Review Round 21, 2019 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

There are players who do best with the field ahead of them, and Bonner usually does fine at that. It kind of applies to those long pings at goal given to him from set shots too - hes got protected space so its simpler.

For a 1990s back pocket thats fine, but now we expect loose half backs to push upfield and that means they need to maintain a broader field of awareness than just ‘in front of me’...he’s got to watch out for players coming from the periphery and time pressure is more real. Its tough, the creating half back needs what was once pretty much just a midfield instinct/skill.

The things I don’t like about Bonner’s game is that its in higher pressure situations (on field...eg proximity of opponents that might tackle or obscure options) that his weaknesses are exposed, and high pressure situations come up most often against the best sides and in finals.

I also have not seen a player overcome the deficiencies he’s shown so am skeptical that they can be. I’d love a counter example, particularly one where a coach change has made a difference.

tl:dr - with Bonner I think its a brain thing, not skill, motivation, fitness or coaching. Would love to be wrong.
I'm not betting the house he can make it. But i thought and still think he has more weapons than Amon (who proved me terribly wrong) and so i want to see another year of him (preferrably with a different coach). You could all be bronx cheering me in a year for my faith or we could all be doing a 'how good is Bonner' who knows. But it is not like he is a s**t kick or had terrible skills so for mine it is worth the roll of the dice. But flick him to the twos for awhile as it has actually done some of the others a world of good.

Possibly because he has always been faster (prior to the AFL) than his opposition. He has beautiful skills and if they are developed and we can use his agility, speed and skills he will be quite a weapon at Port.

Not all Port players need to be hard in and under skilless bullocks that blaze their way through like SPP, Wines, Rocky. We desperately need skill and silk too. (you did not say this Janus - this is more to everyone else who wants to see Bonner decapitated to prove he is tough enough)

That's why we need to persist with him. I've never expected him to be a hard nut and fly at the contest, I just wanted him to go for the loose ball when it's there to be won and tackle when he needs to.

He was in the R1 side for a reason.

Bonner had a couple errors. The htb in the 2nd qtr was dumb for sure. He still had 19 running at 84%.

He's been asked to use his leg speed to make the play, s**t like this is gonna happen in the short term. I still have big hopes for him.
His attacking side of his game isnt the problem.. it's his defensive side.. the 50/50 ball the defending his poor attempts at a tackle...

FWIW I am not a huge Bonner fan but i have become very aware due to a lot of egg on my face in recent years, that we should not write off young players too soon as we can be deceived.

Some flourish early and then show us nothing much for many years but we were seduced by their early years. And others take a bit longer but are definitely worth the wait.

I just want to keep the few players we have that can actually kick to our players chests ie Houston, Bonner, R Gray,

I'd like to try him on a wing. But when he is on song he is beautiful as a back flanker that can intercept and run it out of defensive 50. His kicks are so efficient always not like the rest of the team and they only look efficient against slower bottom sides.

I don't know why but i guess after i saw Amon completely turn around and i didn't think he had as much talent as Bonner there is still surely hope for someone with such silky skills.
I think he will end up being a very important player for us, in fact I'm sure he will

And do you know what? I had not seen a softer series of efforts from a Port player before or since, than Karl Amon last year. But he has been persisted with and come good. Just go back and look at everyone on here baying for Amon's blood last year. Selective memory much!

Bonner was soft on Saturday but can we learn from our mistakes with Amon and say that, rather than saying he IS soft and implying it is every game and that he can't change.

Port Adelaide hasn't been afraid to axe big names, this year with Charlie Dixon, Paddy Ryder and Justin Westhoff all having spent time in the reserves. But the trio, along with others who have gone up and down, are hitting their straps when it counts. Dixon bagged three goals in Saturday’s 47-point thumping of Sydney, Ryder kicked one along with sharing the ruck duties with Peter Ladhams, and Westhoff has shown he's the ultimate Mr Fix-It, plugging holes in defence. Tom Rockliff and Todd Marshall have also returned in better form after getting a chance to improve their games in the SANFL. - Lee Gaskin

I was actually referring to certain
individuals in particular who are so called Port supporters but have been posting negatively on this board for years anything Port. Hope that clarifies it for you. Apologies for having an opinion.
I am one of these posters who wants Ken out, have for 2 seasons now. However, I still like to see the team playing with committment and team work which is how they're playing atm. I'm enjoying it.

