Review Round 21 - Lions v Suns. Gabba Saturday 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

James comments aside as I agree were trash the media has been very kind to where the suns are. Really this is year 1 of the club.

The suns will more then likely receive a pp pick 2 when just two years ago they traded one away.so you must understand the footy public questioning what's going on.. they don't know about Evans and co doing wonders 🤷‍♂️
Did GCS get priority pick in 2017. Isn't it GCS own pick like St kilda had for mccartin and max king. I think you mistaken Brisbane with GCS.

Huh ? The media are a joke but what reporting are you talking about? The afl is trying too fix up the mess they made and the media is very kind towards a rebuilding team that has lost 17 games in a row..(rightly so)

do you think the media would of been kind if Carlton were almost over the salary cap?

What have the AFL done to date to fix this mess? All they have given us is access to some older state league players.

We will see in the off season if they are serious about fixing the problem.

Huh ? The media are a joke but what reporting are you talking about? The afl is trying too fix up the mess they made and the media is very kind towards a rebuilding team that has lost 17 games in a row..(rightly so)

do you think the media would of been kind if Carlton were almost over the salary cap?
F**king he’ll, don’t know what sections of the media you listen or watch, but there are many vocal Vic based pundits who continually talk about Gold Coast management and resources as if they’re the main problems without knowing that almost the entire off field structure has been replaced in the last 24 months and have all new facilities.

Go read the last few pages of the Suns media thread.

GC should be playing 3 talls, as there are few teams that have 3 genuine tall defenders atm.
Completely agree with this
Day King and 2MP in the forward line yesterday means at least the potential for more marks I50
I understand the team optics re Martin and Wright in the NEAFL but the reality is we are not a team that can afford to do that
They need to find form at AFL level, playing them in the NEAFL does nothing but breed resentment in players IMO

Completely agree with this
Day King and 2MP in the forward line yesterday means at least the potential for more marks I50
I understand the team optics re Martin and Wright in the NEAFL but the reality is we are not a team that can afford to do that
They need to find form at AFL level, playing them in the NEAFL does nothing but breed resentment in players IMO

Double edged sword - gifting games to senior players v rewarding form and effort

It comes down to whether the out of form player is at least trying with maximum effort and adhering to instructions.

Can't say Martin was holding up his end of the bargain. 2MP is a different story.

Double edged sword - gifting games to senior players v rewarding form and effort

It comes down to whether the out of form player is at least trying with maximum effort and adhering to instructions.

Can't say Martin was holding up his end of the bargain. 2MP is a different story.
You can't argue we were fielding our strongest team with those two in the NEAFL, and while it sends "a message" it also pisses a great deal of membership goodwill up against the wall at the same time

You can't argue we were fielding our strongest team with those two in the NEAFL, and while it sends "a message" it also pisses a great deal of membership goodwill up against the wall at the same time

I won't argue we are playing our strongest team - comparing Martin's talent to Heron is probably as big a talent gap as you will find in the AFL.

TBH with 2 games to go, getting a win or having our best possible team on paper doesn't have the same allure as it did at the start of the season.

If messages need to be sent, players need to be rested, we need to find out whether Heron/Dawson/Schoenfeld/Scheer can cut it before the end of the season, let's just do it and be done with it.

If anyone needs me I'll be spending the rest of the year lurking in the 2020 Pre-Season thread

...If anyone needs me I'll be spending the rest of the year lurking in the 2020 Pre-Season thread

AKA “The 2020 Wooden Spoon thread”. Sorry peeps, I’m normally a glass half full person, but we’re going to have to miraculously recruit some senior players that are actually good, find some A-graders amongst our new and recent draftees, and/or have our medical / conditioning team develop some Jesus-like healing powers to get off the bottom next year.

AKA “The 2020 Wooden Spoon thread”. Sorry peeps, I’m normally a glass half full person, but we’re going to have to miraculously recruit some senior players that are actually good, find some A-graders amongst our new and recent draftees, and/or have our medical / conditioning team develop some Jesus-like healing powers to get off the bottom next year.

Oh we will be bottom again, we are that far behind the next worst team it's not funny.

We won't get any a-grade players this year and best we can hope for is someone who use to be a-grade.

The only way forward is to get the right elite kids in the door and pray they stick around for a 2nd contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh we will be bottom again, we are that far behind the next worst team it's not funny.

We won't get any a-grade players this year and best we can hope for is someone who use to be a-grade.

The only way forward is to get the right elite kids in the door and pray they stick around for a 2nd contract.
Well that as depressing as *

If we don’t show some serious progress in Dews 3rd year surely he is in trouble

I think (hope?) we have moved on from praying (our historical practice) to doing everything we reasonably can. Pumping resources into development and off-field support, having great facilities and getting good people in the door to do the work.

But our path to a side capable of making finals is to get elite kids in the door and turn them into A grade players who want to take this club places.

If someone wants out inside 4 years then based on what we have been doing off-field recently, we were never going to keep them.

