Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn’t implying any rift, but you don’t see it every week. And Melbourne haven’t won many games.

Chad considers himself a bit special, the signs were there with the celebrations in his first game. I don’t see Hawthorn as a club that will bend to accommodate individuals who want to do things differently. Chad has to fall in line.
Yep, fair enough. I think he has though. A few teething issues. And then injuries didn't help.

He has played bloody well since he came back from injury a month ago. One of our best. Not the selfish, egotistical Port superstar, but a new look Chad who does all the team stuff and blends right in.

Last edited:
Overblown by the media. A new player unfamiliar with the gameplan gets pulled into line at the half time break for breaking a team rule. These things happen all the time. If Wingard didn't argue with Roughie and react demonstrably with outstretched arms then nobody would've batted an eyelid. But the trolls in the media generate clicks by writing about a "rift" between Wingard and his new teammates who are supposedly unimpressed by his bad attitude.

It's the sort of garbage which Damian Barrett and Caroline Wilson have made their careers on

C'mon Ron. You're better than his.

Yep Wingard is now admonishing others for not following the plan. Next

Rubbish.

Every player gets questioned out on the field by their teammates at some point.
Not long ago Duryea and Siss aswell. Spot on teammates are always demanding expectations from each other that team rules are met. I like to see it and it shows on field leadership.

Start of the year Wingard at times looked lost and struggled to get his hands on the footy. Now he is starting to understand the Hawks system and playing some good consistent footy. Using draft picks to get an A grader into Hawks colours compared to picking up an 18yo from the lottery draw ....... master stroke!

Side note, but Breust last night. Had an average year, but his ability to keep his feet in the contest is as good as I've seen.

Noted hes cracked 30 goals per season for nine straight. Not too many current players doing that.

Their system was flawless when they already did the draft hard yards for the core players... they don't have that anymore

Their system was flawless when they already did the draft hard yards for the core players... they don't have that anymore
They do, they just poached them via trade or later in the draft instead.

From the great man himself post match. I keep telling people it’s more important to listen in life that’s why we have two ears and one mouth! Have heard the great man talk like this before and he has always delivered.

"We are pleased with the track we are heading and hopefully we are showing our supporters back at home there is something to be excited about in the future of this football club."

2014 and 2015 flags had 3 players we drafted with top 10 picks. 3 out of the best 22 (Lewis, Hodge, Roughy). Only one of those (Roughead) did we get with our picks for finishing low down, the other two picks were traded in. The other 19 players came from either picks after 10 or players drafted in.

You really believe you can't find 3 elite players from trading instead of languishing at the bottom of the ladder? What do you think the point of Mitchell, Wingard and O'Meara was? We'll continue to try to get good players late in the draft, and continue to trade out of the first round of the draft because - while some other clubs are finally cottoning on - still there are enough clubs that overvalue first round picks enough for us to continue to bring in quality players while sending out speculative draft picks.

What’s a Western Bulldogs supporter with a midfield of Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter, Libba, Wallis, Smith and Lipinski have to be jealous about?

And last time I checked Cogs was still contracted to GWS. Why would he want to go Hawthorn over a Carlton who are on the verge of contending again. With one of the best young lists in the game?
Apart from Bont who are your bonafide game breakers out of that lot?, they get a shitload of footy alot of them but are they really that influential?, I'd back Mitchell, Worpedo, Jaeger, Cogs (if he comes), Wingard and Shiels over your mids. If your going to throw in Hunter may as well put Scully and Henderson. Where are you blokes on the ladder I forgot was it top 4? Because your blowing your trumpet like the Dogs are miles better than us and their clearly not.

We won a flag in 16...

Our list is better than yours. Put a poll up on the main page between hawks and the dogs hell even carlton and see who neutrals would choose going forward. Guarantee it wouldn't be the hawks. You arent the same team without the past champions of the club
Where is your list better? The midfield and where else?, Our defence is the yardstick of the comp champ and thats not just being biased. Facts back it up. You have Naughton up forward and we have Lewis. Our rucks crap all over yours I could go on. What is it with dogs fans and being totally delusional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won a flag in 16...

Our list is better than yours. Put a poll up on the main page between hawks and the dogs hell even carlton and see who neutrals would choose going forward. Guarantee it wouldn't be the hawks. You arent the same team without the past champions of the club
The list is so much better that you have 2 ex hawk players who were borderline best 22 in your best team. Start having a period of sustained success before blowing your wad about how good you lot are.

Where is your list better? The midfield and where else?, Our defence is the yardstick of the comp champ and thats not just being biased. Facts back it up. You have Naughton up forward and we have Lewis. Our rucks crap all over yours I could go on. What is it with dogs fans and being totally delusional.
Wouldnt fire back with us about our ruck position when we have arguably the most promising ruck prospect since Grundy getting game time into him every week. Want to revisit this next year after Tim gets another pre season into him? Your backline is so good? Really? When we kicked 8 in a row to beat you this year?

The list is so much better that you have 2 ex hawk players who were borderline best 22 in your best team. Start having a period of sustained success before blowing your wad about how good you lot are.
How am I blowing my wad? I stated facts? We are where we are this year but we have a good list to move on with. A lot of what I have said has been stated by others in the media and they have also stated they are unsure of the Hawks. This is a common opinion and now one that is outlandish.. If you read some of the comments in this thread the things I have stated aren't blowing my wad compared to some others. Its all good you have your opinion and thats fine

Wouldnt fire back with us about our ruck position when we have arguably the most promising ruck prospect since Grundy getting game time into him every week. Want to revisit this next year after Tim gets another pre season into him? Your backline is so good? Really? When we kicked 8 in a row to beat you this year?
Yeah been a disappointing year have played well against the better sides but lost to many against crap teams.

Yeah with help from the umps..
Our defence has been the best since the bye..

You kicked 8 in a row because we had in game injuries to shiels and burgoyne. We were running on empty in the middle

Three goals from the umps didn’t help either.
I dont care about umpires mate. We r weak in the middle of the ground and to lose two in that area in game killed us. We lost experience in the middle of the ground

They arent GWS rejects, thats for sure.
How many wins has SOS had with his GWS rejects? Cant believe he still has a job to be honest. So many Carlton people blinded by these former high draft picks assuming that the GWS recruiters were on the money. We took our medicine with Jono O'Rourke, but what Carltons's done is just tragic.

Yep, fair enough. I think he has though. A few teething issues. And then injuries didn't help.

He has played bloody well since he came back from injury a month ago. One of our best. Not the selfish, egotistical Port superstar, but a new look Chad who does all the team stuff and blends right in.
His effort stood out above a lot of guys last week against the Roos. The bloke's an excitement machine.

Your rucks crap all over ours? English is one of the youngest starting ruckman in the league and has as much upside and attributes as the leagues bug 3. It won’t be long at all until he fly’s past Ceglar. And how much elite footy has McEvoy got left? Bringing in rucks as a case against the dogs is a ridiculous comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back