Review Round 21 - Lions v Suns. Gabba Saturday 4:35pm

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Day been good. Swallow a warrior. Caleb a good debut. Sexton the opportunist.

That's about as much to take out of this.

Miles out of the midfield has really shown IMO. We lost a lot of grunt when he got injured in the second quarter. Smashed in the clearances (even moreso than normal()

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
We absolutely are. Think of what Dew has at his hands.

We are a few kicks off being 6-7 wins. (also that from being no wins mind you)

Without guys like Ablett, Lynch and May.

We've had some blowouts but they haven't been as frequent as last year.

It's hard to see it on nights like this, but it's there.
So give me examples of how we have improved, I can’t see it in our skills, results, structure, player development or physicality l. No doubt the effort is there but it’s hardy something Dew should be hanging his hat on

EDIT, Reading this back it sounds like I am having a go at you which is not the case. I genuinely can’t see improvement

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Well, as much I like Dew, I think he did not set by example and ate too much pie.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Day been good. Swallow a warrior. Caleb a good debut. Sexton the opportunist.

That's about as much to take out of this.

Miles out of the midfield has really shown IMO. We lost a lot of grunt when he got injured in the second quarter. Smashed in the clearances (even moreso than normal()
Thank you for being constructive Sunny_

All this doomsaying and crapping on players that we were praising not too long ago in this thread today is trampling all over my last nerves.

We knew it was going to be like this, Brisbane are a top 4 side. What did you expect? Turn it up, Stop expecting an overnight fix.

Dewy is not Harry freaking Potter, He can't change the fortunes of the team with a wave of a magic wand.

We're cooked, Lets just get out of the season and move on for christ sake.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My concern is that the confidence of the group may be shot after the longest losing streak in our history. This current team is not only incapable of winning, but has appeared to have forgotten what is required to win.
The only way out is to continue to work really hard over another preseason, hopefully pick up another 4 - 6 good players, including some experienced players, and un-earth a couple of A-Graders because we just don’t currently have any. Then we have to cut out the injuries and retain the kids. Going to need a lot to go right just to get off the bottom of the ladder next year.

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My concern is that the confidence of the group may be shot after the longest losing streak in our history. This current team is not only incapable of winning, but has appeared to have forgotten what is required to win.
The only way out is to continue to work really hard over another preseason, hopefully pick up another 4 - 6 good players, including some experienced players, and un-earth a couple of A-Graders because we just don’t currently have any. Then we have to cut out the injuries and retain the kids. Going to need a lot to go right just to get off the bottom of the ladder next year.
Completely agree

If anyone wants to see improvement, we set the goal of signing 10 out of the 14 out of contract players - we’re currently at 11.

If the team wasn’t progressing, they wouldn’t have signed on - if they believe in the rebuild so do I. Not all things can be measured in W&L

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Thank you for being constructive Sunny_

All this doomsaying and crapping on players that we were praising not too long ago in this thread today is trampling all over my last nerves.

We knew it was going to be like this, Brisbane are a top 4 side. What did you expect? Turn it up, Stop expecting an overnight fix.

Dewy is not Harry freaking Potter, He can't change the fortunes of the team with a wave of a magic wand.

We're cooked, Lets just get out of the season and move on for christ sake.
Who it that Harry freakin Potter you speak of, is he available to coach. ;)

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
He was coming on really well before he broke down IMO

No, just no

Not in same stratosphere as Taranto and McCluggage who went just before him in the draft.

Plays forward doesn't kick.goals, plays midfield and doesn't get it enough.

Should just play forward next year as has never been a consistent mid, even at junior level.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
No, just no

Not in same stratosphere as Taranto and McCluggage who went just before him in the draft.

Plays forward doesn't kick.goals, plays midfield and doesn't get it enough.

Should just play forward next year as has never been a consistent mid, even at junior level.
He was fantastic through the middle in his last half of the season as a U/18. Just hasn’t been given the mid time he needs to develop. Hard for him to play consistent footy as a forward for us. He is a lead up forward for a team that can’t hit a target. Put him in the lions he kicks 35 a year

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
The Suns would beat them by 150 points that is Melbourne media nonsense. They would destroy them.
Subiaco is WA team, Glenelg is SA team. You go and watch how well drilked is their team. Barlow Werribee just beat Hawthorn VFL team with 42 disposal. Just look at GCS NEAFL team shoenfield, GHS, Murdoch, Peter Wright anf Martin.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
The Suns would beat them by 150 points that is Melbourne media nonsense. They would destroy them.

For some context the Geelong VFL team beat Port last week. The bottom 15 players on an AFL list is better than the best stand alone VFL/state league team in the land.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Subiaco is WA team, Glenelg is SA team. You go and watch how well drilked is their team. Barlow Werribee just beat Hawthorn VFL team with 42 disposal. Just look at GCS NEAFL team shoenfield, GHS, Murdoch, Peter Wright anf Martin.

So would Barlow get 42 touches in the AFL or just in the VFL?

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
So would Barlow get 42 touches in the AFL or just in the VFL?
Does it matters? Just look at Lyons. You can keep drafting top 10 pick and get Murdoch, Hanley, GHS, miles type in, but result won't change. Good players will end up like prestia, O meara, may and Lynch all walk out eventually. GCS just shifting problem like musical chair every season.
If we don't have injuries, this and that , if injuries is the main problem go and solve it.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Does it matters? Just look at Lyons. You can keep drafting top 10 pick and get Murdoch, Hanley, GHS, miles type in, but result won't change. Good players will end up like prestia, O meara, may and Lynch all walk out.
Why are you here?

Back