Analysis A win, although not a triumph. Pies by 17 over Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury update please peeps?
I saw Elliot walk onto the ground after the game and he didn't have any ice on which he has had in teh past so not sure where the hamstring story comes from.

From the AFL site:

Josh Daicos twice left the field in the third quarter and was ruled out after failing a concussion test. Scott Pendlebury (ankle) went to the bench in the fourth term.

I saw Elliot walk onto the ground after the game and he didn't have any ice on which he has had in teh past so not sure where the hamstring story comes from.

From the AFL site:

Josh Daicos twice left the field in the third quarter and was ruled out after failing a concussion test. Scott Pendlebury (ankle) went to the bench in the fourth term.

There is none only interpretation of facial expressions. He played 90 of the 119 minutes so nothing seems out of place, yet.

Sounds like we were pretty good until 3 quarter time, kicked the first of the last and then took the foot off and tested sore players?

I think it’s more important to preserve fit players than go for the percentage myself.

Its all in the hands of the injury gods from here mate - yes we looked terrible but we are right down to scraps and bit players with the list at present.

If we get enough stars back and playing well we may advance - if not . . . well it will be a struggle.
Can't agree. Even in our goalless first quarter, I thought the signs were very good. Our tackling and general intensity was first class and Melbourne were applying their own pressure too. The second and third were excellent. I thought Varcoe and Thomas showed the touch and spark they have been lacking for weeks and a number of boys looked to be getting their mojo back as far as intensity is concerned. Last quarter was annoying but as others have said-take the four points and move on.

Last edited:
Relieved to win the game and secure our finals spot. Though, it has to be said it was a strange game in some ways.

Mihocek was the highlight of the day. Really stepped up in the second quarter when the game was demanding it. Loved his work around the contests and found the goals on multiple occasions. Always been a fan of him from when he debuted.

I don't think moving Roughead up forward worked. It was worth experimenting, but his best work is done down back.

Enjoyed the second and third quarters, but the first and last quarter were as poor as I've seen all season. Our run and dare from last year isn't present this year, and the players seem unwilling to take any sort of risks.

No matter how the season plays out, I think the coaching staff need to re-evaluate the game plan and consider the type of football we want to play in 2020 because we've played ugly football too often for my liking this year.

Very low crowd today. Even lower than last week's match against the Gold Coast. I suppose there were various factors for it, but it surprised me to see how empty the MCG was for an all-Victorian game involving Collingwood.

Consider it an intervention- I’m trying to make you a better supporter.

You need a lot of help.

Seriously just piss off.

You're absolutely obsessed with me and it's getting a touch creepy. I have free real estate in your head and honestly I don't want it. Hoping to offload.

Relieved to win the game and secure our finals spot. Though, it has to be said it was a strange game in some ways.

Mihocek was the highlight of the day. Really stepped up in the second quarter when the game was demanding it. Loved his work around the contests and found the goals on multiple occasions. Always been a fan of him from when he debuted.

I don't think moving Roughead up forward worked. It was worth experimenting, but his best work is done down back.

Enjoyed the second and third quarters, but the first and last quarter were as poor as I've seen all season. Our run and dare from last year isn't present this year, and the players seem unwilling to take any sort of risks.

No matter how the season plays out, I think the coaching staff need to re-evaluate the game plan and consider the type of football we want to play in 2020 because we've played ugly football too often for my liking this year.

Very low crowd today. Even lower than last week's match against the Gold Coast. I suppose there were various factors for it, but it surprised me to see how empty the MCG was for an all-Victorian game involving Collingwood.
Demons home game probably helped that. All the pie home members wouldn’t have come.
If it was ours probably 40-45?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Howe said it best in his post game interview "If you want to see what Collingwood footy is like, just take a look at our 2nd and 3rd quarters"

Our best has never been an issue. Doubt anyone has an issue with how our best holds up.

Our problem all year has been our ability to produce it consistently each week and for more than a quarter or two or a 10 minute burst here and there.

A win is a win is a win without half your team

Our best has never been an issue. Doubt anyone has an issue with how our best holds up.

Our problem all year has been our ability to produce it consistently each week and for more than a quarter or two or a 10 minute burst here and there.
I think that is probably correct, I think what Howe was alluding to was, if we put 4 of those quarters together, we are pretty much unbeatable

I think that is probably correct, I think what Howe was alluding to was, if we put 4 of those quarters together, we are pretty much unbeatable

I'd argue we're unbeatable if we do it for 2 or 3.

As long as those 2 quarters are the first and last. Hold ground in the middle 2. First half of the season we were one of the best 1st quarter teams in history which set up a lot of our early season wins.

As soon as we stopped winning first quarters, we started losing games as well.

Are you frightened to discuss differing views & opinions that don't mirror yours?

The funny thing is, I found almost 10 other posts that mentioned how we blew our chance for percentage and yet only MINE was singled out.

It's funny how you literally never see the "negative" posters target any other members of this board every time they post. We give our opinions (right, wrong, negative, positive or otherwise) and move on.

So many of the "positive" posters wait in the shadows for us to post just so they can take pot shots, all with no repercussions from the mods and yet we're the ones deemed negative.

Utter crap.

If you make absurd and idiotic posts then you can expect appropriate corrections - grow up and stop playing the victim.

Sure mate.

That's why you ignored all these right?

Poor first and last quarter but got the job done and kept pressure on Tigers/Lions... all we can really do atm

Last quarter was disappointing.We have a habit of taking our foot off the opposition’s throat when we have a good lead,and we did it again today.On a positive note we’ve made the finals again,and still have a chance for top four if Richmond slip up.

Percentage is going to be important to our ladder position and possibly double chance or not. Very disappointing to let them kick the last four goals of the game.

Despite trying to get themselves up with over the top goal celebrations the dees were always too far back to win that.

We stopped to less than a crawl and ceased taking the game on with 10-15 remaining meaning we never looked like scoring late.

Disappointing we blew the chance to boost our percentage; 6-7 goals was the minimum we should have won by.

fu**en disgrace that’s all I’ve got. By the way reckon Elliott did another hammy

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would've taken a one point win before the game.

We did enough. I know we could've won by more and should've, but I'll take the win.

Horrible last quarter and shocking umpiring.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like the above, I just pointed out how we missed an opportunity to gain percentage. You're just obsessed. Stalker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back