I am one of these posters who wants Ken out, have for 2 seasons now. However, I still like to see the team playing with committment and team work which is how they're playing atm. I'm enjoying it.
Fair call. I was referring to 2 regular posters only. I don’t doubt that you are a TRUE Port supporter. I also have no issues with the club moving Hinckley on, ie I am not a Hinckley apologist, but I am not in favour of the constant s**t that some people keep laying on the club.

Bonner isnt a tackler, he is an outside playmaker, there are other players in the side that need to extract the ball and give it off to bonner and for him to take the game on and be creative. Bonner is taking over the role nicely played by polec.

Port adelaide have to many inside mids, with amon and bonner in the side together, port has developed alot more run and penetration, and this has resulted in a couple wins, and a narrow loss. We are getting the balance right, and players are playing themselves into form.

I know people dont like these softer players. But they are vital to a side. You cant have just inside tackling bulls in the side.

Bonner isnt a tackler, he is an outside playmaker, there are other players in the side that need to extract the ball and give it off to bonner and for him to take the game on and be creative. Bonner is taking over the role nicely played by polec.

Port adelaide have to many inside mids, with amon and bonner in the side together, port has developed alot more run and penetration, and this has resulted in a couple wins, and a narrow loss. We are getting thebalance right, and players are playing themselves into form.

I know people dont like these softer players. But they are vital to a side. You cant have just inside tackling bulls in the side.
If Bonner tackles like Amon I'd be happier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bonner was grinding my gears yesterday, having said that get him out of defence if we're going to persist.
Me too almost lost it when he stepped out of the way and just watched to soft. But I also think he has huge potential and is a must keep.

So Amon is the Dimma Premiership now?

Before this season Amon was still comfortably better than Bonner

This is some ridiculous revisionist history. 2018 Amon wasn't fit to carry Bonner's bags.

I'm so sick of people saying to get Bonner onto a wing because he's poor defensively. That's where he'll be exploited way more. Do you want Bonner 1 on 1 with Brad hill and being entirely reliant on chasing him down? Or do you want him covering Matera in d50 where he just has to bring the ball down and neutralise it as he has immediate assistance from the likes of Jonas/Clurey/Hartlett.

Playing on the wing requires MORE two way running, than attacking half back. It's why duursma is so good there - he runs as hard defensively as anyone.

I'm so sick of people saying to get Bonner onto a wing because he's poor defensively. That's where he'll be exploited way more. Do you want Bonner 1 on 1 with Brad hill and being entirely reliant on chasing him down? Or do you want him covering Matera in d50 where he just has to bring the ball down and neutralise it as he has immediate assistance from the likes of Jonas/Clurey/Hartlett.

Playing on the wing requires MORE two way running, than attacking half back. It's why duursma is so good there - he runs as hard defensively as anyone.
Time is up for Bonner anyway. No way should he keep his spot.

I've just finished watching the game. The umps have mostly favored us, but Sydney did itself no favour with their bad accuracy.

A solid outing against a fighting, but weaker, opponent. We are certainly a better team with Dixon and Marshall down front. The forward line doesn't look like a liability any more, and we seem to attack with purpose.

I would give us a 7/10 for this win.

As of Saturday night, the Power had jumped into the top eight thanks to mid-season rookie draft pick Cam Sutcliffe slotting a goal after the siren. Port made the most of their chances, smashing the Swans in the inside 50s (68-37).

IN THE VOTES Connor Rozee is still right in the mix to win the Rising Star award, booting three goals from 20 touches, with the classy midfielder/forward a vital factor in the win. Tom Jonas (24 disposals) was a rock down back, while newly re-signed ruck Peter Ladhams was superb.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT The Power won all the major statistic categories, with their forward line firing. Travis Boak had a rare down performance, kicking at just 17 per cent, while Sam Gray was also quiet.

THE MAGOOS There were some big numbers in the SANFL as Port Adelaide thumped the Eagles by 63 points. Steven Motlop kicked five goals, while Kane Farrell, Dougal Howard and Boyd Woodcock all added three goals each. Scott Lycett was dominant in the ruck with 30 disposals and eight marks, while Willem Drew racked up 38 disposals.

