Pre Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Backs:Thompson Ballard Collins Hombsch Lukosius with Weller Ah Chee Harbs and yes maybe Dawson
Mids : A someone good mid from somewhere, Swallow ,Fiorini ,Miller,MacPherson,Bowes,Brodie,Lemmens,Ainsworth,Powell
Forwards :Sexton, King,Rankine??, Wright,Day,Martin,Holman and a couple others
Rucks:Witts and Nicholls

The thing we've never been able to do is get our best team on the park
Ballard will be better than May
King better than Lynch
Lukosius may end up in a Fyfe Pendlebury type role-a type we've struggled to produce
Tall skilful on-baller who can go forward and goal- old fashioned ruck-rover
No-one replaces Ablett but if Rankine can be our Eddy Betts/Bennell replacement I'd take that in spades

Backs:Thompson Ballard Collins Hombsch Lukosius with Weller Ah Chee Harbs and yes maybe Dawson
Mids : A someone good mid from somewhere, Swallow ,Fiorini ,Miller,MacPherson,Bowes,Brodie,Lemmens,Ainsworth,Powell
Forwards :Sexton, King,Rankine??, Wright,Day,Martin,Holman and a couple others
Rucks:Witts and Nicholls

The thing we've never been able to do is get our best team on the park
Ballard will be better than May
King better than Lynch
Lukosius may end up in a Fyfe Pendlebury type role-a type we've struggled to produce
Tall skilful on-baller who can go forward and goal- old fashioned ruck-rover
No-one replaces Ablett but if Rankine can be our Eddy Betts/Bennell replacement I'd take that in spades
I just hope Rankine body is ok. He trained this week. Just glimpses in JLT but he is unbelievable talent. I remember when he bamboozled 3 Lions players standing around him.

I liked what Fletcher and Riordan showed in their limited exposure in NEAFL. With a preseason, I would expect them to get opportunity next year. Both got some break away speed.

It will be interesting if we get pick 2 as PP. Rowell together with Anderson would be massive for our future. Both would probably play a lot of games next year.

I expect a lot of internal growth from our young midfield especially Fiorini who managed to play out the season for the first time.

So, what is your predicted best 22 for round 1 and depth (10 players)? I doubt we get some quality players in this off season.

not looking forward to the possibility of Luko and King "delaying" extension talks until later in 2020 especially if those two guns get drafted by us as a result of AFL concessions

The ideal would be to get those two picks at 1 and 2 with AFL help and we resign Luko and King or at least one, then trade out, delist and retire the dead wood for hard bodied mature talent only

Just for fun - my round 1 team

B Harbrow Thompson Lukosius
HB Ballard, Collins, Ah Chee
C Powell, Swallow, Weller
HF Rankine, Day, Martin
F Sexton, King, Ainsworth
Fol Witts, Fiorini, Brodie
I/C Bowes, Macpherson, Rowell, Miller

Depth - young
defence Hombsh, Joyce, Burgess, Wigg - Graham, Dawson, McLennan, Budarick
midfield Holman, Miles, Hanley, Murdoch - Anderson, Riordan, Fletcher
forward Lemmens, Wright, Young, Corbett - Heron, Ace
ruck Nicholls

If Ah Chee and Martin are gone - Hanley and Holman in
2-4 more picks/trade/rookies

Delisted, retired - less than last year according to Cameron
Leslie, Rischitelli, Nutting, Scheer, Ellis, GHS

not looking forward to the possibility of Luko and King "delaying" extension talks until later in 2020 especially if those two guns get drafted by us as a result of AFL concessions

The ideal would be to get those two picks at 1 and 2 with AFL help and we resign Luko and King or at least one, then trade out, delist and retire the dead wood for hard bodied mature talent only

Be interesting to know the lease terms on King and Luko's bachelor pad.

surely Ellis and GHS were signed on longer than 1 year deals

I don't think anyone was coming up to the Coast last year unless you were getting an 'overs' deal.

How ******* stupid were the coaching staff and players to put GHS into the leadership team when it was apparent he was cooked and the whole AFL knew it except for our club who needed 4-5 games to see it for themselves. Absolutely woeful list management and player assessment.

unfortunately him, Ellis and Murdoch have given us nothing

If GHS is on a 2 year deal the club and him need to have an adult conversation that results in him getting all the money he is promised but that he doesn't have a list spot for next year and if he isn't drafted by anyone he stay on and play in our NEAFL side next year as some type of development guy.

