a pretty good judge of character he said he was best assistant he ever had that's good enough for me.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Truck Rutten is bloody overrated based on Essendon’s soft defence. He was no loss to us.
Leppa setup the structure and consistency of our defence, and Truck just stepped in and maintained it when Leppa took the Brisbane job.

Caracella is a huge loss though. Club rightfully pissed off.

We’re last in clearance numbers.

Back