Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

WADA/ASADA & AFL should have banned him for life and should not be allowed within 2ks of a ground and 5ks of junior footy.
WADA/ASADA didn't go after him though. They went the players instead.
Very surprised the AFL didn't (or whose to say they haven't but its a silent ban).

Anyways - Truck and Caracella will eventually be Senior & Snr Asst.
there is no need to mess with that moving forward.

this thread is a bit stupid. I can't ever see him coaching again.

Poor old Knighta. Built a good list, got knifed for Hirdy and Jimmy completely f’ed it up.

The list was ahead of the development curve under Knighta.
The groundwork had been laid by the time Hird knifed him.
Hird ruined that groundwork.

However, when the likes of Sheedy and Robbo are saying give Hird a second chance, and Hird himself says never say never when asked about coaching again.....

However, when the likes of Sheedy and Robbo are saying give Hird a second chance, and Hird himself says never say never when asked about coaching again.....
i thought the list was Dodoro's fault?

Admittedly, we drafted ok under him.
Hooker, Hurley - both AA's
Pears could have been but injury killed him. But i remember early battles with Buddy looked like they'd be one to watch for the future
Bellchambers has been a great rookie pickup

Myers over Danger/Rioli not so good
Getting 16 for Lovett, but then letting it go for Williams and picks for Colyer & Long (Fyfe/Duncan)

Whether that was Dodoro under his direction, or filling his needs. Did pick some good players back then

too bad they were poorly coached.

Hird>Knights as a coach.
Knights>Hird in terms of not destroying the club for 4 years or more

i thought the list was Dodoro's fault?

Admittedly, we drafted ok under him.
Hooker, Hurley - both AA's
Pears could have been but injury killed him. But i remember early battles with Buddy looked like they'd be one to watch for the future
Bellchambers has been a great rookie pickup

Myers over Danger/Rioli not so good
Getting 16 for Lovett, but then letting it go for Williams and picks for Colyer & Long (Fyfe/Duncan)

Whether that was Dodoro under his direction, or filling his needs. Did pick some good players back then

too bad they were poorly coached.

Hird>Knights as a coach.
Knights>Hird in terms of not destroying the club for 4 years or more

AFL really screwed Essendon over in 2006 when they changed the priority pick rules during the year.
Sheedy is on record saying they would have used their pick on Joel Selwood had the rules not been changed.
Should have picked Dangerfield the following year as well.
Who knows whether he'd have still pissed off to Geelong had he been drafted by a Melbourne club?

This is a prime example of the many idiotic, ignorant, doltish posts that fill this ridiculous thread.

Positive tests

Pies 3
Essendon 0

What ever juice the players were on it did jack s**t it's not like the team went on a rampage and won the flag so I cant see what they used as performance enhancing.

So because they didn't win the flag therefore the mysterious off site drugs they took can't of enhanced performance? Hilarious logic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Hird shouldn’t be let near AFL again. He and his BIgFooty acolytes instead should form a cult just outside Wangaratta where they can fawn over him, fan him with palm fronds, trade recommendations for health tonics, play kick to kick, tousle each other’s hair, and have a tipping competition etc. This way, everybody’s happy and nobody loses.

Ok then why no positive tests?

"WADA was able to use evidence gathered by ASADA to prove that the players had been injected with the prohibited substance as part of a team program designed to give Essendon an unfair advantage in the 2012 season."

Keep your head in the sand mate. Lance Armstrong didn't test positive to anything while an athlete either. New drugs are often ahead of the tests

Ok then why no positive tests?
Because the case hinged on whether the Thymosin Beta-4 that Dank ordered was administered or not. How could there be an elevated level if it wasn’t? It’s a banned substance in any quantity. Would’ve thought you’d known this.

“Two urine samples taken from Essendon players during 2012 were also found to contain elevated levels of Thymosin Beta-4; the levels were not sufficiently high to constitute a failed drug test, but they added to the cable of evidence against the players.”.

On top of that they proved that players withheld information during asada’s regulation tests. Why is this evidence good enough for everyone except you?

Good question.
I'd be shattered if he came to Richmond just because of the baggage, but if he could come back through some smaller roles and show to be a better coach than he was before then I don't see why not.

Taking responsibility for what happened would go a loooonnnngggg way to gaining acceptance from the public. Regardless of how much of it was his doing, he was the figure head of the club and needs to stand up and say that he got it wrong (if he hasn't, I haven't seen it)

At this point though it would be too much of a distraction. I don't think the public is ready for Hird to come back.

No way in hell. Considering what he did to our club. I loved Hirdy as a player but the whole drug saga was a total debacle. Should of resigned ASAP and taken the deal the AFL offered. Yet his arrogance blinded him and dragged the saga on for 4-5 years. It could have been all done and dusted by the end of the 2013.

No way in hell. Considering what he did to our club. I loved Hirdy as a player but the whole drug saga was a total debacle. Should of resigned ASAP and taken the deal the AFL offered. Yet his arrogance blinded him and dragged the saga on for 4-5 years. It could have been all done and dusted by the end of the 2013.
I was shocked at how long it went on for.

I was shocked at how long it went on for.
Yeah most of us were. It would of been over quickly like the Cronulla thing. Plus hirdy wasn’t the best coach. He left us with an extremely old list after he left that Woosha has somewhat fixed. Clubs mentally weak though due to the whole thing.

What ever juice the players were on it did jack s**t it's not like the team went on a rampage and won the flag so I cant see what they used as performance enhancing.

They physically worked Carlton over off a short break like demented beasts when the Blues were premiership favourites, and they’ve never recovered.

8-1, until their bodies could no longer take the unnatural strain and they began breaking down.

He burnt some bridges at the club that won’t be repaired in time for him to coach at Essendon again.

AFL really screwed Essendon over in 2006 when they changed the priority pick rules during the year.
Sheedy is on record saying they would have used their pick on Joel Selwood had the rules not been changed.
Should have picked Dangerfield the following year as well.
Who knows whether he'd have still pi**ed off to Geelong had he been drafted by a Melbourne club?
im not normally a fan of these revisionist comments by clubs (like Dododo saying we were going to move for Cripps and Lobb had we kept our 2013 picks)

fwiw though, Joel was a Bendigo pioneer and we used to have a pretty decent relationship with them.
Had we taken him, i imagine he's still there today

What could have been i guess
Gumbleton stays fit & we have him and Daniher as our key posts
Joel and Danger in the middle alongside Merrett.....may as well dream up that we still land Shiel
Ryder as our main ruck
2013 draft is either Cripps & Lobb in, with Merrett later, or we do the original Crameri trade (according to Dodoro) and land Bont & Lobb instead.

Spine of Hooker Hurley Ryder Daniher Gumbleton
Midfield of Selwood Danger Bont Merrett Shiel.

Back