Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Jun 2, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Will come in vs Brisbane imo
What’s this on the basis though mate? I haven’t seen him play in the VFL but from all reports he’s been solid but it’s not easy to break into our best twenty-two at the moment. Especially with Dusty and Cotchin to come back in.

I really hope he can preform good enough to try and force his way into the side though!

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
What’s this on the basis though mate? I haven’t seen him play in the VFL but from all reports he’s been solid but it’s not easy to break into our best twenty-two at the moment. Especially with Dusty and Cotchin to come back in.

I really hope he can preform good enough to try and force his way into the side though!

A couple of things:
-Is rated incredibly highly by coaches and players
-Played 2 very different roles last week and this week, which tells me they’re fast tracking his prep in a couple of different roles
-Coaches still experimenting with players in different roles. Best 22 not settled

Just a gut feel will have another hit out next week and if he performs well will be given a chance

Last edited:

Tiges1229

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 26, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Lygon st tmrw after scums 5 goal loss lol
46D7A254-2856-4B2A-B7B7-D5E2A6B101B7.jpeg

Clearly played a different role this week, was playing HB and a Macca style wing role on the fat side. Did t do anything wrong just didn’t get enough of it, but importantly was clean and did everything right

Will come in vs Brisbane imo

Now I am a fan so far (like most), so I want to agree with you, but I can't. He did enough wrong to be called 50 / 50 today. Dumb block on an opposition ruckman about to contest a Ruck - free kick. Nearly stuck a great tackle but went high and gave a shot on goal. When on Kennedy and visa versa, Kennedy push him off the contest or out of the way far too easily. He cruised a bit much off the contest. He did good stuff too. BUT, I would take him to Perth next week in place of Bolton. And I really like Bolton, but he stunk today, too lairy and needs to go back to VFL. We would have lost nothing having a mediocre Pickett in today than having a really piss poor Bolton.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Now I am a fan so far (like most), so I want to agree with you, but I can't. He did enough wrong to be called 50 / 50 today. Dumb block on an opposition ruckman about to contest a Ruck - free kick. Nearly stuck a great tackle but went high and gave a shot on goal. When on Kennedy and visa versa, Kennedy push him off the contest or out of the way far too easily. He cruised a bit much off the contest. He did good stuff too. BUT, I would take him to Perth next week in place of Bolton. And I really like Bolton, but he stunk today, too lairy and needs to go back to VFL. We would have lost nothing having a mediocre Pickett in today than having a really piss poor Bolton.

In all fairness I think the block on the ruckman and the too high free kick were borderline ridiculous frees and I wouldn’t use those examples to bring a players performance down.
I do agree he was cruising, he was also cruising last week, was never sucking in the deep ones and looked fresh as a daisy at the huddles last week. He wasn’t great by any stretch today, by he played his role well, skills were clean. Did you notice him playing the fat side of the ground today? Very different role to last week.

Wouldn’t drop Bolton after today - also can’t see us making more than 2 changes maybe 3 if they want soldo in for Chol, so Pickett won’t play next week. Best bet last week

Last edited:
In all fairness I think the block on the ruckman and the too high free kick were borderline ridiculous frees and I wouldn’t use those examples to bring a players performance down.
I do agree he was cruising, he was also cruising last week, was never sucking in the deep ones and looked fresh as a daisy at the huddles last week. He wasn’t great by any stretch today, by he played his role well, skills were clean. Did you notice him playing the fat side of the ground today? Very different role to last week

Yes, way different game today until later in 3rd. That was his role for all the first half. Almost like they were protecting him somehow. Doesn't feel right saying that though - he's big boy. Don't get me wrong, a player good enough to deny the switch or be able slow it up is invaluable, perhaps it was hoped it would stay drier longer, because switching is harder to effect the worse the weather becomes.

Um, that Ruck free kick was dumb - he just didn't know it at the time. Won't occur again I'm tipping. I made a comment on the Game Day thread that I also felt that his teammates didn't make enough good use of Merlion's positioning at times. 2nd game. It's bloody hard all first season usually.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yes, way different game today until later in 3rd. That was his role for all the first half. Almost like they were protecting him somehow. Doesn't feel right saying that though - he's big boy. Don't get me wrong, a player good enough to deny the switch or be able slow it up is invaluable, perhaps it was hoped it would stay drier longer, because switching is harder to effect the worse the weather becomes.

Um, that Ruck free kick was dumb - he just didn't know it at the time. Won't occur again I'm tipping. I made a comment on the Game Day thread that I also felt that his teammates didn't make enough good use of Merlion's positioning at times. 2nd game. It's bloody hard all first season usually.

All fair points I don’t disagree with any of it except the ruck free. Thought it was incredibly soft but not worth arguing about.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
There’s much more to being called up than form game by game in the vfl. Specific Roles played, training, overall vision of coaches on who they think can play what role and subsequent instructions on game day that will translate to senior level, all play a part. It’s not just who was best. That’s archaic.

Bet none of you thought Ross would play on the back of a half a vfl game? Not only that, he got stronger as the game wore on - 6possies first half and finished on 21.
This I agree with and also he’s the type that would excel in a quality side. I personally think he might be too far back fitness wise as he still looks like he’s got cobwebs up his cracker.
Positive though was he finished off powerfully in the midfield today
I reckon they were trialling him in the bl to replace Short or Caddy, but his strengths were clearly in the guts.
The opposition was Preston entrenched with GWS rejects and another failed Silvagni offspring, so I find it hard to line up where his games at.
I had Ross not making it back bc of time , but by jingo was he sensational today. Toes and fingers crossed bc he could replace either Caddy Short Ellis or Baker, but he needs to get his pace and fitness up to the required level.