Injuries aside, bowes, ainsworth, fiorini, weller, martin, ainsworth and sexton all need to take their game up a level next year, but they need some continuity about them too. And from what I seen at the start of the year before injuries took their toll was that this fitness team are on the right path, can't wait to see some more muscle on king, powel, ballard, lukocius and improve the fitness of most of the list. I think the club got it right that they needed to do alot more running last year and I think that will continue. This was a masterclass, and watching the replay knowing the score sucks but you can still see some positives. It was that 3rd quarter really that hurt us but we had alot of players have a down game against a quality team

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app

Injuries aside, bowes, ainsworth, fiorini, weller, martin, ainsworth and sexton all need to take their game up a level next year, but they need some continuity about them too. And from what I seen at the start of the year before injuries took their toll was that this fitness team are on the right path, can't wait to see some more muscle on king, powel, ballard, lukocius and improve the fitness of most of the list. I think the club got it right that they needed to do alot more running last year and I think that will continue. This was a masterclass, and watching the replay knowing the score sucks but you can still see some positives. It was that 3rd quarter really that hurt us but we had alot of players have a down game against a quality team

On SM-G960W using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes, a lot of players did not bring the game as Swallow mentioned in his interview, some players out of form but I think the biggest impact had 16 losses in a row on confidence. I read somewhere Gawn talking about how constant losses this year impacted him so much that he started questioning if it's worth to continue play. Just look at faces of some of our guys, namely Harbrow. I wish we won 1-2 games against Melbourne, St. Kilda, Essendon. It would make a huge difference for players confidence.

This is from Mongrel Punt. Some impressive work by Miller.

MILLER vs NEALE
One of the Suns most consistent performers throughout the year had the big job on Brownlow favourite Lachie Neale and performed with aplomb keeping the Lions star quiet on a night when few Brisbane players were held. In addition to keeping Neale to just 21 touches (versus his season average of 31) four clearances (down on 7.7) and only 155m gained (down from an avg. of 316m) Miller was able to contribute offensively with 22 disposals of his own (13 contested) at the commendable 74%, adding five tackles, four inside 50s and three clearance in a very encouraging performance. Furthermore, Miller was shifted onto Lions powerhouse Dayne Zorko in the third term after he’d run riot in the first half and kept him to just two touches fore the quarter.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/08/11/qclash

Yes, a lot of players did not bring the game as Swallow mentioned in his interview, some players out of form but I think the biggest impact had 16 losses in a row on confidence. I read somewhere Gawn talking about how constant losses this year impacted him so much that he started questioning if it's worth to continue play. Just look at faces of some of our guys, namely Harbrow. I wish we won 1-2 games against Melbourne, St. Kilda, Essendon. It would make a huge difference for players confidence.
That win late last year against Sydney helped to drive the enthusiasm and belief through the last preseason. Unfortunately we won’t have that this year unless we miraculously defeat the Hawks in Roughy’s farewell (ain’t gonna happen) or GWS in rd23 (definitely ain’t gonna happen).

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 33 Bounces

Miller 28 (2w)
Bowes 28 (15w, 13i)
Fiorini 22 (14w, 8i)
Swallow 20
Weller 17 wing
Lemmens 12
Hanley 12
MacPherson 8 (7w, 1i)
Rischitelli 6 (4i, 2w)
Ainsworth 6 (5w, 1i)
Sexton 4 wing
Miles (inj) 2

Rucks:
Witts 30
Burgess 3

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Lemmens 3
Witts 3
Swallow 2
Bowes 2
Fiorini 2
Miller 1
Dawson 1

1st Half - 15

Miller 13 (1w)
Bowes 12 (7w, 5i)
Fiorini 9 (3w)
Swallow 8
Weller 8 wing
Lemmens 7
Rischitelli 6 (4i, 2w)
MacPherson 4 (3w, 1i)
Sexton 4 wing
Miles 2
Ainsworth 2 wing

Witts 13
Burgess 2

2nd Half - 18

Bowes 16 (8i, 8w)
Miller 15 (1w)
Fiorini 13 (11w, 2i)
Swallow 12
Hanley 12
Weller 9 wing
Lemmens 5
MacPherson 4 wing
Ainsworth 4 (3w, 1i)

Witts 17
Burgess 1

Notes:
- Most ever starts in analysed games for Bowes. This was also the first time he has tied (or been outright) the most used mid. He had 2 distinct periods - wing for Q1 & 4, inside mid for the middle terms.
- Most starts for Hanley in analysed game since Rd 20, 2017
- Most starts for Rischitelli in analysed game since Rd 18, 2017
- Most starts for Weller in analysed games this season. His previous high was 11 starts against Adelaide in Rd 17
- Most ever wing starts in analysed games for MacPherson
- First time since Rd 4 in analysed games that Miller has tied (or been outright) the most used mid
- Only the 2nd game (of 11 analysed) this season where Fiorini has had more wing starts than inside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back