Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Because they kept playing him despite it being painfully obvious he was playing injured, and when he did miss games he only missed one or two before being back in the side. St Kilda had Hannebery out for almost 10 months before they played him the first time, not 2 weeks like Longmire tried.
So when he had 5 weeks off last year after round 16 that was really only 2? Rewriting history to suit your own argument seems somewhat a tough task.

Anyway Longmire doesn’t make the calls on injured players that would be the medical team having some input.

No doubt you will argue that the medical team would tick off things with no duty of care etc.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So when he had 5 weeks off last year after round 16 that was really only 2? Rewriting history to suit your own argument seems somewhat a tough task.

Anyway Longmire doesn’t make the calls on injured players that would be the medical team having some input.

No doubt you will argue that the medical team would tick off things with no duty of care etc.

5 weeks is barely a month, St Kilda gave him 10 months off. Clearly he needed it.

Wrong. The gameplan has changed...quite obviously so...but this young side will take time in learning it and the game in general.

Wrong. The excuses will change, but the results will be the same.

Club shat itself.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Wrong. The excuses will change, but the results will be the same.

Club shat itself.
The amount of posters on here who seem to revel in heaping crap on the club amazes me. Must give you some sort of warm feeling of superiority like you could do so much better.

If we're still bottom four 3 seasons from now then I'll apologise but this is very much a work in progress.

The amount of posters on here who seem to revel in heaping crap on the club amazes me. Must give you some sort of warm feeling of superiority like you could do so much better.

If we're still bottom four 3 seasons from now then I'll apologise but this is very much a work in progress.

Wrong. Again.

I praise the club when it's due, and I will 'heap s**t' on the club when it's due.

Do I think I could do better?

Yes I think I could coach us to 40 points in a final.

Club shat itself,and offered a contract when it wasn't necessary, and has now hamstrung itself for the next 4 years.

But yes, you can apologize in 3 seasons from now.

I'll wait.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wrong. Again.

I praise the club when it's due, and I will 'heap s**t' on the club when it's due.

Club shat itself,and offered a contract when it wasn't necessary, and has now hamstrung itself for the next 4 years.

I'll wait.
Proved my point. Cheers.

See you in 2022.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
The point of this post is what? That we are better than North? Woohoo what an achievement.

The point was just to take a cheap shot at North.

Originally I was going to say something more along the lines of "I'm glad that the club doesn't take a knee-jerk approach to important decisions, understands why the team is in the position it currently is and legitimately has faith that a coach who has led us through an incredibly succesful era of the club has what it takes, with a bit of a squad regeneration, to bring that success again".

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
What point?
You reckon you could coach the team to 40 points in a final. If you could just run us through what credentials you have that qualify you to think you could coach at the elite level well enough to even get a team anywhere near a finals finish.

We're all just keyboard warriors and Monday experts on here and I enjoy the banter and discussion but people massively overvalue their own expertise on here. Unless any of us have coached at an elite level we have no idea what it takes. That doesn't stop many from thinking they could do a better job of flying the plane than the pilot.

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Wrong. Again.

I'll wait.
Previously some weeks ago there was a poster who reflected on Longmires record for the year and did correctly note that after I think it was round 17 this year that Longmire hadn’t won any finals in 2019.

So when posters as you put it pour s$&t on the club with that sort of criticism then you have to appreciate why others posters might wonder if the poster hasn’t tipped it on themselves.

Anyway no doubt you would have coached the team to a score of more than 40 in a final. Hopefully you could get the team to the finals in the first place.

Previously some weeks ago there was a poster who reflected on Longmires record for the year and did correctly note that after I think it was round 17 this year that Longmire hadn’t won any finals in 2019.

So when posters as you put it pour s$&t on the club with that sort of criticism then you have to appreciate why others posters might wonder if the poster hasn’t tipped it on themselves.

Context is important.

A horse supporter asked for the number of finals won.

I provided it, the fact that Horse supporters only live in in 2012 is their problem, not mine.

If you're going to try to call someone out, please try harder.

But I do look forward to hearing about how 2012 - 2016 matters in 2019 and beyond.

I really do.

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think that is possible considering the soft cap on football department spending. We are already close to if not at the limit. I don't see how another assistant comes in without one leaving. It is totally normal for there to be turnover on the coaching list, just like the playing list it never stays the same year to year.
Horse loves Sydney so much that he followed Hawthorn and Geelong's mantra by taking a pay cut to continue coaching for the betterment of the team. Allowing us to introduce a new coach to the panel.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney

If we're bottom 4 in 3 seasons I'll take ****ing Longmire to the Knackery myself.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Context is important.

A horse supporter asked for the number of finals won.

I provided it, the fact that Horse supporters only live in in 2012 is their problem, not mine.

If you're going to try to call someone out, please try harder.

But I do look forward to hearing about how 2012 - 2016 matters in 2019 and beyond.

I really do.
If we'd won in 2012 and done nothing since then you might have a point but two more Grand Final appearances and finals every year since. Hardly a dismal record in the interim. You make it sound like we haven't played finals since and 2012 is the only shining light.
If we're bottom 4 in 3 seasons I'll take ****ing Longmire to the Knackery myself.
I'll drive the truck for you if that's the case.

kelpie_X

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Horse probably is partly responsible for the list, but I'm not sure if there is anyone better at the moment. The two main contenders who could have replaced him, Dew and Shaw, are both at other clubs, and if we wanted to get someone better, we'd have to make them a serious offer to get them to move north.

I'm more interested in the reports from earlier in the season that he was told to "lighten up" - what did that mean exactly, and what has changed since then that caused the club to extend his contract? Presumably they must be happy with what they have seen from him?
Well he is getting them all to dance for their games now. Just like I do with my dog for a biscuit.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Its more that we have identified flaws for many years and our finals defeats and this year's performance have been the realisation of our musings for years.

Back