What's gone wrong with Melbourne in 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Got one possible derivative. .or two...keeping up the momentum...tiring too easily..
using their best players wisely or u.n.brain Lee..lol..
  • Pass mark..can do better..

You are mistaken on this point. We were terrible in 2016 with some serious losses. Off the top of my head I don't know Melbourne's I50 numbers and where they rank but imagine they would be in the top half. Their issue is lack of defensive intensity (all across the ground...not just in defense) and a game plan to capitalise on so many I50's. It's either the forwards not getting to the right position or the mids not delivering it properly (ie bombing it forward).

The Tiges in 16 were totally and utterly sh1te!!! We had a number of huge losses where we didn't even show up.
Yeah, very true. We even lost the last game of the year to Sydney by 113, just to make it clear to everyone that we weren't improving. Then over the summer we suddenly did! :rainbow:

good post research. funmy most see their issue as hogsn gone and tmcdonald spudding it up. but theyre still scoring decently.
We are the 3rd lowest scoring team. We have scored only 2 more points than you guys

No doubt our defense isn't great, it wasn't last year either. But to go from the highest scoring team to almost the lowest scoring team in a season is more than deeply concerning

Anyway this is how Melbourne look on my analysis (with the best & worst teams for comparison).

They turned into a terrible team over the off-season, despite being very high-scoring last year, fumbled around for the first few rounds, but since about Round 7 have been tightening up their defence in particular.

They were unlucky to lose to Adelaide (12.16 to 14.6) and the scoreboard didn't do them much justice against Collingwood, either (7.15 to 15.8).

The Brisbane loss last week wasn't great, but they might be decently competitive from here.

From https://live.squiggle.com.au/

Anyway this is how Melbourne look on my analysis (with the best & worst teams for comparison).

They turned into a terrible team over the off-season, despite being very high-scoring last year, fumbled around for the first few rounds, but since about Round 7 have been tightening up their defence in particular.

They were unlucky to lose to Adelaide (12.16 to 14.6) and the scoreboard didn't do them much justice against Collingwood, either (7.15 to 15.8).

The Brisbane loss last week wasn't great, but they might be decently competitive from here.

From https://live.squiggle.com.au/

View attachment 703000

What the hell am I look at lol

Which team has finished the lowest on the ladder the year after making a prelim?
Don't know, but Richmond finished 14th in 2002 (16 team comp). That being said, the 2001 Richmond team was pretty old coming to the end of what there was of a competitive window. Melbourne is a young team, so odds on this year is a blip rather than last. But then again it's Melbourne...

Last edited:
Somebody or some people must be made accountable for this wasted year. Up to them to review the cause and act as a result.
the fitness staff are the first ones that need to be held accountable and they have. Mission is leaving a years end.

The assistant coaches have had a mid year shake up and I expect a couple of them will depart at years end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are the 3rd lowest scoring team. We have scored only 2 more points than you guys

No doubt our defense isn't great, it wasn't last year either. But to go from the highest scoring team to almost the lowest scoring team in a season is more than deeply concerning

Seem to have a lot of midfield and not many marking forwards.
Might want to think about a few trades and getting in some big forward targets.GWS might be the best chance if GWS lose some midfielders you might consider trading some Melbourne genius midfielders for a tall forward like Patton maybe.

We know, what an awful season.

But it doesn’t make sense to me. Can we somehow take away the BigFooty banter and delve into this deeper and try and figure it out like a community.

Let’s start post tanking era, the Paul Roos era. The demons do what every other club has done at one time, they’ve changed management and for the better.

Acclaimed champion coach Paul Roos steps in and assists reinvigorating the club. Obviously the players and club bought in, instantly in 2014, the club doubled its wins from the prior year and increased its percentage year on year.

Jesse Hogan emerges as a key forward kicking 44 goals in his first season, Max Gawn becomes an AA and under Roos, year on year, they had improved. They had discovered and drafted great young players and experts referred to the club as an emerging superpower.

Even the management was stable, they crafted a transition from Roos to Goodwin, which Roos himself approved of and helped orchestrate. Signs of stable entity.

Their first season with Goodwin, 2017, sees the Demons surpass 40,000 members for the first time, the supporters have bought in! They only JUST missed finals with West Coast upsetting minor premiers Adelaide in the final round.

Fast forward to 2018, this club clearly on the rise, walking the kakoda track walk upward, and impressively make the finals. Their first final? Against Geelong, a side they would best call ‘a bogey’ side, responsible for one of the most humiliating and demoralising defeats in the history of AFL football less than a decade earlier. The demons supporters turned up in the tens of thousands, and together, shouted in ecstasy and elation that finally, the demons have won a final! It was a glorious win, the commentators of all broadcast networks claimed this was a dawning of a new era, the demons had arrived!

Then they got belted by West Coast in Perth. And like the titanic, a hole in the ship was exposed and the whole thing sunk. Brayshaw was the first thing I noticed, an AFL fantasy team stallion, the first player I chose for 2019, yet, he cost me hundreds of thousands until I had to pull the pin on this once premium player, now, just an unfortunate casualty of this Melbourne capitulation.

It’s always been nice to see a premiership drought broken, and as the years have past we’ve seen the majority break, but this one will last that one year longer, but why was this year so abysmal? Help me comprehend it..

They listened to all the hot air bs being blown up their backsides by the Vic media and their own fans. Just go back and read what Dees supporters were saying / predicting preseason.

Basically got ahead of themselves.......plus off season surgeries were quite high and a lack of decent kps back and forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back