Footy Dept. Soon to be ex-GM - List & Recruiting Adrian Dodoro #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Have not changed my view. Not in the best few IMO but certainly not in the last few. Has done some really good work with the help of Merv Keane but I still think we have had an issue with picking flankers and trying to turn them into midfielders. The plus is there has not really been any total stuff up drafts even if there have been a few misses .

Again I touch on my point how good this man has been with late picks.
Look at last night's side:
Tippa McKenna Ambrose McKernan all rookies
Brown 54
D Clarke 63
Guelfi 76
Hartley 68
Snelling mid year
If you add Fanta as 55 and Draper as a rookie that's half a team there.
Amazing
Brown, Hartley and McKernan were all known fringe quantity and 2 of the 3 probably wouldn't get a game if Hurley and Daniher played last night. Meaning they're still AFL fringe.

Fantasia wasn't so much Dodoro as Bassett selling his assets.

Tippa, McKenna, Ambrose all ticks. Clarke just about there with question marks still over Guelfi and Snelling.

He's done ok with the back end as you've pointed out, but as ant555 correctly summarises he's still only middle of the pack.

I think the whole list management team deserve credit for identifying the fact that the game was trending towards aerobic capacity and going out and beefing up that area of the list with genuine footballers that can run.

Last edited:

If we win a flag with our current list, you lot will be lining up to give the great man wristies.
Nope I'll be to busy hugging Woosha.

The bumping of this thread sorta helped proved me point though don't you think?

When we were losing it wasn't Adrian's fault and sack Woosha. Now we're winning it's platitudes galore for Dodoro.

Trending? It's been that way for 20 years.

2 of the last 3 premiers have been run, run, run, hack the ball forward somewhere and make it up as we go along. Plus the interchange cap.

The type of player we used to draft were so far out of sync with that it was rendering us uncompetitive, but the dial has started to shift a fair bit.

Nope I'll be to busy hugging Woosha.

The bumping of this thread sorta helped proved me point though don't you think?

When we were losing it wasn't Adrian's fault and sack Woosha. Now we're winning it's platitudes galore for Dodoro.
I was commenting on Dodoro, not Woosha.

I'd be willing to go all the way with Woosha if we won the flag. He has turned things around beautifully.

Anyone who’s potted this bloke is kidding themselves. The job he’s done over the past five years while dealing with draft sanctions and wantaway players has been superb.

In that time I’d almost class the recruiting of Cooney as his only major error. A shitload of stuff he’s touched has turned to gold. s**t situations like Carlisle and Crameri have worked out in our favour and some of the work with late draft picks and rookies and been staggeringly good.

Anyone who’s potted this bloke is kidding themselves. The job he’s done over the past five years while dealing with draft sanctions and wantaway players has been superb.

In that time I’d almost class the recruiting of Cooney as his only major error. A s**tload of stuff he’s touched has turned to gold. s**t situations like Carlisle and Crameri have worked out in our favour and some of the work with late draft picks and rookies and been staggeringly good.
I do think bunk that the recruitment of cooney, gwilt and the centrefold J Giles were driven by knowledge that bans were most likely coming and we needed to beef the list up with some competent experience. Sadly in Giles case that was wildly unsuccessful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think bunk that the recruitment of cooney, gwilt and the centrefold J Giles were driven by knowledge that bans were most likely coming and we needed to beef the list up with some competent experience. Sadly in Giles case that was wildly unsuccessful
Giles was odd. He was literally the perfect pick up on paper.

Giles was odd. He was literally the perfect pick up on paper.
Unfortunately for the big man he
1) showed up unfit
2) had a bad nab cup
3) had worse vfl form
Only played as we had literally no one else.
People sooking with us having bellcho Clarke and Draper as rucks need to remember one year our two rucks were bellcho and giles.

Unfortunately for the big man he
1) showed up unfit
2) had a bad nab cup
3) had worse vfl form
Only played as we had literally no one else.
People sooking with us having bellcho Clarke and Draper as rucks need to remember one year our two rucks were bellcho and giles.
Nah his VFL form was still pretty solid.

Fun fact: Giles is the only player ever to play all four of the WAFL, VFL, SANFL and NEAFL seniors.

Wasn't there a run in of sorts.

Hird basically refused to pick Giles. Something to do with what Knox mentioned above.

Think it was pre-season shape. There was also the Smack non-promotion debacle.

Reckon they also tried to ban the 2011/2012 recruits from playing NAB cup for solidarity...at least 3 of whom were delisted at the end of the year.

Twas a good year, 2015.

Met him at the Lions game last year (he was having trouble outside the ground with phone reception).

Lovely bloke. Didn't take the credit - said "our team" a lot. Also said arguably hardest gig outside coaching.

Said be patient - building a list and he said we got a few F/S in the next 1-5 years who could be champs like their dads.

I think the whole list management team deserve credit for identifying the fact that the game was trending towards aerobic capacity and going out and beefing up that area of the list with genuine footballers that can run.
There was a time 5-6 years ago when most Essendon fans seemed to agree that foot speed was our big problem. Not such a problem now haha.
Good on you jackets.

Before we moved on to "big bodied midfielder". Didn't get that (apart from Kyle) but we seem to be doing ok cracking in at present.

Daniher is the big challenge for our recruiting team at present. We all want him to get back to AA legend status but we could have a large, expensive gangly hole in our list that we can't fill until we know one way or another.

Some have been impatient for 15 years
our biggest rival (Pies) have played off in 5 GF's since our last appearance in one.
Ok, they lost 4 of those, but they lost to some pretty good teams (Cats and Lions dynasties, and the Eagles were on the same level as them last year).

Hawks after that have appeared in 4 for 3 wins.

We're lagging. Impatience isn't unexpected.

People can lay the blame on John Woorsfold all they want but this is the bloke who has assembled the list for Woosha to coach. It. is. insipid

Furthermore, not only does Adrian have an over inflated ego he has poorly misjudged our list by topping up with players we probably didn't necessarily need (not saying they're nice to have, but with our current position, those draft picks would be more handy than the players).

I want a Tom Browne or someone like that to start a bushfire and ask John Worsfold if this bloke is safe. He shouldn't be.

Oh, but we won trade week/period/wahtever the **** you want to call it but sorry, that don't cut it with me no more. We pride ourselves on being a top club, unfortunately, with our weak as piss effort we've turnt into a laughing stock of this competition.

Do something about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back