Good luck Jarryd Lyons

Remove this Banner Ad

Good on him.

Took three clubs and and a dam good coach to get the best out of him.

I doubt anyone here would have picked him ahead of MCrouch when we.gave him a one year deal and he looked elsewhere.

He would never have been this good with us and without being rejected by two clubs to motivate him.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good on him.

I doubt anyone here would have picked him ahead of MCrouch when we.gave him a one year deal and he looked elsewhere.

He would never have been this good with us and without being rejected by two clubs to motivate him.

Rubbish.

All he needed was a chance and some confidence.

Good on him.

Every time he shows himself you come up with a new condition to downplay his performances.

Let’s look at the 2 clubs that didn’t value him:

Us - enough said
Gold Coast - enough said

And “to motivate him”. That’s a pretty s**t comment. Even when repeatedly sub for us he kept presenting. We gave him one year of decent game time and he did well.

Last year at the Gold Coast he carried a leg injury and Gold Coast are a basket case.

We moved him on because we needed to make room for Gibbs which has proven to be a massive utensil up from a club that’s making lots of s**t decisions.

Good on him.

You are suggesting Lyons has only come good this season? Last year he was injured but prior to that he was very good at Gold Coast. But dont take my word for it. Watch the replay of Juniors 300th. Lyons was dominant and the reason GC won that day. But that was only one of many that year...You really have no idea.

There seems to be a persistent myth about Lyons being "let go" by Adelaide.......that didnt happen. He was offered a contract as a required player after a much improved season following the demise of that bloody ridiculous green vest! Anyone remember that one???? How much football Jaryd missed during his first 2 seasons thanks to that abomination. Was it a such a strange coincidence that when that rule was eventually dumped he flourished in our first 22??
The truth is that Jarryd was targeted by GC while we were busy chasing our tails with Gibbs (the first time around) to the point where the Gibbs deal ran down to the last second and left us with no time to negotiate with Jarryd.

and anyone who thinks this is his first good season in the AFL are full of s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe it was a mistake for our club to favour MCrouch, CEY and Greenwood ahead of Lyons. That was the decision. He was not in the same depth chart as Mackay and Douglas.

Right now you would take Lyons ahead of CEY and Greenwood.

But back then?

The club did offer him a one year deal. He got a better one else where.

We all complain about our midfield being one paced. He was another one of our one paced midfielders. We can not carry too many of them. We have too many as it is.

In any case a player like Lyons is not our current midfield issue. We lack explosive pace, hardness and creativity at an elite level. This is why any decent midfield kills us.This is not him. Charlie Cameron as a mid is what we need right now. Or a similar player type.

Lyons shouldn't have been let go so easily/at all.

But You're underestimating how long he was a thoroughly mediocre player for. He was drafted in 2010 and mostly he was just nowhere near the side in his first two years.

Both recruited by us, but Lyons will have a far superior career than Mackay could ever dream off by the end of it.

Maybe it was a mistake for our club to favour MCrouch, CEY and Greenwood ahead of Lyons. That was the decision. He was not in the same depth chart as Mackay and Douglas.

Right now you would take Lyons ahead of CEY and Greenwood.

But back then?

The club did offer him a one year deal. He got a better one else where.

We all complain about our midfield being one paced. He was another one of our one paced midfielders. We can not carry too many of them. We have too many as it is.

In any case a player like Lyons is not our current midfield issue. We lack explosive pace, hardness and creativity at an elite level. This is why any decent midfield kills us.This is not him. Charlie Cameron as a mid is what we need right now. Or a similar player type.

How can you talk about the players he was fighting for a spot with and not the guy we brought in to replace him in Gibbs?
And Lyons could have replaced Douglas at worse on the half forward flank. He’s a better forward, better mark and has a knack for kicking goals. Plus he could have had rotations in the middle.

But You're underestimating how long he was a thoroughly mediocre player for. He was drafted in 2010 and mostly he was just nowhere near the side in his first two years.
He was the bloody sub for the first few years because of our stupidity, it wasn’t because he was mediocre.

Then when the sub was gone we gave him decent game time and he had a good year.

His failure to play more footy with us was on us not him.

It makes me laugh, this club over the last few years has made some very poor decisions and with our current selections continues to do so and yet we use his lack of game time with us as proof he was no good?

Good on him.

Talk about reinventing history. His last season with us was really good, and he was topping Gold Coasts player rankings until he fell out with Dew.
LOL, just admit you were wrong.

Lyons and Charlie could be looki ng at a premiership without us this year.

Charlie recently being compared to Cyril by Fagan too.

I can count on 1 hand the number of players that are viewed by the club as best 22 in their first 2 years.

Tom Doedee wasn't viewed as not worthy of our best 22 for his first 2 years, only for us to be forced to play him due to Lever leaving and then promptly came in and became one of the best intercept defenders in the competition.

Who does and doesn't get a game at our club should NOT be viewed as any sort of rating of talent.

Lyons treatment by us was astonishing. Years of investing and development, then in 2016 we get 20 games and almost 22 disp a game.

Then we offer him what amounted to a rookie contract?

GC weren’t much better. Almost 25 poss in both his years there.

Both let him go for chips.

Symptomatic of our reluctance to cater for anyone else but the chosen 15-18 players that have been clogging our list for 4-5 years.

So we can finally put this debate to rest. Those in the anti-Lyons group were firmly in the wrong about him. I want to specifically call out Vader who never once had anything nice to say about the bloke and now seems to be hiding from any Lyons related discussion.

“Thoroughly mediocre”. Absolute nonsense!

He was a very good developing player in those first 2 years hampered by the green vest. How much football he missed because he was stranded on the bench for three out four quarters. He was clearly the best extractor of the ball in the squad at the time as he frequently proved in the SANFL and his very limited opportunities when brought on late in the last quarter in his AFL games. Coincidentally with the demise of the green vest he enjoyed a vastly improved final season with us. There was nothing “mediocre” about Jarryd Lyons early career except the way the club handled him.

i Know Cameron and Lyons left for different reasons but watching both yesterday playing for a rejuvenated Lions makes me wish for what might have been.
However our inability to retain and recognise talent is a weak link in our organisation. Henderson is another example. Played some very good finals football for us but was just thrown to the seagulls like yesterday’s chips.

i Know Cameron and Lyons left for different reasons but watching both yesterday playing for a rejuvenated Lions makes me wish for what might have been.
However our inability to retain and recognise talent is a weak link in our organisation. Henderson is another example. Played some very good finals football for us but was just thrown to the seagulls like yesterday’s chips.

Henderson was a victim at the Crows of a side that was insistant on using him in an area that maximized his weaknesses and limited his ability to use his strengths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back