AFL Autopsy Rnd 21: Chewed up and spat out by the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Ran around getting flogged like our standard Essendon preseason games (where we don't have to try because we are really a top 4 list full of guns).

Ruthlessness only comes from the top.
Sack the coach and those that pull the strings and shuffle some established players out will get you a culture shock.
I said a year ago trade Merrett out. We don't need a kick chasing down hill skier setting an example for the rest.
James Hird wouldn't have tolerated this. Wish he was still our coach.
fu** Ben Simmons too!
In Hird’s last few couple of months as coach there were losses by 69, 110, 87 and 112 points. But yeah Hird wouldn’t have allowed this!

I'd been planning for months to have my Dockers supporting mate over to watch the Essendon vs Freo match. I wonder if he'll expect me to watch the ENTIRE game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way I see it....the end of this season is like a game of footy where you are a long way behind. and spend all your petrol tickets catching up...climbing that mountain. Often when you get there you have nothing left and lose anyway.

Our season was nearly stuffed but our team dug deep and came from behind 5 times in a row to to keep it alive. Amazing but at a cost. Lets be honest we only just got past Gold coast...and look what Lions did to them today. We have not been overly convincing. We could have lost all those games too.

The fact we have 8 or 9 best 22 players out..no ruck, no FF, no CHB, or reigning best and fairest, one of our best possibly AA small attacking Defenders....and others out. Our structure is stuffed. It is no coincidence every year the teams that go well at the pointy end are pretty healthy. Smith and even Snelling would add some ferociousness and never give up fight.

Hooker struggling, Heppell and Fantasia and others hobbled but being selected.

Then some really poor players being selected as well does not help.

Those players deep down know we are cooked even before taking the field and it showed. A lot of this game is played between the ears and I think they are mentally shot.

Now there is no excuse for the efforts of some or most but I really think we had that coming. It does not look good for the rest of the year but what can you do when you field a team that has far too many VFL standard players. We have nobody else that was going to stop what happened tonight....200 points both teams vfl and afl lost. Realistically I don't expect much now. Seasons over.

What are you exactly trying to say? We can have a dozen out and not serve up the effort we did tonight. It was insipid.
what im trying to say is that "lack of effort" and "insipid" is an argument lacking any sort of context or nuance.

when you have a third of the team trying to play catch up on a system that depends to a large degree on the players that they're replacing, pitted against an opposition that has only one injury to a top tier player, the result may look like lack of effort to you, but it seemed more to me like we almost literally brought short people to a pole vaulting competition.

Anyway, if it helps, you keep on raging.:fist:

there you go - necessity. necessity got baguley, myers, mcniece, zach clarke, and probably Heppell and Mckernan a game tonight. just look at who they've got out and who we've got out.

View attachment 724211View attachment 724212
The suns haven't lost by 100 points all year. Collingwood have a ton of injuries and they haven't been smashed by 100 points. Heck, our top ups literally gave more effort than tonight in every single one of our games in 2016, including against Bulldogs in their premiership year.

Tonight was all about the effort. You can excuse about 30 points for injuries. Maybe 40 points. But 100? Nope.
Also, we continue to collect the injuries due to our s**t fitness and conditioning.

what im trying to say is that "lack of effort" and "insipid" is an argument lacking any sort of context or nuance.

when you have a third of the team trying to play catch up on a system that depends to a large degree on the players that they're replacing, pitted against an opposition that has only one injury to a top tier player, the result may look like lack of effort to you, but it seemed more to me like we almost literally brought short people to a pole vaulting competition.

Anyway, if helps, you keep on raging.:fist:

effort has nothing to do with roles, or systems. The guys we brought in weren't all exactly kids either now were they?

You can make excuses all you (and the rest of the people who don't want to accept it) want, but the reality is we had no effort tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back