Review Round 21, 2019 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

This is probably one for the unpopular opinions thread but I genuinely think Riccuito gives us more credit on commentary than most of the Vic conmentators. And definitely more than that s**thead Dwayne Russell.
I agree, he also is more educated and more understanding of Port Adelaide traditions ....quick to correct nuffs that do not know what they are talking about when discussing our club.

It's amazing Lycett may not get into the team for the rest of the year... He'd be playing every game right now for west coast.

The words "right now " well said . Had WCE agreed to his change of mind he'd have been 2nd string to NN . Too good of a ruckman to not challenge himself with holding down No 1 spot

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t want to get to excited and then let down again but that for me was one of the most satisfying wins in ages. This is most likely because for the first time in over a year we actually backed up a good win with another good win, not just a scrappy win or a horrible loss.

We coped with the wet weather so much better and it feels good to finally have a properly functioning forward line. Need to keep going now, can’t lose either of the next too, the top 8 spot is in our own hands now.
Player Reviews

SPP: Thought he was great again, so much upside please don’t trade him.
Ryder: Looks so much better in the forward line when we play him with two other talls. One of his better games for the season.
Broadbent: Starting to really find some form now. Obviously not as quick as he used to be but so composed and is a good experienced head.
Hartlett: Pretty solid as usual.
R Gray: Quiet today, acceptable after last week though.
Boak: Unusually quiet, got tagged by Hewett a bit I think, plus the facts that Wines, SPP, Rockliff and Houston were all in the side meant he didn’t get as much midfield time.
Rockliff: Didn’t do too much and throws the ball in the boot too much. Would consider dropping as we have too many midfielders of his type.
Marshall: Absolutely loved his game, his tackling, pressure, tried to present as well. One more pre-season and he’ll be a jet.
Amon: So composed, not the same player as last year.
Wines: Came in late and was excellent, broke apart the midfield on occasions and kicked some nice goals as well.
Clurey: Absolute tank, doesn’t let anything go past him.
Rozee: Gonna be a superstar, so quick and composed.
Duursma: A bit quieter today but still did his job.
Dixon: Struggled a bit but those goals will give him some confidence and hopefully will start clunking those marks soon. So important to our structures.
Bonner: Pretty bad game, but think we should keep him in as he’ll be dangerous at Marvel. (Would drop if Burtons available)
DBJ: In career-best form atm, back him in one on one every time.
Ladhams: So Good can’t believe he’s only a four game ruckman. So clean and some of his tap work was brilliant
Westhoff: Played his role alright floating around half back.
Jonas: Probably his best game for the season stopped nearly everything that went near him.
Houston: Gun. So clean and a deadeye dick.
S Gray: Very quiet, could be dropped but doubt Hinkley will.
Sutcliffe: Starting to prove me wrong. Didn’t get much of the ball, but other things were good. If he stays in the side he has to stay forward though.

Butters for Rockliff
Burton for Bonner if fit

Lycett probably comes in the week after if one of Ladhams or Ryder has a bad game. Howard unlucky.

Honestly, he was fine. He's a huge wrap for Rozee and genuinely thinks we can do damage in finals.
Well, I didn't really listen to him, I was at the game and turned on Live Pass at one stage to see his ugly mug

Sydney teams always try and for the first half, they played as well as they could but in the second half, our class really took over and made them look like a bottom 4-6 team but that's not our problem.

They deserved to be beaten by 8 kicks and that's what we did. The pleasing aspect was that we were at it from the first bounce and didn't let up.

R.Gray, T.Boak & T. Rockliff were well held by their direct opponents but they still contributed so the other 19 fellows could waste Sydney.

Well done everyone and now this is history. Next week is the focus. I think that young Bonner does not have the composure just yet to play AFL and Burton, when fit, is his replacement. We then won't have a weak link because up until Burton did his hami, he was becoming a good Port player - I had the same doubts about him as I have for Bonner but I reckon Burton is now up to it.

Bonnar was shite, and was shite vs Ess. S. Gray on thin ice, see who performs vs Eagles tomorrow. No time for passengers now.
Hope the WCE go in nice and dry on the Chardies.

I understand how Bonner got a negative game rating but not sure how Boak got one. he had 3 clangers, 1 was a free kick against him.

At half time Boak had 10 disposals and Robbie only had 8. Can't remember the last time we were 3 or 4 goals up at half time and the better side, probably should have been 5 up and these 2 players had such little impact on our position. Good signs.

View attachment 724072

View attachment 724073
When was Jonas last good game?

I wasn't convinced today. We were ordinary up until the last 2 or 3 minutes of the first half against a team that's lost about 5 in a row. We could easily have been down a couple of goals to that point.

The second half was a stroll, but their midfield is seriously ordinary. Once again, a decent fwd structure stretched their defence and gave us targets. Insanity we haven't settled on that before now.

Ladhams looks like something really special. Marshall is back to the clever, industrious level he'd reached before the recent slump. He also clunked one really solid contested grab. Need to see more of that. Jonas was poor early and the commentators overrated his game. Clurey was far better.

We should really make finals from here. Get Thursdays right, and we might just.

I wasn't convinced today. We were ordinary up until the last 2 or 3 minutes of the first half against a team that's lost about 5 in a row. We could easily have been down a couple of goals to that point.

