Review Round 21, 2019 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Sutcliffe having 6 touches was a big surprise. Watching it, it felt like he had about 15. He was around the play so much and did a lot of good things without recording a disposal.

Sutcliffe having 6 touches was a big surprise. Watching it, it felt like he had about 15. He was around the play so much and did a lot of good things without recording a disposal.
He is reminding me of Josh Mahoney in that forward role he is playing the last two weeks.
The things that's surprising me a bit is the quality of his disposal too..

He is reminding me of Josh Mahoney in that forward role he is playing the last two weeks.
The things that's surprising me a bit is the quality of his disposal too..

Good call

SPP, his upside is huge..BUT, we will have salary cap issues, in the next 2 years, trying to retain players..He may be a player we can not afford. This time last year, I did not see this as an issue, but things are starting to come together. The future looks Rozee.........
In the next two years he can take over Rockliffs paycheck..

To play so comprehensively well all over the ground with fairly minimal contributions from the guys who we've traditionally relied upon in Boak & Gray is great. But so frustrating that we're in this position where we're mid table at best.
100+pts was a great effort in the conditions, then again we've had plenty of practice in wet weather footy this year.
Ladhams is a game changer and if we make finals will be a handful for any oppo. Thought Clurey was outstanding with Amon
and DBJ putting in big efforts. Spot on with Marshall who will get better and better (I hope). Happy for Big Dix and Ollie especially
when he nailed that goal to the northern end.

As for the crowd?....well I thought it was pretty good. A polar event and up against live TV on a Sat arvo was good stuff.
Sheesh it was cold at the game. Incidentally took my Brother-in-Law along and he said the NTUA was fantastic.
He was looking forward to it and being there live for it blew him away. Saw Peter Goers pre-game outside the Southern Gate
and had a quick chat he's pretty upbeat about us.

Sure Sydney aren't the team they once were but hey it was a good game to watch, we won, kicked 100+ and are now in the 8.
Soooo..... lots to like. Glad I went.

Big crowd if we're still alive v the bullies.

I liked Westhoff's game too. It's weird seeing him line up at full back but he has been effective there in the last couple of games. Creates an option, reads the play well and makes it harder for opponents to find space. His disposal isn't always the best option but it seems we genuinely have now a solid tall defence unit.

I suspect his numbers weren't great but like Sutcliffe's game they probably don't tell the story.

So glad I sent Ken ‘Forward structure for Dummies’....great read.

Good win, but still too top heavy in the middle.

We need to inject some more speed in the middle, but do we even have that luxury?

Would throw the kitchen sink at an established mid with speed & skills in the trade period.

I still like Farrell over SGray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too true. Just wondering where all of the regular doom and doom posters have gone. You know, the ones who can’t wait to post when we lose.

So, let’s get this straight.

The “doom and gloom posters” who have been absolutely critical with Ken for insisting on picking a midget forward line devoid of tall forwards — which has undeniably cost us at least three wins this year alone (Richmond in Round 4, Bulldogs in Round 15, GWS in Round 19) — finally get their wish with the selections of Dixon and Marshall, and the team is infinitely more potent and effective.

The past 2 weeks have emphasised how much of a stubborn, incompetent bozo Hinkley is and vindicated his critics.

But I don’t know, there’s still time to go back to 66 games of Jake Neade and Sam Gray one-out against 2 & 3 intercept markers, I guess.

So, let’s get this straight.

The “doom and gloom posters” who have been absolutely critical with Ken for insisting on picking a midget forward line devoid of tall forwards — which has undeniably cost us at least three wins this year alone (Richmond in Round 4, Bulldogs in Round 15, GWS in Round 19) — finally get their wish with the selections of Dixon and Marshall, and the team is infinitely more potent and effective.

The past 2 weeks have emphasised how much of a stubborn, incompetent bozo Hinkley is and vindicated his critics.

But I don’t know, there’s still time to go back to 66 games of Jake Neade and Sam Gray one-out against 2 & 3 intercept markers, I guess.

I know right?

