Portfolio What if the VFL, WAFL and SANFL merged in 1983?

What approach should I take post-1983?

• Respect the clubs' history, very few mergers, only ones that are absolutely necessary

• * history, merge, re-brand or fold as much as possible, it's just fantasy after all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I look back on it now, I can't believe how blatant a rip-off of West Torrens the West Coast Eagles were. The only thing changed was the word "Torrens" with "Coast," and then of course the wings.

But the colour and name, my word.

thought exactly this at the time

Yeah, by all means use the colours OR use the name, but not BOTH for cryin' out loud.

It's as bad as what the Western Force did with the Cleveland Force and the Georgia Force; I mean they took both the name and the colours. There was no need, as both were dumb and irrelevant to Western Australia. I mean looking at this, I think even the "slanted-oval" shape of the logo, which we all assumed was a rugby ball, might have been lifted from there as well...

force names.jpg

When will the 2018 version be uploaded?
The 40 year anniversary version is quite a way off. I’ve done I think 8 out of around 36 teams as I’m not sure who merges, dies, relocates or survives and how many new franchises there will be. I reckon it is about 1 year off being released, hopefully quicker though.

Awesome idea man, wish it'd happen, what would the rivalries be? if port adelaide power came in 1997, then the port adelaide magpies vs port adelaide power would be an awesome game if theyre in the same division. and would fitzroy still merge with the brisbane rockets?

itd be an awesome weekend watching the footy. 3 friday night games with 1 each division, same with saturday nights, man that would be epic, well at least st kilda can have a division premiership eh lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DIVISION 2 CONTINUED
Some more VFA teams made their way into the league. With Port Melbourne earning/buying their way into Div 2, the league had 2 more vacant spaces. 3 VFA clubs were vying for these 2 spaces. With Geelong West having a regional background as well as giving the Cats a local rival, the Roosters were an easy entrant to the AFL.
View attachment 524699
However with the final spot being contested by the 2 Northern Suburbs clubs of Coburg and Preston neither club was a standout. Preston attracted stars and Coburg had a large stadium with expansive terraces. However, at the 11th-hour officials from both clubs met to propose a merger. The new team was to be known as the Northern Bulls and would split their home games between Preston City Oval and Coburg City Oval. Everything about this team was a compromise however it ends up being better than how both teams fared IRL.
View attachment 524703
And with that my portfolio is now complete. Thank you for staying patient and I hope you enjoyed every design. Stay tuned as I may make a sequel to this portfolio in the near future.

Not sure about Melbourne Bitter on the Geelong West jumper!

beer_21723

Awesome idea man, wish it'd happen, what would the rivalries be? if port adelaide power came in 1997, then the port adelaide magpies vs port adelaide power would be an awesome game if theyre in the same division. and would fitzroy still merge with the brisbane rockets?

itd be an awesome weekend watching the footy. 3 friday night games with 1 each division, same with saturday nights, man that would be epic, well at least st kilda can have a division premiership eh lol
I’d imagine it’d start with rivalries being very similar to what they were in state leagues, however when part 2 rolls around we may end up seeing some very different rivalry as the teams will have had 40 years worth of clashes to base it around. And yeah fixturing would be something crazy, I reckon Friday night will probably be saved for div 1, div 2 and 3 can get Thursday night games for their “blockbusters”.
Fascinating proposition.

Would certainly put an interesting spin on the flags-discussion that dominated earlier in the season.
Tbh not 100% sure on how I’m going to distribute premierships for part 2, may end up ruffling a few feathers with it given there’ll be 40 years of premiers to decide.
Not sure about Melbourne Bitter on the Geelong West jumper!

beer_21723
Tbh I can’t quite remember how I came to the outcome of giving them Melbourne Bitter as a sponsor, I may have seen them playing a game and it had Melbourne Bitter sponsorship on the side of something.

if fitzroy were to merge, i wonder if they'd have merged with subiaco, as theyre also the lions, itd be probably be the Subiaco-Fitzroy Lions

This is a bloody awesome thread Fizzler! Makes me wonder how South Freo would have gone in 1983, as that was the year Stephen Michael was All Australian captain.

champagne comedy.gif

Great thread.

I am sorry but why is Central Districts in there? As of 1983 they had won one final and not won a flag. They had only existed in the league competition for about 20 years at this point. Surely North Adelaide, who have a much longer history and have won far more flags than them would be there instead of them. Glenelg are debatable as well.

Great thread.

I am sorry but why is Central Districts in there? As of 1983 they had won one final and not won a flag. They had only existed in the league competition for about 20 years at this point. Surely North Adelaide, who have a much longer history and have won far more flags than them would be there instead of them. Glenelg are debatable as well.
Was purely based off ladder placings from the 1982 season

Back