Clearly the club love who he is a person and his footy brain so would love him around the club but should not be taking up a list spot given what he delivered at AFL level.

HF Rankine, Day, Martin

Depth - young
ruck Nicholls

I reckon if we get the PP and nab Anderson then Powell, DMac and Martin (if he’s still around) should be very worried about their spots in our best 22.

Best 25 for next year (assume Martin gone and we get PP)

B Harbrow Thompson Ballard
HB Lukosius, Collins, Ah Chee
C Bowes, Swallow, Weller
HF Ainsworth, Day, Anderson
F Sexton, King, Rankine
Fol Witts, Fiorini, Rowell
I/C Wright, Macpherson, Brodie, Miller
Emg: Powell, Holman, Miles

Trade out:

Martin

Delist:

Crossley (assuming banned)
Heron (R)
GHS
Leslie (R)
Nutting
Rischatelli (R)
Wigg (R)
Fletcher (R)

Delist & re-rookie:

Ellis (assuming he only has another year on his contract)
Nicholls
Schoenfeld

National Draft:

Rowell
Anderson
Lions 1st pick
Jack Martin pick
Budarick
Holman (rookie upgrade)

Rookie:

Ace
Gore
+ another rookie

Players who should develop and improve:

Ah Chee
Ainsworth
Ballard
Bowes
Brodie
Corbett
Dawson
Fiorini
Graham
King
Lukosius
MacPherson
McLennan
Rankine
Riordan
Weller
Wright

Maintain current form:

Burgess
Collins
Day
Holman
Joyce
Lemmens
Miller
Nicholls
Scheer
Sexton
Swallow
Thompson
Witts
Young

Deteriorate - players who are on a downward trajectory:

Ellis (1 year)
Hanley (1 year)
Harbrow (1 year)
Hombsch (2-3 years as a senior back up)
Miles (2-3 years as a senior back up)
Murdoch (2 years until contract runs out)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where to put this, but there was a line in a paper (assuming it was the CM) in a post match review of our game, where it said that the Lions had inquired about Jack Martin from the Gold Coast.

The brief discussions on our board mentioned sending your pick 19 back to you for Martin.

Not sure where to put this, but there was a line in a paper (assuming it was the CM) in a post match review of our game, where it said that the Lions had inquired about Jack Martin from the Gold Coast.

The brief discussions on our board mentioned sending your pick 19 back to you for Martin.
Would rather lose him for nothing honestly. Pick 19 does nothing for us, and I would just hate to see him running around for your lot.

Won't happen. If he does leave he'll be out of QLD.

HF Rankine, Day, Martin

Depth - young
ruck Nicholls

Delist sheer and keep heron? Surely not serious

Delist sheer and keep heron? Surely not serious
Yes, that's my prediction of club's decisions. Let's see if Scheer gets another opportunity with Miles probably out. He is a lovely kid, but has been in the system 3 years and I don't see a real progress except he lost weight. Yes, he learned the plan, did a decent tagging job but is way too slow (just ahead GHS). We already got similar type midfielders. Personally, I would already pick Riordan ahead of him. I also don't see urgency, intensity from him in contest. He is a good NEAFL player.

Yes, Heron did not set world on fire and for sure he could be delisted but my guess is he gets another year to prove himself. He had a decent game against Carlton and Suns still play him. It works for him he is also a great kid, got speed, can pressure.

Is it time to get worried about Ah Chee not being at the suns next year? Thought he would have resigned by now given he’s out for season.

I think we will really struggle to find that quality veteran that the club would like to get, fingers crossed though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it time to get worried about Ah Chee not being at the suns next year? Thought he would have resigned by now given he’s out for season.

I think we will really struggle to find that quality veteran that the club would like to get, fingers crossed though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I would say yes, we should be worried. Any good player who did not re-sign by now is probably open to move on. But then if they are not keen to stay good luck to them. No point trying to convince them. There will be always 1-2 players the team lose and there will be more losses along the ride to respectability, finals.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back