News Peter Ladhams departs for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I wrong in saying that Ladhams' improvement has coincided with Dean Brogan coming on as ruck coach. He has shown potential before, but his improvement has been j-curve this year working under Brogan!

You're not wrong in saying that, but I'm not sure it's a causative relationship.

Ruckmen take a while to develop Ladhams was a tall skinny kid with injury concerns his first couple of season. He looks like he found the keys to the gym and had a good solid off-season where he has developed his frame, fitness and obvious natural talent.

That's not to say Brogan hasn't accelerated that development. Ladhams is already playing with real confidence, and looks like he believes in himself and that he can genuinely contribute.

You know what gets me real excited, Hayes and Ladhams working in tandem. Now that's really exciting.

Ladhams after a preseason may well go past Lycett, and Hayes is not far behind, and should easily be our best ruckman in a couple years.

Lycett is fantastic. Don't even.

Big beefy ruckmen can go on and on to maybe 33-34 years of age.
Often they get better at it too. Perhaps Mummy has gone on one year too many, but up till now he is an example of this outcome.
Lycett will still have significant value as a trade in 2 years as a result. Either by continuing with us, or as a trade. Even then he may have 3-4 years left in him.
Even the stick insect types like Goldstein have surprised me with their form. Injuries will prevent Ryder from going on to emulate the longevity of this guy. He's got 1 good year left in him IMO.
It's interesting how good our recruiters have been in accumulating both terrific or potentially terrific ruckmen. Some purely by luck (Hayes). But sadly it means we are going to have to jettison at least one, when I don't want to lose any of them.
Yep fair enough. What I meant though is that Lycett (even on current value/form) will be third best of the three.

Pistol Pete. It's like having a 205cm ruck rover in the side. Really backs himself in to win the ball and do something with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best thing is he is PA bred....

We could be witnessing something special here...

I know I am going early here but never thought I would see a ruckman like Lade ever again......well we could be witnessing something on a whole new level...

Feild kicking is a elite clean strong and silk...words you don't usually use to describe a ruckman.

always a big fan of Ladhams because is his skill set, just needed to build the tank and get serious, i was afraid a club with half a brain would have thrown big money at him but luckily he stayed

always a big fan of Ladhams because is his skill set, just needed to build the tank and get serious, i was afraid a club with half a brain would have thrown big money at him but luckily he stayed

Sounds like clubs did throw big money at him but he stayed here anyway.

I bumped this thread on 22nd April after a 22 month gap because of the tweet by Swamp about Peter being potentially the 5th 2 metre Peter to be play in the AFL. I said he was playing nicely for the Magpies, had gone past Billy and has a chance to join that rather exclusive club of Two Metre Peters in the AFL if he keeps improving.

4th May, 12 days later after watching him play 2 more dominate SANFL games I said He''s ready! Anyone who had any doubts, surely would have eliminated them after today's game.

Now he didn't play against a lot of competition today, but its what he does away from trying to get the hit out that stands out about his play.

12 kicks, 11 handballs, 12 contested possessions, 7 clearances with 2 at centre bounces, 6 score involvements, 1 goal assist, 4 marks, 2 rebound 50's, 6 inside 50's, 320m gained and 19 hit outs.

And he has a fair kick on him for a big bloke. the point he kicked went 55m.

Next week Goldstein might monster him in the ruck, more so at throw ins and around the ground stoppages than at centre bounces. but he is still going to get a lot of the ball running around the ground and making Goldstein work his arse off to keep up with him.

Last edited: