Autopsy Rd 21 Blues luck dries up in the wet

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 against the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Structure is still hard to watch - we don’t even try to use the middle.
McKay has been down for a long time.
Umpiring was frustrating for both teams. Some shocking calls.

Overall, it’s far more enjoyable watching us these days for the fact we always seem to be a threat of a late win.. but lots of work left to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There needs to be some better movement with the ball through the middle particularly coming out from defence there's countless opportunities every week that we don't take and robotically just go wide ..
For us to challenge other teams we need to be able to hurt them through more attacking ball movement...

Fish has never played well as a forward...right now he's a mid or nothing.

Not capable of any kind of contested mark and doesn't have a right foot are 2 pretty big things holding him back from being a decent forward.
his run into the forward line was exciting but I sort of already knew he was gonna fluff the kick.........

Say what you want, but we should definitely have been a chance to win today and we got nowhere near actually threatening to win.

Some of you might excuse it as a top 4 team blah blah blah, but truth is that no effort or gameplan besides push the ball forward at all costs resulted in not even threatening to win a winnable game

This. I agree 100%. We were never in it when we should have been based on our last 8 weeks.

A lot of overreacting on here.

We played the best team in the comp on their favourite ground in their favourite conditions. We started the game with a structure that wasn't going to work and were on the back foot from then on.

Teague made the changes and we dominated for large periods of the second half. It was our finishing that hurt us in the end.

Anyone that's crying foul about today's display needs a reality check. Given the last goal was clearly after the siren, we are 4 goals away from the best in the business. Thats a far cry from where we were earlier this season.

Keep your head people.
Not sure many have had a crack at the 2nd half, but the 1st half was woeful. Can't play like that an expect a win against quality opposition. 4 goals down at half time, lose by 4 goals.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

I don't get it really. If you have an extra at the stoppages then you ought know where you're out numbered. If you are going to play that way you need to flick it around like the dogs do and find the open man. You simply must NOT slam it forward on the boot. But we have done that repeatedly 2 weeks in a row.

Look i agree, especially in wet conditions and the pressure Richmond put you under, was always going to be hard to flick it around like that...can't really blame the players for just throwing it on the boot at times, it was all they could do.

For that reason yes, i would have liked Teague to make the change to man up their spare defender earlier.

But he clearly had a plan in mind and i guess the players just weren't able to execute. Even in his post-game interview he basically said they reluctantly made the change at half time because they had to, but that it wasn't the way Teague wanted us to play.

I canned the umpires during the game. But once its over that game personna is gone.
A total waste of energy if nothing else.
I dont like the way it looks as it happens.
It never looks so bad in the replay.
I say watch the pathetic sight of opposition supporters as they lose their s**t over an umpiring decision - do we want to look like that?

Oh seriously mate. Why does losing always have to come with silly statements. That was being said about so many players and guess what they came good.Actually they werent that bad anyway. Levi is example A. Lang is just off a long injury and needs a preseason.

Or you, know, the other option? Lang just isn't good enough.

Say what you want, but we should definitely have been a chance to win today and we got nowhere near actually threatening to win.

Some of you might excuse it as a top 4 team blah blah blah, but truth is that no effort or gameplan besides push the ball forward at all costs resulted in not even threatening to win a winnable game
Agree with your first sentence carlton2dabone and yet the second one is what got us back into the game with a slim chance. Damned hard to come back in the wet. We will continue to learn, build and return as a force to be reckoned with soon enough. Stay tuned for 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disappointed with the acceptance here of another lack of early effort.
This shouldn’t be swept away with calls of “we fought it out” etc.
Just unacceptable
Turn up fully committed and ready to play from the first bounce when it really bloody matters !!

100% this.

Theres a few here that have forgotten how far we have come.
The reality is its always been about next year and beyond.
We have a lot of talent and some real grit. But as far as size and strength goes there is a long way to go.
What we have to love is the way they play already. Its really good exciting hard football.
Tough to beat teams that have their system in place for 3 or 4 years.
We are getting closer and closer.
Two and a half months ago we were miles off it, playing a different style.

You seem like the type of fan who would find something to grizzle about if we won the flag.

Think you will find we will start to win these type of games over the next 18 -24 months.

Bit of patience and realistic perspective is required. We are all disappointed if not ticked off about losing to the Ferals again, but Rome wasn't built in a Day. It's simply unrealistic to go from zeros to heroes overnight. We are not the cast of some fairytale Kevin Costner movie about Baseball (for example)

The movie you are referring too wasn't about baseball.

Hope Reiwoldt gets suspended.

The umpires were embarrassing. The commentary with two Richmond players ridiculous. Just beyond bias.

We did well effort wise. I still don't think McGovern should have played this year. He can't run out games.

DeLuca has some good touches. JSOS effort is insane. Loved Jones and Weitering and our defence as a whole was good. Our midfield defensively were really off at stages in the game.

Our forward line isn't functioning. McKay can't get near it and is often just overwhelmed by the odds.
Yep, we went in too tall, McKay unsighted, needed another small there to keep it in

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Richmond dont have the game to beat WC in a GF. they are a bunch of smiling smart arses with a few tricks that work because they are quick and well drilled. They would have all their fingers and toes crossed for Martin to be right for finals. Jones and Weitering matched up well against them and nullified them - 4 goals to Graham shouldn't happen.

Thought those close to siren marks were suppossed to be reviewed??? Guess AFL helping out with some %

Interesting Ralphy mentioned Ratts interviewing for us this week (odd week to be doing so but I hope they ask him how as an opposition coach he would plan to beat us).

Do wonder if Teague is pondering if he’s ready for the gig..

Hard thing is we need to drop a couple (Lang, Fisher) but we have not much left to replace them with.

Back