Autopsy The Meltdown thread (Autopsy vs Geelong)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was hoping to read some critical reviews on the game, but maybe I'll just go to bed.

Enjoy yourselves kiddies.

The missing of free kicks was putrid. Ablett and that flopping fish dangerfield do not have dropping the ball/incorrect disposal given against them ever. The afl dirty that bradley got the old heave ho and when up against his all knowing brothers team, well, the powers that be had to do something to appease the Scotts. We stunk, shat decisions coming out of the backline, duff handballs, shanks, hacks and and fumbles. Jye will probably get 2 for tackling that ******* dangerfield who flopped around after the tackle. Meh.

Yeah the AFL waited till Brad got sacked to give Geelong a free reign of great umpiring decisions when they play us.

Not surprised by the result. Certainly a horrendous one, but the best way to put it is we need a really good preseason to get our players to a level that can beat and compete with the best even when we are cooked.

Our style currently requires manic gut running that can only be sustained in patches. Pressure is great but the best of teams on a good day will absorb that. We need a variation that can get us over the line comfortably by 5 goals against good sides. Not just bottom 4 teams.

We aren't that far off, just one or two class speedy players away from top 4 contention.

It’s said repeatedly that if your side’s 5% off you’ll get rolled. We appeared to be 50% off and faced the top side on the rebound on their weird shaped patch where they are rarely beaten.

I’ve moved on already. What a crap night all round.

Anyone blaming the umpires should probably consider the following;

- we repeatedly kicked the ball across defensive goal, absolutely insane in wet weather
- we kicked it down their throats no less than 800 times (or so it felt at the ground at least)
- KP probably too narrow to hug the line like we do at Marvel (but we persisted with this anyway)
- we looked shot, down on confidence and down on enthusiasm from the outset

Both teams soaked up a tonne of pressure for the first 45 minutes.

Jack doesn’t get the block etc. and 10 minutes later they’ve got a mini-break that was worth 4-5 goals at Marvel heading into half time.

Spot on.

I'm completely calm / meh about this game and when I read the posts from the supporters who are trembling with rage about the "lowest score ever", I'm wondering if I'm doing it right.

But for two diabolical decisions at the end of the 2nd quarter, we would have gone into the break in front. Might have completely changed the game dynamic. As it happened, we couldn't have been worse in the second half, but so what? Always a hard ask to win on that crap heap, especially given the caning they copped all week. Was far more of a must-win for them than for us.

I also don't care about the next two games. We'll finish where we finish and reload in 2020.

Those blaming Shaw are morons. You change a game plan in the off-season, but can tweak during the season proper.

What killed us was momentum (due to umpiring howlers) but more importantly, our deplorable skills. The amount of times we hit them lace out, either from direct kicks or from rushed hacks forward was astonishing.

Can't blame the coach for stupid, panicked players

lowest score ever.

Now amongst a few low scores under his tenure. Worrying signs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone blaming the umpires should probably consider the following;

- we repeatedly kicked the ball across defensive goal, absolutely insane in wet weather
- we kicked it down their throats no less than 800 times (or so it felt at the ground at least)
- KP probably too narrow to hug the line like we do at Marvel (but we persisted with this anyway)
- we looked shot, down on confidence and down on enthusiasm from the outset

Possibly the most worrying.

Melbourne had a season of frenzied football last year... now look at them.

People hate the term "structure" but when the chips are down you need to have something you can rely on. Did we have that today?

Spot on.

I'm completely calm / meh about this game and when I read the posts from the supporters who are trembling with rage about the "lowest score ever", I'm wondering if I'm doing it right.

But for two diabolical decisions at the end of the 2nd quarter, we would have gone into the break in front. Might have completely changed the game dynamic. As it happened, we couldn't have been worse in the second half, but so what? Always a hard ask to win on that crap heap, especially given the caning they copped all week. Was far more of a must-win for them than for us.

I also don't care about the next two games. We'll finish where we finish and reload in 2020.

You're right. It's a small sample size thus far and from a PR standpoint if Rhyce was who we were always going in then locking him in before the losses that would inevitably come before the end of the season was a smart move. To have had this loss and not signed him.... well you'd have to be asking the question. I hope the Panel (President + Arch) got this right. Looking forward to see who we get in as assistants.

Possibly the most worrying.

Melbourne had a season of frenzied football last year... now look at them.

People hate the term "structure" but when the chips are down you need to have something you can rely on. Did we have that today?

We had an excellent structure right up to the Ziebell incident.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah the AFL waited till Brad got sacked to give Geelong a free reign of great umpiring decisions when they play us.
Nope, just saying it was always gonna be. Potato

No doubt, both poor decisions, but the Goldstein free was as soft as they come. There were plenty of calls that went against Geelong, and North clearly got more soft frees.

I was just surprised by the response on here.

To be fair though, if they hadn't paid the free to Goldstein, it would have been a markey to Larkey maybe five metres further out from goal. And I think Goldstein is probably more likely to spray a set shot than Larkey, particularly on a rainy evening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back