Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
I thought Bines showed something today, in what? - his 2nd game. Took a few big grabs and was a target. Needs to learn to kick though. Could be good for another year, and let him have a big preseason, and a good run at it.

bunkyboy

Club Legend
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Rotham best out there by a mile and next best was Cole.

That Bailey Williams sure looks like he has some talent.

Ah Chee is such a tease.... does some wonderful things, but he drifts in and out of games and really doesn't do enough.

Our shots at goal.... the accuracy was deplorable and absolutely s**t today , had Perth been a better team then the inaccuracy may well have cost us the game.

FFD :anguished: so depressing and alarming :rotatinglight:, our midfield depth is a real worry.

A summary of the mids performance today. ( Warning its not pretty reading ).
Brady Grey looking the most consistent of our mids, Brayshaw looks better each game whereas Ainsworth looks to be getting worse, by God Ainsworth looked slow today as well. ( Still pisses me off :rage: that we took him ahead of both Worpel & Constable )

Sadly, I think M Allen will be delisted at seasons end with out having even notched up 1 game.

Regarding the drafting debate on Brayden Ainsworth. Can we clarify that Worpel didn’t want to leave Victoria.

That means it was a choice between Ainsworth and Constable. Constable hasn’t played since round 9 after being ‘rested’. Maybe he wasn’t ready for AFL yet.

Given that both players are 20, it’s fair to say they are both developing.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
lol. He really hasn’t and if you don’t know why then you’re not very football savvy. He’s fallen out of the because our team defence hasn’t been as effective as last year. Cole was caught covering arse too often with no help. Nelson is better at locking down and that’s why he’s in the team.

Cole is a better footballer in 2019 than 2018 and will be better again in 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What are your thoughts about using the summer to shift Cole to the midfield? He played there for decent chunks in his junior career and we have an appalling group of mids at the WAFL level.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Did you watch last weeks game?
I did and a similar flavour to what I said on the podcast.

We really have neglected drafting good inside mids.

• Ainsworth has some good attributes but his kicking concerned me in the U18 carnival and has proven to be a liability in his game.
  • Ah Chee is too often a 1 attempt trick. He fails to go for the second and third effort in the contest
  • Foley has not had a great run this year but my concern was he had great endurance and SFA hurt factor meaning at best he’s a hbf (well behind Coke, Rotham and Watson)
  • Brayshaw is slow but may need more time
  • MAllen looks slow by hand and though when playing midfield- probably delist season end

Aug 4, 2004
Lilliput
AFL Club
West Coast
M
We should be recruiting a midfield talent identifier.

We excel in most areas of the club but identifying and drafting mids has been shocking for a very long time.
Maybe this is what they’re hoping Scott Clayton can add. Wasn’t one of the knocks on him was that he kept drafting mids to the exclusion of key position players? And that as a result the Bulldogs ended up with an unbalanced list.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Regarding the drafting debate on Brayden Ainsworth. Can we clarify that Worpel didn’t want to leave Victoria.

That means it was a choice between Ainsworth and Constable. Constable hasn’t played since round 9 after being ‘rested’. Maybe he wasn’t ready for AFL yet.

Ainsworth has played one more year of senior footy though so he should be more developed already. The not wanting to leave Victoria thing is bullshit also.

How many players do you think genuinely want to leave their home state? Of course they want to stay but doesn’t stop them getting drafted.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Do we know that for a fact?

I keep hearing things like that and Stack having to leave WA etc but never really see anything in the press.

bunkyboy

Club Legend
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
What are your thoughts about using the summer to shift Cole to the midfield? He played there for decent chunks in his junior career and we have an appalling group of mids at the WAFL level.

Lols no. He struggles to get more than 15 touches off half back.

Oct 9, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Don't think that drafting a promising player that a player that doesn't want to leave their home state should even be an issue. Firstly there's always a possibility that they might become settled here, and secondly if they become a gun we could make a profit by getting a good trade out of them (e.g. Tim Kelly).

bunkyboy

Club Legend
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Do we know that for a fact?

I keep hearing things like that and Stack having to leave WA etc but never really see anything in the press.

This is what Truckosaurus said in April in the Brayden Ainsworth thread.

[QUOTE="Truckosaurus, post: 60194227, member: 93417"

I thought the word was Worpel didn't want to leave Victoria. The reason Constable slid so far in the draft is probably down to not being a sexy enough type of player, or something equally stupid.
[/QUOTE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

As others have said, lots of kids that nominate for the draft don't want to leave their home state, yet once they make the move they settle in an adjust.

By way of example Cerra didn't want to leave Melbourne and he did and then signed a contract extension, he is but one of many kids that whilst reluctant to move end up doing so.
The point being good strong Clubs back themselves in to create a culture where Inter State kid want to stay.

You seem happy with Ainsworth development otherwise you wouldn't be defending his performances.

He has regressed this season and I find that a concern.
I didn't like the pick when we first drafted him ( I have been consistently vocal on that since we drafted him. ) while that may offend you, I see nothing with his development that suggest my initial assessment of him was off.
His ball drop is significantly flawed and results in mis directed kicks that don't hit targets and kicks that get too much elevation and put the ball on the leading players head.

He is certainly not on his own , but the midfield depth that we have accumulated these past five years is substandard and it concerns me that if , we have a spate of midfield injuries , then we are going to be caught short of AFL standard midfielders to replace them.