The second half was a stroll, but their midfield is seriously ordinary. Once again, a decent fwd structure stretched their defence and gave us targets. Insanity we haven't settled on that before now.

Ladhams looks like something really special. Marshall is back to the clever, industrious level he'd reached before the recent slump. He also clunked one really solid contested grab. Need to see more of that. Jonas was poor early and the commentators overrated his game. Clurey was far better.

We should really make finals from here. Get Thursdays right, and we might just.
I've watched only Q1. The score flattened them. Their goals happened when they broke our pressure, which was pretty good.

Umps were given us all the frees, but SYD was sloppy trying to match our aggressiveness. It was a great surprise.

There could have been missed calls, but nothing that called my attention. Perhaps, 50-50 calls going all our way?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A group of Sydney supporters sat behind me at the match. In between talking about how they were going to smuggle alcohol into the Falls Festival and how one of them is missing the aggression outlet of playing footy because he’s injured, one of them said at half time “Port is playing much better than us. We’re lucky we’re not 5 goals down.”

Saying Sydney was close is like Paul Walker’s character telling Vin Diesel’s character in The Fast and the Furious: “Dude, I almost had you.” When he had just blown up his engine.

They were never close. The only reason why they looked in it was because they were working twice as hard for exactly the same effort - it was something like 104 sprint efforts to 54 at half time.

It's great to put away a poor team at home fairly comfortably backing up from another comfortable win. Really nice performance.

I felt we got a ride with the umpiring which frankly never happens, so i'll take it.

The forward line just works. Genuine marking options complimented by a resting ruckman and all of a sudden we're going long and direct and finding space all over the place. It's absolutely maddening that we haven't seen this structure more often.

We're 10-2 when Dixon and Marshall both play. The 2 losses came after the siren in the 2017 EF against West Coast in a game where we had 8 more scoring shots, and against Essendon last year where Marshall was knocked out before half time.

Clearance work was again monstrous, especially in the centre. Whatever combination of rucks we use, we'll be pretty dominant against most sides in that area of the ground. Sydney weren't really the best test but i'm still adamant we can play all 3 of Wines, Rockliff and SPP. If we're winning the ball and pumping it quick and long into that forward line, we're very hard to deal with.

We didn’t get a ride with umpiring - most of the extra free kicks were for holding the ball and ruck infringements.

It was the same type of umpiring we got in the Bulldogs game of 2016 - the team that is the aggressor and hunts the ball instead of waiting for the ball to come to them will always win the free kick count.

We didn’t get a ride with umpiring - most of the extra free kicks were for holding the ball and ruck infringements.

It was the same type of umpiring we got in the Bulldogs game of 2016 - the team that is the aggressor and hunts the ball instead of waiting for the ball to come to them will always win the free kick count.

Win, yes, but we did more than just win it. When was the last time we had +15 free kicks?

We got frees for holds we wouldn't usually get. Maybe i'm just too used to us getting stooged in this area.

Win, yes, but we did more than just win it. When was the last time we had +15 free kicks?

We got frees for holds we wouldn't usually get. Maybe i'm just too used to us getting stooged in this area.

It’s more that Sydney is slow and so was more likely to infringe to ensure our players didn’t get goal side.

Marshall - 4 frees for
Duursma - 2 frees for
Rozee - 2 frees for
Powell-Pepper - 2 frees for
Byrne-Jones - 2 frees for

All our most agile players.

Was an odd sense of surety about us this week, we just seemed to control the game for the entirety of the match although up until that burst just prior to half time that we broke away on the scoreboard.

Ladhams does things that leaves you shaking your head. Has a massive frame yet so mobile and skilled, what a transition he's made this year.

Backline as a whole was excellent. Clurey and Byrne-Jones continued very good seasons, but Jonas was terrific too. Has copped a lot of criticism this year but recent signs have been impressive that he's back to the player he can be.

Powell-Pepper appears to have turned a corner since his reinstatement. Finding ways to get his hands on the footy a lot more and his attack on the ball always adds something to the side. Was great to see Wines put in another quality performance, has been a patchy year and like Jonas seems to cop the brunt of criticism here because it's the easy thing to do, but he remains the heart and soul of the group.

Ryder showed he's still got a role to play at AFL level, certainly not cooked. I would anticipate that he won't be here next year but can be a contributor (& for our finals push). Doing a good job when he pushes forward which helps our structure greatly.

Absolutely loved that game from Dixon, that's what he can bring. Continuity will be so important for him.

Marshall and Rozee real sparks up forward. I know the commentators mentioned it a lot, but have to reiterate how good Marshall's tackling was.

To play so comprehensively well all over the ground with fairly minimal contributions from the guys who we've traditionally relied upon in Boak & Gray is great. But so frustrating that we're in this position where we're mid table at best.

I'd have SPP ahead of rockliff in the pecking order after the last few weeks.
And with his age and with rocky boak Ebert etc coming to the end of their careers, it's crazy his name keeps getting thrown up to trade out
SPP, his upside is huge..BUT, we will have salary cap issues, in the next 2 years, trying to retain players..He may be a player we can not afford. This time last year, I did not see this as an issue, but things are starting to come together. The future looks Rozee.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back