Analysis A win, although not a triumph. Pies by 17 over Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

I was having this exact converation with a couple of Pies fans as we walked through Yarra Park after the game. Is there a law that says rotating rucks cant come out of defence? Does it leave too big a (temporary) hole in the back six, and expose the defence too much? Is it too physically demanding? I have no idea. But given how good Roughy has been this year, I'd much prefer he stayed down back. Madgen did well enough, but against a poor side. The equation of moving Roughy from defence to forward didnt really work - was more negative than positive, even though we won.

Checkers was outstanding BTW. What a great pick up he's been, hard worker, with a fantastic attitude. Has that Tassie toughness and no-nonsense too, head down and bum up and just gets on with it.
I felt the Roughie move was basically to provide a tall option up forward to take some of the pressure off Cheekers which obviously worked. A little bit of a chop out for Grundy but not my first option in the finals of course.

He basically confirmed in the pressor that he will persist with said experiment. Sounds like a plan. Take our best defender and put him forward. Genius move. :$

WHE had his best game last week as FF too. So Buckley puts him back high up the ground following week where he went back to a serviceable game only with zero scoreboard impact.

It's a special sort of genius really.

Last edited:
WHE had his best game last week as FF. So Buckley puts him back high up the ground following week where he went back to a serviceable game only with zero scoreboard impact.

So tell me Coach, what would you have done?

And I get that its a tragedy we lost this game, we could really have done with your skillful coaching tactics to have gotten us over the line

Lol, Murphy and Kelly are young kids no where near ready, Reid has been finished for years, you'll get a handful of mediocre games from him every year.. not someone you can plan around. So the only one we actually have there for 2019 is Moore, who is ALSO highly injury prone. And to try and count hail mary Irish kids as KPP depth in 2019 is hilarious and deluded.

Murphy not ready - really he played last year and was very good.
So now you have changed your story - it’s not that we don’t have KPP depth it’s just you don’t rate them or they are to young. Well at least you’ve back tracked on your original point that we don’t have any.
So without injuries Cox, Moore, Kelly, Tohill, Keane, Wilson ,Murphy we have enough KPP depth.

So tell me Coach, what would you have done?
This! I love it when I read some posts, lots of criticisms but offer no alternatives.
I too didn't like Roughhead our best and most consistent defender forward but couldn't think of other options, except for maybe Magden playing forward.

This! I love it when I read some posts, lots of criticisms but offer no alternatives.
I too didn't like Roughhead our best and most consistent defender forward but couldn't think of other options, except for maybe Magden playing forward.

Jeremy Howe, I'd imagine, would go ok.

Sure, you're robbing the backline either way, but when Roughhead is up forward asking Mihocek, a 30 odd game AFL career, where to go and where to stand and that he doesn't like playing forward, surely the logical conclusion would be Howe first.

WHE at FF too where he is at his best.

But Buckley will continue the experiment on the eve of finals...The only solid key defender of the entire year both in form and injuries - play him forward... :$

Last edited:
Jeremy Howe, I'd imagine, would go ok.

Sure, you're robbing the backline either way, but when Roughhead is up forward asking Mihocek, a 30 odd game AFL career, where to go and where to stand and that he doesn't like playing forward, surely the logical conclusion would be Howe first.

WHE at FF too where he is at his best instead of the wing.

But Buckley will continue the experiment on the eve of finals...
You are still robbing one line to fix another.

I think that it is difficult when your choices are limited especially when you are still hoping that players like WHE, Mayne, Thomas (although he was better yesterday) find some better form; Wills and Daicos trying hard but not best 22. That is 5 players you are crossing all fingers for.

Sometimes you have to try different things when you have limited options. Our options are certainly limited at the moment and I hope we have someone play well today in the VFL.

You are still robbing one line to fix another.

I think that it is difficult when your choices are limited especially when you are still hoping that players like WHE, Mayne, Thomas (although he was better yesterday) are out of form; Wills and Daicos trying hard but not best 22.

Sometimes you have to try different things when you have limited options. Our options are certainly limited at the moment and I hope we have someone play well today in the VFL.

Clearly didn't read. You reiterated the exact same sentence to start with.

Oh well.

Some may think it ridiculous but I’m still wondering whether we can manufacture this with Roughead rotating into the ruck from the backline. Fact is whenever a main ruck goes off the ground it’s going to be an oppo forward that goes into the ruck for a brief stint, meaning they’ll lose a tall option. We should be able to readjust given it’ll only be five minutes and Roughy would play where he is comfortable.

It doesn't work - backs have to work a lot harder than forwards do which is why you hardly ever see a backman chopping out in the ruck.

Backmen (especially key position backmen) also need to get themselves into the right mindset to maintain that defensive focus, which can easily be lost if they're constantly switching in and out.

WHE had his best game last week as FF too. So Buckley puts him back high up the ground following week where he went back to a serviceable game only with zero scoreboard impact.

WHE missed a couple of gettable shots (for him) and he completely fluffed that joe-the-goose handball receive in the goal square (no fumble = certain goal).

I saw his game as being similar to Elliot, did the right things but failed to convert his opportunities.

Just catching up on the other scores from last night and glad we weren't on the wrong end of this round. Unbelievable scorelines.

Given the following :

- state of our list with injury
- players out of position
- lack of a consistent lineup
- players out on their feet in the last

I can't find too much to complain about. We chalked up a win and the finals bye can't come quick enough. We have Aish,Wells,DeGoey,Moore, Stevo and Sier likely available for finals and I'm guessing we can forget Cox, langdon, Beams,Quaynor,Reid. The main worry is getting back a bunch of underdone players for an Elimination final if things go that way.

As far as the game goes it was good to see Thomas and Varcoe looking sharper - Checkers and Crispy really lifting and our core midfield players beginning to click a bit. Wills also beginning to look the part.

Glass half full - two good quarters of footy which is the best we've managed in a while (Gold Coast aside)

Last edited:
And it may have been cos he’s down on himself. Solid game, 11 possessions, 6 marks but only 3 points. If stats read 11 poss, 6 marks and 3 goals it’s a far different conversation. He’s way to good a kick to miss those set shots normally.
I thought there were some positive signs from Elliott. He is nowhere near his best but if he keeps fit I would keep picking him. Class wins finals. Hopefully he continues to build.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He throws himself in to the contest. Pity he isn’t a little cleaner with his hands. If he was he would be best 22 without a doubt.
At present he has a little way to go but with only two games in his preferred position it's natural he is still learning his fellow mids patterns and strengths, with some continuity he should improve.

Just catching up on the other scores from last night and glad we weren't on the wrong end of this round. Unbelievable scorelines.

Given the following :

- state of our list with injury
- players out of position
- lack of a consistent lineup
- players out on their feet in the last

I can't find too much to complain about. We chalked up a win and the finals bye can't come quick enough. We have Aish,Wells,DeGoey,Moore, Stevo and Sier likely available for finals and I'm guessing we can forget Cox, langdon, Beams,Quaynor,Reid. The main worry is getting back a bunch of underdone players for an Elimination final if things go that way.

As far as the game goes it was good to see Thomas and Varcoe looking sharper - Checkers and Crispy really lifting and our core midfield players beginning to click a bit. Wills also beginning to look the part.

Glass half full - two good quarters of footy which is the best we've managed in a while (Gold Coast aside)
Bringing a bunch of players in seemed to go okay for the Dogs from 7th. If we can snag a top 4 spot see no reason why we can't go all the way if we have some luck and want it enough.

Bringing a bunch of players in seemed to go okay for the Dogs from 7th. If we can snag a top 4 spot see no reason why we can't go all the way if we have some luck and want it enough.

Yeah - certainly possible but I think we'd agree that it would be preferable to have some stability in our lineup (esp back six) coming in to finals. I think Stevo, DeGoey and Moore are the sort of players who CAN come in and not be too rusty vs midfielders who I reckon would need more time. Hopefully we can keep Pendles,Sidey,Treloar,Adams etc.......fit as a unit coming into finals.

A win is a win and at this stage of the season that was an important win for us. It was frustrating at the time to see us give up those 4Q goals but it was FAR more annoying to see the dogs allow essendon to get those late goals (if only they’d been held to one goal...)

Thanks for saying could've and should've instead of could of and should of. You have restored my faith in humanity!!
Yes, but we shouldn't get complacent; I still see WERE instead of WE'RE and THERE instead of THEY'RE far too often in here, and before I'm accused of being a grammar nazi, this is really English 101. If grade three students can and do learn these rules, adults should have no problems.

There is no doubt we took our foot off the gas and took a bit to get going. Seems we're holding back for some reason, not sure why but it's clear we never doubted ourselves. It looked like we had it covered.

I'm not convinced we're struggling anymore, we just turned it on when needed. The test will come in finals and we'll need to go another gear or two against sterner opposition.

Are we able? Absolutely, will we though? Each way bet.
I think we’re trying to save our bodies from more injuries, we don’t need anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back