All the 'where are all the posters who wanted to sack Ken now?" types are all coming out of the woodwork after the last two weeks, when all those last two weeks have done is confirm how right the posters who wanted to sack Ken have been for the last 4 and a half years.

Last edited:
We've lost to a flagging GWS, beaten a prostrate and comatose Essendon and the Swans that have lost 5(6?) on the trot, all of this comes after a nightmarish performance against Brisbane.

We've learned absolutely nothing other than we look more exciting with more talls. Our form over the last two weeks is a complete lie.

Cautious optimism atm.

Now that the team is set to win instead of trip over its own d¡ck the onus is now squarely on the players to win their matchups and get it done.

I thought it was a mature performance against a young/inexperienced Sydney team that is clearly struggling a bit. We seemed to control the game more or less from start to finish, particularly at the stoppages. There were times in the first half where they had some good play but couldn't put it on the scoreboard. Perhaps we were a bit lucky there. Second half we destroyed them really, not much more to say than that.

The big forwards worked so well together. Dixon grew in confidence as the game progressed, hopefully that's a sign of things to come. Loved Marshall's efforts in the air and on the ground. Thought Ryder had a good game.

Rozee breathtaking.

Clurey, Broadbent, Byrne-Jones all outstanding in defence. Jonas very good too after quarter time.

Ladhams excellent in the ruck again. Poor opposition two weeks in a row but he's been such a commanding presence. Next week will be his big test.

Boak had probably his first quiet game of the season, but nobody will hang him on that.

The movement of the ball and the endeavour throughout the game was a thing of beauty. We look so good when we get our structures right. We really have been begging for this all year because we have a very talented list.

I know it will be a very unpopular opinion but I think Bonner has so much more talent than he is showing and if we persist (like we did with Amon because i am sure i was not alone in never wanting to see him in a Port jumper again and i was WRONG) we will get the same rewards. I believe Bonner has too much class and ability to read the play to lose him. I also think he is a confidence player who has lost his confidence and his dash and run. I remember him dancing around players and going for a run but it seems a very long time ago. His next coach will get the best out of him I am sure. Now i will put on my tough pants ready to deflect the bitter and vitriolic Bonner insults that will be incoming.

If we can make finals I’ll be happy, if we were in the very unlikely event to make a GF I’d be estactic, if we were to win the GF I’d blow so hard, it would snowing around the globe.

Me and everyone else were entitled to be critical of Ken and the game plan until this point. We still don’t know which Port will turn up against North either.

The big forwards worked so well together. Dixon grew in confidence as the game progressed, hopefully that's a sign of things to come. Loved Marshall's efforts in the air and on the ground. Thought Ryder had a good game.

The possibilities are endless.

Hopefully now there’s adequate tall timber to provide leading outlet marks across HBF/wing we’ll see less of Jonas and Clurey attempting to thread the needle with risky and ultimately fatal sideways/diagonal passes back of centre.

The movement of the ball and the endeavour throughout the game was a thing of beauty. We look so good when we get our structures right. We really have been begging for this all year because we have a very talented list.

I know it will be a very unpopular opinion but I think Bonner has so much more talent than he is showing and if we persist (like we did with Amon because i am sure i was not alone in never wanting to see him in a Port jumper again and i was WRONG) we will get the same rewards. I believe Bonner has too much class and ability to read the play to lose him. I also think he is a confidence player who has lost his confidence and his dash and run. I remember him dancing around players and going for a run but it seems a very long time ago. His next coach will get the best out of him I am sure. Now i will put on my tough pants ready to deflect the bitter and vitriolic Bonner insults that will be incoming.
Bonner was grinding my gears yesterday, having said that get him out of defence if we're going to persist.

Bonner was grinding my gears yesterday, having said that get him out of defence if we're going to persist.
I'd like to try him on a wing. But when he is on song he is beautiful as a back flanker that can intercept and run it out of defensive 50. His kicks are so efficient always not like the rest of the team and they only look efficient against slower bottom sides.

I don't know why but i guess after i saw Amon completely turn around and i didn't think he had as much talent as Bonner there is still surely hope for someone with such silky skills.

I've been wondering if he may be suited to becoming an outside mid linking into the forward line. As you say, he has the talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back