Dystraction

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
Nineteeneighty
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah the carry on worries me for him more than anything.
Ridiculous expectations and I can just imagine the comments if they aren’t met.
Seen it all too much in here.
I respect your well thought out comments to this forum like you wouldn't believe. Your understanding of how important Reiwoldt is when he went down and the effect it would/did have is the stuff of legend. I just think there is something special about Pickett. Sort of Sydney Stack but with 7 years of adversity added to his football experience.

blxx

All Australian
Dec 2, 2004
my place
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
eels,tiges,everton,chiefs
He biggest asset is his versatility.

A bit like a harder edged Edwards.

Have a feeling the club see's value in him.

He is class. Put him in the ones and watch him shine like Stack did when he got a game after a couple of average VFL matches.

I respect your well thought out comments to this forum like you wouldn't believe. Your understanding of how important Reiwoldt is when he went down and the effect it would/did have is the stuff of legend. I just think there is something special about Pickett. Sort of Sydney Stack but with 7 years of adversity added to his football experience.
Certainly has an X factor unlike many other players and I tend to agree with you. You can see what I meant though, at about 12.30 yesterday if you logged onto the VFL thread you’d see people already disappointed in him! Fast Forward a few hours and the pen they were using to perhaps draw a line through his name was then doodling next to Jack Riewoldts name... JACK ******* RIEWOLDT!! I kid you not. Now the pen is being used to put a line through Sydney Stack.... games upon games of logic defying calmness, skill and maturity from a 19 year old who wasn’t even drafted dismissed in one sodden, Filthy afternoon.
They don’t * around in this joint!

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Certainly has an X factor unlike many other players and I tend to agree with you. You can see what I meant though, at about 12.30 yesterday if you logged onto the VFL thread you’d see people already disappointed in him! Fast Forward a few hours and the pen they were using to perhaps draw a line through his name was then doodling next to Jack Riewoldts name... JACK ******* RIEWOLDT!! I kid you not. Now the pen is being used to put a line through Sydney Stack.... games upon games of logic defying calmness, skill and maturity from a 19 year old who wasn’t even drafted dismissed in one sodden, Filthy afternoon.
They don’t fu** around in this joint!
You would think the fickle ones would be the old farts like us who’ve endured 37 years of pain. If people take game day threads seriously I think they shouldn’t be on here as some of the stuff that’s said on them you couldn’t make up. I think aliens have bf accounts and invade forums on game day.

GoTigers2015

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆2017🏆2019🏆2020🏆
Oct 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
TIGERS HINT AT DEBUT FOR PICKETT
By Toby Prime

It was Marlion Pickett’s first visit to the MCG on Sunday. But the Richmond mid-season recruit looked at home in the Tigers’ VFL win against Northern Blues.
And there’s a chance the mid-season recruit might play a few more games at the venue this year.

Pickett, 27, was slow to start in the 19.14 (128) to 12.12 (84) victory and finished with 15 disposals and a number of pressure acts in his second game since arriving at Punt Rd. He played as a midfielder in his VFL debut last week but started across half-back before being moved back on to the ball, where he showed glimpses of his talents.

The smooth-mover was named in Richmond’s extended squad for the clash against Carlton and he could yet receive an AFL debut before the end of the home-and-away season. “I’m not sure how much longer we’re going to have him (in the VFL team),” Richmond VFL coach Craig McRae said. “It was talked about at length at match committee this week. They wanted to see him down back (because) there’s a chance he could play that role at AFL level.

“He did it for a half then went through the midfield and he was pretty special. He did a couple of nice things. “He’s never played down back in our system. It’s on the job learning and they mentioned he may have played in the AFL today, that’s how quickly he has come into our group.” But best on ground honours would have gone to one of rookie pair Jacob Townsend and Jake Aarts, who combined for six goals and 51 disposals.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
TIGERS HINT AT DEBUT FOR PICKETT
By Toby Prime

It was Marlion Pickett’s first visit to the MCG on Sunday. But the Richmond mid-season recruit looked at home in the Tigers’ VFL win against Northern Blues.
And there’s a chance the mid-season recruit might play a few more games at the venue this year.

Pickett, 27, was slow to start in the 19.14 (128) to 12.12 (84) victory and finished with 15 disposals and a number of pressure acts in his second game since arriving at Punt Rd. He played as a midfielder in his VFL debut last week but started across half-back before being moved back on to the ball, where he showed glimpses of his talents.

The smooth-mover was named in Richmond’s extended squad for the clash against Carlton and he could yet receive an AFL debut before the end of the home-and-away season. “I’m not sure how much longer we’re going to have him (in the VFL team),” Richmond VFL coach Craig McRae said. “It was talked about at length at match committee this week. They wanted to see him down back (because) there’s a chance he could play that role at AFL level.

“He did it for a half then went through the midfield and he was pretty special. He did a couple of nice things. “He’s never played down back in our system. It’s on the job learning and they mentioned he may have played in the AFL today, that’s how quickly he has come into our group.” But best on ground honours would have gone to one of rookie pair Jacob Townsend and Jake Aarts, who combined for six goals and 51 disposals.
As I said in an earlier post it appears they want to replace a Caddy or Short or Baker or Ellis.

Back