Roughy Farewell Game

passionate81

Team Captain
Jan 9, 2003
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm sure he will get one. My read on it is they are playing it down out of respect to Roughy. Club probably hoping he does ok in the VFL, Gunston or Lewis wont get up, and Roughy will get selected on merit rather than being gifted a game.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think its a simple equation.

Whilst we are still a shot of making finald he doesnt play.

Once (if) we are no longer possible to make finals we give him a game.

We won't make finals and frankly don't deserve to.
With nothing else to really gain from this year (except the best possible draft pick) the club needs to play Rough this week.
I am confident it will.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You've been a naughty boy, you don't deserve finals.

yb1NS7Z.gif

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Knowing Rough he won't want to be picked unless it's on merit. Gunner being out might make thay possible though.

Feb 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
DCowboys, ManU, Celtics, Blackhawks
What if we give Rough this game as a farewell and then we make finals and cop injuries to a couple of key forwards in the process? Does he become ineligible to be selected? I’d love to see Rough out there again, I’m just not sold that;

a. the timing has worked out for him.
b. That he would want to close out his career/season with a ‘charity’ farewell selection.

He deserves it for sure, but Rough comes across as the ultimate team man. I hope Rough gets a game on his terms, not anyone else’s.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Lets get sam mitchell and cyril rioli in too. They missed out and Hodge got one, then engineered four losses to us against brisbane which would see us finish top2 in 2018 and top6 this year

Apr 29, 2007
Clyde North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
boxing, cricket
Justin Reeves was just on SEN and reading between the lines, it seems 99% sure that Roughy will get a farewell game.

It's sounds like the reason there hasn't been anything definitive is more because they don't want to promise anything for next week, before this round of matches are complete.
Exactly, Clarko isn’t going to come out and be all sentimental before we even played our games for this round.
That’s why he’s the best in the comp for his ruthless leadership.
All he had on his mind all week was beating GWS

There’s a whisper going around that Rough doesn’t want a farewell.

Doesn’t think his form warrants it and doesn’t want his last game to be remembered for the wrong reasons.

There’s a whisper going around that Rough doesn’t want a farewell.

Doesn’t think his form warrants it and doesn’t want his last game to be remembered for the wrong reasons.
That sounds more like the Roughy we know.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally I can’t see it happening.

Clarko is hellbent on making sure the culture remains exactly how he wants it. He wants the young guys to know that they must earn every game they get to play. Given that all our forwards played so well last week, I simply cannot see Clarko dropping any of them.

Add this to the fact that Roughy has barely had a touch in the VFL for weeks now, plus the fact that he was the ONLY player on our entire list to break the team rule on long sleeves last week. I think Clarko is too ruthless to allow Roughy to play given these circumstances.

He will forver be remembered as a champion, and can retire knowing that he earnt every single game he played. If he plays this week, unfortunately that will not be the case.

Back