The midfield is where the game is won or lost and the fact that we have a real shortage of young half decent midfielders coming through, should be a red flag for all WC supporters.

We drafts so well in all other areas of need and positions in the game and yet we have a blind spot, for drafting AFL quality midfielders.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Thanks for that.

There's a poster on here who keeps saying "he had to get out of WA" to succeed and that doesn't
seem to be the case.
It was the crowd around Stack that was holding him back from meeting standards. He also needed a club away from Perth that had a strong culture.

Apart from Ablett, Sumich said something in an U18 interview and Bond confirmed it.

Francis, cole and rotham are absolute walk-ins for any other backline in the AFL... Francis hasn’t been offered a contract for next season but I’m sure he will.

Watson is contracted for 2020

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It was the crowd around Stack that was holding him back from meeting standards. He also needed a club away from Perth that had a strong culture.

Apart from Ablett, Sumich said something in an U18 interview and Bond confirmed it.

Maybe.

But I've never heard or read anything that said he had to leave Perth.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
The Ainsworth/Worpel discussion is interesting. The issue is WCE and the Hawks are in completely opposite situations. WCE has a quality midfield that is set where as the Hawks dont have a lot going on there especially after Mitchells ACL.

Even with his deficiencies it is possible that Ainsworth would be playing AFL if he was drafted by the Hawks. He managed to get some games with us last year after all. If Worpel was with us he would likely be spending most of his time in the WAFL and be asking for a trade come seasons end.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
As others have said, lots of kids that nominate for the draft don't want to leave their home state, yet once they make the move they settle in an adjust.

By way of example Cerra didn't want to leave Melbourne and he did and then signed a contract extension, he is but one of many kids that whilst reluctant to move end up doing so.
The point being good strong Clubs back themselves in to create a culture where Inter State kid want to stay.

You seem happy with Ainsworth development otherwise you wouldn't be defending his performances.

I didn't like the pick when we first drafted him ( I have been consistently vocal on that since we drafted him. ) while that may offend you, I see nothing with his development that suggest my initial assessment of him was off.
His ball drop is significantly flawed and results in mis directed kicks that don't hit targets and kicks that get too much elevation and put the ball on the leading players head.

He is certainly not on his own , but the midfield depth that we have accumulated these past five years is substandard and it concerns me that if , we have a spate of midfield injuries , then we are going to be caught short of AFL standard midfielders to replace them.

The midfield is where the game is won or lost and the fact that we have a real shortage of young half decent midfielders coming through, should be a red flag for all WC supporters.

We drafts so well in all other areas of need and positions in the game and yet we have a blind spot, for drafting AFL quality midfielders.

Good points put forward there. Agree, I don't think Ainsworth will make it. His kicking has improved, but it lacks penetration, and his kicks are slow - he needs lessons from Jetta. He is also too slow across the ground. The cupboard is a little bare. Nelson could be channeled to the midfield without too much bother, but I don't know who else could make the shift inside.

bunkyboy

Club Legend
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast

You do sound pretty angry about this and look, no I’m not offended, I just have a different view on the subject.

The point is though that is is highly likely that West Coast didn’t pick Worpel because he had made it known he didn’t want to leave Victoria. That meant it was a choice between Ainsworth and Constable. That they chose a WA boy who dominated in the U/18 carnival and was selected in the All Australian side surely wasn’t unreasonable.

http://footyprophet.com/afl-draft-profile-brayden-ainsworth/

Of course Ainsworth can improve and I hope he does because in my opinion he has the tools to succeed.

Ainsworth’s kicking has been fine this year and in general his DE has been good. The thing is he hasn’t been finding as much of the ball. Whether having an interrupted pre-season because of the finger surgery has affected him I don’t know.

It was only three weeks ago that the live stream commentators and posters on here were praising his game and noted some of his kicks were excellent. I’ve noticed his non-preferred kicking has been pretty good this year too. You have a crack at me for defending Ainsworth yet I note that you have not commented on here when he has had a good game.

How many of the WAFL games have you watched this year? Last week he was very quiet in the first half but bounced back in the second half to have a noticeable influence on the Beagles comeback.

I have no issue agreeing yesterday wasn’t his best game.

How were our current core of midfielders going when they were 20?

Last edited:

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
[QUOTE

The point is though that is is highly likely that West Coast didn’t pick Worpel because he had made it known he didn’t want to leave Victoria.
[/QUOTE]

Do you have anything that says that other than someone saying it on the draft/rumour board?

He wasn't an early pick so I doubt he made it known he didn't want to leave Victoria.

Most players just want to get on a list.
Might be different for really high picks.

We might've just picked the wrong one.

Last edited:

bunkyboy

Club Legend
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
[QUOTE

The point is though that is is highly likely that West Coast didn’t pick Worpel because he had made it known he didn’t want to leave Victoria.

Do you have anything that says that other than someone saying it on the draft/rumour board?

He wasn't an early pick so I doubt he made it know he didn't want to leave Victoria.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I don’t!

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
S

He wasn't an early pick so I doubt he made it know he didn't want to leave Victoria.

Sorry, I don’t!
[/QUOTE]
Sounds like we just got it wrong.

You win some you lose some I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back