Coach Did they? (Kangas) | and will they (Blues)? ... select the caretaker coach without enough due diligence?

Remove this Banner Ad

Catloundra

Rookie
Aug 22, 2017
with toughCAT in CATalonia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
City and Barca
With Shaw in charge of North and in the full time coach’s chair, tonight he presided over Norths worst ever return of 14 points.

We like Shaw ....but, will tonight’s nights result (after his fast promotion and appointment from caretaker) and the reality of this early extraordinary negative return delay or effect the appointment of David Teague at Carlton and perhaps even Rattern at St Kilda.

Will the Carlton board hold off on pulling the trigger on Teague, even though there is a huge Teague popular ground swell.

What would you do, if you sat on the Carlton or StKilda coach selection boards - Would you be more apprehensive to select the caretaker now?...

Last edited:

North had a dead cat bounce when Shaw took over.
North didn't see the dead cat bounce for what it was and jumped the gun when signing Shaw as the new coach.
Carlton have had the same dead cat bounce under Teague.
They'll probably make the same mistake as North and jump the gun.
Supporters putting pressure on the club to sign Teague as coach and it's looking like it'll happen.

With Shaw in charge of North and in the full time coach’s chair tonight he presided over Norths worst ever return of 14 points only.

We like Shaw ....but, will tonight’s nights result and the appointment of him from caretaker and the reality of this early extraordinary negative return go on to effect the appointment of David Teague at Carlton and perhaps even Rattern at St Kilda.

Will the Carlton board hold off on pulling the trigger more than ever now on Teague, (even though there is a huge Teague popular ground swell for him there)

What would you do if you sat on the Carlton or StKilda coach selection boards - Would you be more apprehensive to select the caretaker now?...

There’s a reason Carlton have held off until after this week imo.

We’ve had some better games vs low and middle tier teams. But no doubt they wanted to see us vs West Coast and Richmond. If we lose vs Richmond badly (and it isn’t unheard of for a bottom 3 team to get a 100pt bath from a top 4 team) how we bounce back vs St Kilda matters more than anything. Same goes for how North bounce back next week

I haven’t seen enough of North but in Teague’s case, at the very least he has shown himself to be a shrewd game day coach who puts players in positions to succeed, and who can make match day moves to respond to the game and situation. He also has built good relationships with the players, and there’s good reports on him in every role he has had.

There’s not much more than can be done to be honest. What do interviews really show about other candidates? There’s heaps of silly stories like Essendon (I think?) not going for Hardwick because he forgot his USB so couldn’t do his presentation properly, etc.

None of Scott, Voss, or other available candidates offer much more based on exposed prior coaching jobs imo, and the prospect of a young (and cheap) coach who can grow into the role, be surrounded by lots of mature people in support roles, and who is popular with fans and players alike has to be appealing. We’ve tested the waters with a Clarko and if that’s not an option I’m not really sure how else you get a better option

I don’t think our result was as bad as it indicated.

We were all over them in the first half and in reality they led because of some dodgy umpiring.

Ran over us in the second half.

I wouldn’t be taking a result down at that shithole hotdog of a ground on a wet, windy night as gospel of Shaws coaching ability though.

There’s a reason Carlton have held off until after this week imo.

We’ve had some better games vs low and middle tier teams. But no doubt they wanted to see us vs West Coast and Richmond. If we lose vs Richmond badly (and it isn’t unheard of for a bottom 3 team to get a 100pt bath from a top 4 team) how we bounce back vs St Kilda matters more than anything. Same goes for how North bounce back next week

I haven’t seen enough of North but in Teague’s case, at the very least he has shown himself to be a shrewd game day coach who puts players in positions to succeed, and who can make match day moves to respond to the game and situation. He also has built good relationships with the players, and there’s good reports on him in every role he has had.

There’s not much more than can be done to be honest. What do interviews really show about other candidates? There’s heaps of silly stories like Essendon (I think?) not going for Hardwick because he forgot his USB so couldn’t do his presentation properly, etc.

