Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Adelaide (R22, Sat 17/08 4:35pm AO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on the drop Mayne posts. I am somewhat baffled. He has over the last few weeks been asked to play wing, defensive forward, plug holes in backline be a general marshall of the troops. Copped some heavy wacks and played on regardless. Yes may have some deficiencies, as do all players but rarely turns ball over.

So dont really understand the calls to drop him at this point in time

They have no idea if they think Mayne will be dropped or is not playing his role for our Club.

To the Mayne detractors how many goals did he cop yesterday?

For me, Daicos doesn’t have the instinct to compensate for his lack of size and pace. Brown, on the other hand, is very good in close and seems to be able to see the path for him and or the ball. I saw a number of instances yesterday where Daicos got the ball yesterday and seemed to be saying to himself - ok, what now? There was one centre clearance, I think in the last quarter where Adams extracted and hand balled to Wills, who had passed also low and hard to Daicos who then looked backwards and sideways before he was quickly mown down. I think that either happens to you or it doesn’t and is not something which improves with experience and training.
Did have significant concussion

If it was just based on today, I'd be dropping Elliott over Varcoe in exchange for DeGoey. But neither have to go at this stage.

Out: Daicos
In: DeGoey

Also reckon Wells might be a sneaky chance if he lights it up in the VFL.
You would want some games in Wells first. You can’t afford to have him break down in a final.

Maybe. Could also be why WHE had a poor game, Jamie quiet too.

No Jmac, Roughie providing contest did not contribute to WHE not hitting the scoreboard nor Billy's quiet game. Both are still trying to find form yeah I know Will has hit the scoreboard recently but he's not in consistent form - he'll get there. Hopefully come finals he'll have found his confidence.

For all those bagging the move, what did you expect? That Roughie marks everything and bags 10? He was put there as a like for like to replace Cox the latter has not seen form since the Richmond game but is still important to our structure - no Cox or Roughie no bag of 4 for Checkers.

They have no idea if they think Mayne will be dropped or is not playing his role for our Club.

1268F9A8-81BE-4751-8293-2EC90276E7EE.gif

No Jmac, Roughie providing contest did not contribute to WHE not hitting the scoreboard nor Billy's quiet game. Both are still trying to find form yeah I know Will has hit the scoreboard recently but he's not in consistent form - he'll get there. Hopefully come finals he'll have found his confidence.

For all those bagging the move, what did you expect? That Roughie marks everything and bags 10? He was put there as a like for like to replace Cox the latter has not seen form since the Richmond game but is still important to our structure - no Cox or Roughie no bag of 4 for Checkers.
I would have played a small forward line. Checkers or Wills could have given Grundy a rest.

Our best footy is to move the ball quickly. We don’t do that with the get out kick down the line. If we are to challenge we need to start taking some risks through the middle.

I would have played a small forward line. Checkers or Wills could have given Grundy a rest.

Our best footy is to move the ball quickly. We don’t do that with the get out kick down the line. If we are to challenge we need to start taking some risks through the middle.

If we played a small forward line with only Checkers as the tall, Checkers gets double or triple teamed all day. Having two talls does not disallow the swarm and spread game style that we should be playing.

Unfortunately at times the opposition does not allow us the run and gun game, no team has the luxury to play the way they want from siren to siren. We need talls in the forward line to bring the ball to ground or mark it - because sometimes we have no choice because of the opposition to put it to a contest.

If we played a small forward line with only Checkers as the tall, Checkers gets double or triple teamed all day. Having two talls does not disallow the swarm and spread game style that we should be playing.

Unfortunately at times the opposition does not allow us the run and gun game, no team has the luxury to play the way they want from siren to siren. We need talls in the forward line to bring the ball to ground or mark it - because sometimes we have no choice because of the opposition to put it to a contest.
Like I said, I think it was a great opportunity to get back to our best footy. I hope we don’t ever play Roughie forward again.

Our form is building, I have confidence we can beat the crows @AO even if we go in unchanged. I'd imagine if a fit JDG and Moore are available they'd come in though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far its out Daicos in Noble.

If Moore or De Goey are ok to go thats great. Only other one who looked viable was T Brown but I'm not sure he gets a shot unless one of the wounded drops out as well (Maynard, Sidey, Pendles)

Like I said, I think it was a great opportunity to get back to our best footy. I hope we don’t ever play Roughie forward again.

Sometimes we don't have a choice mate, no it's not ideal I know but it'd be better than disrupting the structure. We didn't lose anything because Cox has not been in great form anyway.

As far as our best form goes we still have a way to go but we're building. There were good signs yesty we just need to put some consistency together - I reckon it's in the group I think there's belief there.

Let's just quietly go under the radar and then ambush come finals.

So far its out Daicos in Noble.

If Moore or De Goey are ok to go thats great. Only other one who looked viable was T Brown but I'm not sure he gets a shot unless one of the wounded drops out as well (Maynard, Sidey, Pendles)
Moore and JDG make us a 20% better side.

Moore and JDG make us a 20% better side.

I'd love to see them back, Im not holding my breath for next week. Moore is so important stucturally now and De Goey is our only try match turning player.

I hear you and understand your trepidation spartan.

But despite the pain they have caused me I have never feared them.

They were EXTREMELY fortunate twice against us in the '70's.

They were our bitches in '70 through the year and in the GF we were tearing them to shreds until Tuddy smashed Macca who already had 4 before half time and was ripping them several new arseholes.

As for Harmes . . . language filters forbid my true feelings about that. Suffice to say NOT a deserved win.

Modern Carlscum have always been smart arses and their gloating and grandstanding after a couple of EXTREMELY fortunate victories is typical of the would be social climbers that gravitate towards supporting that cesspit of a club.
Totally agree with your sentiments. I was there that day in 1970 and it’s never left me. Their gloating then and for years after was unforgivable.

One detail... my memory says Macca actually had six at half time — he was destroying their defence and there’s no doubt the collision with Tuddy was what stopped us collecting a richly deserved flag.

For me, Daicos doesn’t have the instinct to compensate for his lack of size and pace. Brown, on the other hand, is very good in close and seems to be able to see the path for him and or the ball. I saw a number of instances yesterday where Daicos got the ball yesterday and seemed to be saying to himself - ok, what now? There was one centre clearance, I think in the last quarter where Adams extracted and hand balled to Wills, who had passed also low and hard to Daicos who then looked backwards and sideways before he was quickly mown down. I think that either happens to you or it doesn’t and is not something which improves with experience and training.
Daics didn't play the second half so not sure how he could have been mowed down.

Reckon DeGoey and Moore are fit to go horse, got two games to get em some game time - wouldn't be surprised if either or both come in.

Look, given our history, at the moment I'm a bit

tumblr_mxq6gw31Qb1qiu7yxo9_250.gif

But if they do get up, I will totally be

Angus 2.gif

While Mayne doesn’t have the most talent of our list, he certainly has the most courage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back