GRADE A

We've lost to a flagging GWS, beaten a prostrate and comatose Essendon and the Swans that have lost 5(6?) on the trot, all of this comes after a nightmarish performance against Brisbane.

We've learned absolutely nothing other than we look more exciting with more talls. Our form over the last two weeks is a complete lie.
No, cannot agree. The last two games were quite different to each other and I was pleased to see how the coaches adapted.

Forward entries and structure are also much improved.

I have hated the last few years of Hinkleyball but this present method and structure is not Hinkleyball. It is quite different, offering great hope for the future, including this year.

The only concern is the coach. Will he be able to resist listening to his inner super-safe demons and Bassett, so returning us to the dark ages? Or will he continue listening to Montgomery/Schofield/Thompson - and can this arrangement continue on into next year.

As to the quality of the two opponents, maybe, but the way their defences were overcome was very good, and Sydney always keep coming at you.

The form isn't a lie, but we have been let down before by Hinkley so there will be reservations in future.

No, cannot agree. The last two games were quite different to each other and I was pleased to see how the coaches adapted.

Forward entries and structure are also much improved.

I have hated the last few years of Hinkleyball but this present method and structure is not Hinkleyball. It is quite different, offering great hope for the future, including this year.

The only concern is the coach. Will he be able to resist listening to his inner super-safe demons and Bassett, so returning us to the dark ages? Or will he continue listening to Montgomery/Schofield/Thompson - and can this arrangement continue on into next year.

As to the quality of the two opponents, maybe, but the way their defences were overcome was very good, and Sydney always keep coming at you.

The form isn't a lie, but we have been let down before by Hinkley so there will be reservations in future.
Hinkley only trusts Dixon. That's the issue. There is no evidence it has changed.

Port adelaide have to many inside mids, with amon and bonner in the side together, port has developed alot more run and penetration, and this has resulted in a couple wins, and a narrow loss. We are getting the balance right, and players are playing themselves into form.

"I know people dont like these softer players. But they are vital to a side."

What the hell am I reading? Surely you just made a poor choice of words? yes, that must be it!

No one expects, or wants, him to be an inside bull ... But I do expect him to at least make an effort to go for the loose ball, instead of waiting for his opponent to get it then rely on trying to tackle/get it off him. He did this on multiple occasions, and lost out every time.

Yes he was "soft" as you say - Totally unforgivable, especially for a player with so much to offer. Will be interesting to see how the coaches respond this week.

SPP, his upside is huge..BUT, we will have salary cap issues, in the next 2 years, trying to retain players..He may be a player we can not afford. This time last year, I did not see this as an issue, but things are starting to come together. The future looks Rozee.........

ryder will be off the books, sGray could be off the books. not to mention he is already contracted

Last week we took 15 marks from 58 inside 50's for 11.2 with 2 behinds being posters. Also kicked 3.0 from 3 free kicks inside 50. So 14.2 from set shots.

This week we took 9 marks from 68 inside 50's for 6.2 - Ryder kicked 2 points from marks. Also kicked 4.2 from 6 free kicks inside 50. So 10.4 from set shots.

Its a lot easier game when you take marks inside 50 and get free kicks inside 50 and convert to goals. Yesterday with the strong breeze was tougher than under the roof at Docklands.

Hamish in the last completed the perfect pass to a sliding Dixon on the lead.

This has been missing a lot from our play. It’s one thing to have the largest forward 50 time but as we all know our delivery is crap.

Hopefully our midfielders continue with composure and kick to a position making the forward lead.

Thought I had posted the CD tables yesterday but looks like I forgot. As expected plenty of green for us and red for the swans.

I commented on our set shot kicking and that once again it was good conversion, not as good as last week, but like last week our Xscore 87was less than our Actual score 103, which is only the 4th time this year, the China game, 2nd showdown and last week.

Surprised by the free kick differential. Knew it was 11 v 7 at half time but didn't pick up it was 26 v 11 at the end of the game. We had 7 free's inside 50, I have we kicked 4.2 from 6 frees, don't know what happened from the 7th one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back