None of Scott, Voss, or other available candidates offer much more based on exposed prior coaching jobs imo, and the prospect of a young (and cheap) coach who can grow into the role, be surrounded by lots of mature people in support roles, and who is popular with fans and players alike has to be appealing. We’ve tested the waters with a Clarko and if that’s not an option I’m not really sure how else you get a better option
Well said. I don’t think making the call on Teague is a bad thing at all. Yeah sure you could go the Voss, Lyon route but I mean new coaches bring a lot of new ideas and it’s not like Teague isn’t experienced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton should wait and see all results. If they signed Teague and it was followed by 2 100 point losses they’d look stupid.

If Teague is the man let his first real game be round 1

Generally sound advice, and in most contexts I’d agree

This year there’s a whole bunch of teams currently looking for a coach or potentially doing so soon. Depending on results St Kilda, Melbourne, Adelaide, Freo, maybe even Sydney could all move on. So we would want to be careful - if we like Teague waiting brings a bit of risk.

Secondly, we are chasing free agents and older players in trades. The unknown coaching situation is making that hard. Trying to convince Coniglio to come to the club is easier if Cripps can ring him and vouch for the coach and how awesome he is, etc.

But otherwise, wise enough.

I don’t think our result was as bad as it indicated.

We were all over them in the first half and in reality they led because of some dodgy umpiring.

Ran over us in the second half.

I wouldn’t be taking a result down at that s**thole hotdog of a ground on a wet, windy night as gospel of Shaws coaching ability though.

I agree with this.

If Geelong had a high score then I would be very concerned, but they didn't. It was just a s**t game in s**t conditions.

Essendon on the other hand require one of these caretaker coaches, they're in absolute shambles at the moment.

Generally sound advice, and in most contexts I’d agree

This year there’s a whole bunch of teams currently looking for a coach or potentially doing so soon. Depending on results St Kilda, Melbourne, Adelaide, Freo, maybe even Sydney could all move on. So we would want to be careful - if we like Teague waiting brings a bit of risk.

Secondly, we are chasing free agents and older players in trades. The unknown coaching situation is making that hard. Trying to convince Coniglio to come to the club is easier if Cripps can ring him and vouch for the coach and how awesome he is, etc.

But otherwise, wise enough.
Melbourne aren’t shifting Goodwin this year FFS....

Melbourne aren’t shifting Goodwin this year FFS....

I know it’s off topic, but outback of genuine curiosity, why not?

Goodwin seems ok and this year’s troubles aren’t totally on him, but he’s also no Clarkson, and a reboot/reset in the offseason might help. New message, fresh voice, etc.

I know the trend is to stick with guys now but he’s had 3 years... same as Bolton 12 months ago and while I though Bolton was great, we should have moved on him then...

I know it’s off topic, but outback of genuine curiosity, why not?

Goodwin seems ok and this year’s troubles aren’t totally on him, but he’s also no Clarkson, and a reboot/reset in the offseason might help. New message, fresh voice, etc.

I know the trend is to stick with guys now but he’s had 3 years... same as Bolton 12 months ago and while I though Bolton was great, we should have moved on him then...
Well firstly he is contracted for another 3 years. Yes you heard that right. We’ve given him a 4 year deal after 2018. Secondly I don’t feel we are a long way off. This year has proven that our inside game and lack of skilled players has cost us and wasn’t addressed over the pre season last year. We’ve had a horror run with injuries as well so it’s hard to get your best team together when they’re all injured. Hopefully a new strength and conditioning coach will help.

Thirdly, Clarkson is very unique ;)

Carlton should wait and see all results. If they signed Teague and it was followed by 2 100 point losses they’d look stupid.

If Teague is the man let his first real game be round 1
There is a flip side to this, if we don't have a coach come the end of the season it might cost us a Coniglio or Papley

Hard to understand why Roos chose to make this decision without canvassing all available. I get Rhyce had a good start. I watched last night and forgetting about the score completely - the Roos sticking to that short chip wide off the back flank all night - struck me as a coach short on ideas.

He may turn out a beauty but it is still strange they did not make time for anyone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back