The 2019 Jub Jub Memorial Supercars thread

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
I will take you at your word. Picking just one from manufacturers that have more than that, and I may even have missed some:

Audi S4
BMW M3
Holden Commodore
Infiniti Q50
Kia Stinger
Lexus IS
Maserati Ghibli
Mercedes-Benz CLS
Porsche Panemera
Subaru Liberty
Toyota Camry

Genesis G70 (on its way in)
Honda Accord (due to be phased out next year)
If Klyntonius meant he couldn't see a workable series out of this as a premier class, then I agree with him.

I can see a reasonable second tier class like the old GT-Production though.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Triple Eight were pretty serious about it with the ZB, tested the engine and then at the last minute claimed that they pulled out of it because they were worried they couldn't make it competitive with the V8s. That doesn't like a lack of interest to me, that sounds like the V8s are clinging on and potentially costing the series by preventing a move to V6s.

They were very serious about it and shelved it because they were already competitive with a V8 and didn't want to throw more money at the 6 for a series with an uncertain future.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
That's pretty different to saying they "weren't interested".

Audi, BMW, Kia, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Subaru, Toyota and Honda have all had the opportunity to join Supercars if they wanted. Audi, BMW, Merc and Porsche even have v8s and they still didn't join. Hell, Erebus actually ran Mercs and they still didn't want to join. They're not interested.

Audi, BMW, Merc and Porsche race GT instead with Audi's most popular car also racing TCR. Toyota don't race Camry's and the Honda and Subaru are ineligible for your proposal as their future is 4 cylinder engines. That leaves a series based on Commodores, Stingers and niche brand cars. I can't see a workable series here.

Audi, BMW, Kia, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Subaru, Toyota and Honda have all had the opportunity to join Supercars if they wanted. Audi, BMW, Merc and Porsche even have v8s and they still didn't join. Hell, Erebus actually ran Mercs and they still didn't want to join. They're not interested.

When did I say that it would need manufacturer support? Most of the teams currently running don't have it, and to my knowledge the only TCR team with it is Honda.

Audi, BMW, Merc and Porsche race GT instead with Audi's most popular car also racing TCR. Toyota don't race Camry's and the Honda and Subaru are ineligible for your proposal as their future is 4 cylinder engines. That leaves a series based on Commodores, Stingers and niche brand cars. I can't see a workable series here.

GT Championship is in trouble at the moment in Aus. Toyota happily supports NASCAR teams by slapping a Camry label on. Nissan needs some way to get the Infiniti brand out there better, and Hyundai would want a good way to do likewise for Genesis.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
When did I say that it would need manufacturer support?

You didn't and I never said you did but without manufacturer support then the teams get to do all the building and development of new cars and I don't think there's enough engineering and resources for that, nor incentive to go to such lengths basically advertising for a company they get no benefit from.

Nissan needs some way to get the Infiniti brand out there better, and Hyundai would want a good way to do likewise for Genesis.

I doubt they'd be interested in racing their luxury models, especially Hyundai who would be pitting it against their own sports model.

You didn't and I never said you did but without manufacturer support then the teams get to do all the building and development of new cars and I don't think there's enough engineering and resources for that, nor incentive to go to such lengths basically advertising for a company they get no benefit from.

Unless you think they're going to be sticking with the cars they've got for now until eternity, they will be building and developing new cars in this series anyway. This is simply about what the most viable option in the long-term is for the Supercars Championship continuing to exist.

I doubt they'd be interested in racing their luxury models, especially Hyundai who would be pitting it against their own sports model.

Maybe, maybe not, but someone else might be interested even if they aren't, like Erebus were. Nissan no longer support the Kellys either.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Unless you think they're going to be sticking with the cars they've got for now until eternity, they will be building and developing new cars in this series anyway. This is simply about what the most viable option in the long-term is for the Supercars Championship continuing to exist.

I think the current model is dead in the water. I disagree that your alternative is viable in the medium to long term. I think the future is small cars like the TCR series or similar.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Have a go at this mutt

The bloke obviously has so much going for him in life that he's got the time to find a contact number for Reynolds and ring to abuse him. Shame Dave didn't answer the phone but the tough guy probably rang at 11 at night when no one was around. What a winner!!

The bloke obviously has so much going for him in life that he's got the time to find a contact number for Reynolds and ring to abuse him. Shame Dave didn't answer the phone but the tough guy probably rang at 11 at night when no one was around. What a winner!!
Massive life he's having there lol

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
That actually makes a lotta sense.
insult.gif

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Scotty wins again, wonder what idiot Reynolds will have to say ??

The Bend to host next year's first enduro, pretty exciting.

Back