Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

100 point drubbings are the epitome of soul destroying.

Tonight was just a ******* s**thouse performance.
But the most sh**house score EVER!!!!!!!!! Can't go past that fact. Worst in 150 years FFS. Cannot be ignored. I think its time for bed for me. I'm having flashbacks of the 60s and winning one game for the season.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
But the most sh**house score EVER!!!!!!!!! Can't go past that fact. Worst in 150 years FFS. Cannot be ignored. I think its time for bed for me. I'm having flashbacks of the 60s and winning one game for the season.

We get it mate, you've been a supporter for a long time.

Screenshot_20190810-231405_Samsung Internet.jpg

Geelong scored 69 points tonight. That would not have been a winning score very often in any season I can think of from a team sitting at the top of the ladder, playing at home with the umpires up their arse.

Questioning Shaw after tonight just makes you look like an idiot.

Three things to consider imo:
  • This looked likely to happen ever since Rhyce took over
  • One goal for the game was a true reflection of the contest
  • Clearly there's no chance of bouncing back next week
Does anybody think there's a grain of truth at all there? I don't.

Problem is the ultimate field-day question likely to be asked of the higher-ups: If this scoreline occurred a few weeks ago, would Rhyce still have been appointed so quickly (or at all)? There isn't a way to answer that without raising a whole lot of eyebrows.

Geelong scored 69 points tonight. That would not have been a winning score very often in any season I can think of from a team sitting at the top of the ladder, playing at home with the umpires up their arse.

Questioning Shaw after tonight just makes you look like an idiot.

Lol... "that would have been a winning score very often" You know what score wouldn't win very often? 14! 14 points is abysmal. I know you're trying to frame it in a positive light but for who? People on this forum? For yourself? What's the point. Call it as it lay.

Three things to consider imo:
  • This looked likely to happen ever since Rhyce took over
  • One goal for the game was a true reflection of the contest
  • Clearly there's no chance of bouncing back next week
Does anybody think there's a grain of truth at all there? I don't.

Problem is the ultimate field-day question likely to be asked of the higher-ups: If this scoreline occurred a few weeks ago, would Rhyce still have been appointed so quickly (or at all)? There isn't a way to answer that without raising a whole lot of eyebrows.

Small sample size but from what I'm seeing the top one is a possibility to eventuate. It fits in with his coaching philosophy too.

I’d take our lowest score ever and getting beaten by 55 points than a 100 point belting any day.

Need to score to win.

492% in the cats game.
239% in the freo game.

Need to score to win.

I know Rhyce is a "defence first" coach and keeping Geelong to 69 points is great but our future is bleak if we're going down the Ross Lyon/Freo/Longmire/Sydney route.

Need to score to win.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I was pissed with tonight's game too but let's not start rewriting history, it was our lowest score in VFL/AFL history that started 94 years ago, looking through some VFA games between 1897 and 1924 we score 14 or less 8 times with our worst score in 1900 being 0.5.5 against Footscray, I am pretty sure prior to 1897 we would have scored under 14 a few more times too

Small sample size but from what I'm seeing the top one is a possibility to eventuate. It fits in with his coaching philosophy too.
Doesn't even fit in with his coaching results, 86-point average across his first 9 games.

But sure, anything's possible.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Typical knee-jerk reactionary bull twang that's reflective of all AFL commentary these days. Yep, last night was abysmal. It will sit in the record books for probably the rest of my lifetime as one of the most dire performances the club has ever put in. Go hard in the criticism of it and those involved in it because it is warranted. Any defence of that game, or attributing blame elsewhere, seems a little naïve when you've scored 1.8.

BUT any extrapolation to definitive comments about Rhyce Shaw's overall coaching ability (good or bad) and the long term future of the club (good or bad) are a stretch. Would the club appoint him on the back of that? Who knows or cares? They did appoint him after getting touched up in Perth. Last week it was a masterstroke. This week it's LOL Norf. Last week Geelong lost so "OMG! They're only on top by percentage!" this week they're talking about home finals again. Last week Hawthorn's finals chances were dashed and all that was left was a week long conversation on how to retire off their players. This week Clarko's a genius again and with the Suns next week, they're finals bound. Over at *, it was plain sailing two weeks ago with 5 straight wins under their belt. Now the front page screams for Woosha to be sacked.

Losing used to be just losing. Now it's some catastrophic calamity that rocks football clubs to the core. Losing one game badly is iron clad evidence that a club has gone off the rails and that every decision in recent history has been the result of gross incompetence. Well, only until next week.

Is Rhyce the guy to get us to our next golden era? I dunno. Was last night good for him? Of course not, it was a pathetic performance. Were the club wrong to appoint him? Who knows. He took over a team who were 2-7 in 2019, and who'd won only 23 of their last 66. Truth is, we aren't that good. But he has time to make us good. One game won't make a difference. Let's do what hardly anyone does these days - let's see how this plays out.

Back