Autopsy Round 21 - Post Match against St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that's the year officially done. We burned too many shots in the third quarter and it came back to bite us.

Fyfe should get three votes and Logue did what he could to keep us in it as long as possible but they killed us off turnovers through the middle.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
That Carter kick inboard, the Duman keeping it alive, Banfield trying to dance around instead of just snapping on goal, Switta not being able to kick more than 40m.

All moments that could have changed it.
We work so hard only to stuff it up due to idiotic turnovers

Arkhitect

Bleeding Purple
Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Switta needs to spend the summer practicing his set shot goals. He's a complete liability up there when he has the ball in his hands. Every time you could see him run off of his line to the right and pull the shot right.

Look at what happened to Chris Mayne, you can be the greatest pressure forward in the world but if you can't convert when it's your time to kick then you shouldn't be in the team.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
That Carter kick inboard, the Duman keeping it alive, Banfield trying to dance around instead of just snapping on goal, Switta not being able to kick more than 40m.

All moments that could have changed it.

There were a lot of moments where that game becomes a win for us, but it shouldn't even have been close, should have been an easy win for us, and I put the most blame on the back half.

I like Duman, I back him. But he had a bad day, perhaps with the exception of Hamling and other odd desperate moments (e.g. Logue), they were poor as a unit. If they didn't directly give Saints 2/3 of their goals I'd be surprised. It was the number one reason we lost.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were a lot of moments where that game becomes a win for us, but it shouldn't even have been close, should have been an easy win for us, and I put the most blame on the back half.

I like Duman, I back him. But he had a bad day, perhaps with the exception of Hamling and other odd desperate moments (e.g. Logue), they were poor as a unit. If they didn't directly give Saints 2/3 of their goals I'd be surprised. It was the number one reason we lost.

Duman (22), Carter (2), Logue (21), Hamling (83), Blakely (58), Cerra (39)

Our two most inexperienced players made mistakes that cost us scores against. I agree, our defense was poor.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Skill errors the killer. A number of players at fault

Will not change until coach starts to value skills as much as pure effort.
You can’t coach boneheaded decisions. Ross was absolutely filthy at the decision making. So yes he values it.
Not a lot of smarts is the problem. You can only have so many players. Banfield didn’t want to kick a goal. Duman has no idea how to play at times.
The depth is bare

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Brad Hill kicking it out on the full under no pressure was also ridiculous. 9 points up, less than 3 mins, softer than butter

What is so frustrating about that is, one thing you can usually back with Lyon as coach is his players are drilled to play the percentages. I mean, go the line, but you don't try to put it literally on the line. There were other moments too. With 3 minutes to go, Saints were only going to win it if we let them.

Thought we had it TBH, should have known better, we let them in all game.

poshman

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 13, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
We could have iced the game in the third. Fyfe needed to kick one of his two shots. Duman needed to hand off to Walters. Banfield needs to be dropped. Take the shot you muppet.

Brad hill turned the momentum against us. Had short options. Ignored them. Then OOBOTF. Very poor.

Apr 25, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
2 things killed that game for us, not individual stuff ups (they happen continually all through a game even by the best teams).

1. No mobile tall. Transition out of defence is so hard without one, miss the general field work they give - let alone what they can do in the forward arc.
2. Experience. It's not Fyfe/Mundy/Sandi/Walters etc that killed it with poor decisions, it was the young players.

As much as it killed this game for us, it's killed the last few games for us - and would have seen a very short finals campaign if we got there. Greener grass folks, next year we get our talls back and another preseason into the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back