List Mgmt. Ross Lyon - Sacked

Is Ross still the man for the job?

• Total voters
Nov 7, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
They both had good games. I was happy to see Crowden more forward. He arrived with a reputation as a kicker, and training reports seemed to affirm that, but in the few games he has played it really hadn't been a feature, so it was a real plus to see him kicking well.
That kick, when he was all on his own crossing 50, that ended in the arms of Darcy...was that a complete shank or a pass? I thought he was going for goals initially and subsequently mis-kicked it, but the spin on the ball looked like a true drop punt.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
They both had good games. I was happy to see Crowden more forward. He arrived with a reputation as a kicker, and training reports seemed to affirm that, but in the few games he has played it really hadn't been a feature, so it was a real plus to see him kicking well.
Really liked what I saw from Crowden, he's a hard worker and tough customer. Looks to have worked things out at AFL level a bit better than last year, might just be a savvy small forward for us when we have the talls that can also push up the ground.

Jun 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
That kick, when he was all on his own crossing 50, that ended in the arms of Darcy...was that a complete shank or a pass? I thought he was going for goals initially and subsequently mis-kicked it, but the spin on the ball looked like a true drop punt.

I hope it was a shank! He was running in with no pressure 40m out, if he passed it to Darcy on the behind line it was a bad decision. Clearly a shank.

GoFreo4eva

Freo Tragic Since the Beginning
Sep 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, I was at the ground and almost right behind him when he kicked it. Looked more like he was kicking for Darcy rather than looking to goal but that was late decision as he started running straight to goal first.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't understand why Ross would stick around. We are going to lose both Hills and Langdon. Our midfield unit is going to be even more weaker, so where is the improvement going to come from?

A Wingman is the easiest position on the ground. Endurance is the key and skills are not essential but will set you apart from the average winger like Ed Langdon and JJ.

The good wingers of the competition have three things in common, they can run for days, above average skills and they don't waste their time on contested possessions.

BHill, Smith, Duncan, Scully, Hunter, Billings, Sidebottom, Polec and Gagf are the absolute elite. Granted, Sidebottom, Duncan and Gagf can play as inside mids but they are far more damaging on the outside.

Last season Angus Brayshaw played the wing like he was Peter Matera. Time after time being the link between half back and goal, Seedsman did too. This season 1st year Power rookie Xavier Duursma has been fantastic in that role.

Before he was moved inside to fill gaping holes, Stephen Hill was as good as anyone at the time in that role. Shits me he will never get back to being that player, even at full fitness!

Trade Langdon + a 2nd for Angus and Hill + something to get in Kelly, our midfield doesn't look so bad after all.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
A Wingman is the easiest position on the ground. Endurance is the key and skills are not essential but will set you apart from the average winger like Ed Langdon and JJ.

The good wingers of the competition have three things in common, they can run for days, above average skills and they don't waste their time on contested possessions.

BHill, Smith, Duncan, Scully, Hunter, Billings, Sidebottom, Polec and Gagf are the absolute elite. Granted, Sidebottom, Duncan and Gagf can play as inside mids but they are far more damaging on the outside.

Last season Angus Brayshaw played the wing like he was Peter Matera. Time after time being the link between half back and goal, Seedsman did too. This season 1st year Power rookie Xavier Duursma has been fantastic in that role.

Before he was moved inside to fill gaping holes, Stephen Hill was as good as anyone at the time in that role. s**ts me he will never get back to being that player, even at full fitness!

Trade Langdon + a 2nd for Angus and Hill + something to get in Kelly, our midfield doesn't look so bad after all.

I'd be happy with that outcome if we lost BHill and Langdon.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
A perfect example today of how a Ross Lyon coached side keeps the opposition in the game through a poor skill level.

The truth is that he would’ve won the drawn GF if his team was even slightly more skilled. The unlucky bounce of the ball is a cop out. It wouldn’t have come down to that if he had have focused more on skills.

He may well have beaten Geelong and almost certainly the Hawks with us too.

And there we have it. He still hasn’t learned.

Either he changes or we replace him otherwise we won’t be winning no flag.

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
A perfect example today of how a Ross Lyon coached side keeps the opposition in the game through a poor skill level.

The truth is that he would’ve won the drawn GF if his team was even slightly more skilled. The unlucky bounce of the ball is a cop out. It wouldn’t have come down to that if he had have focused more on skills.

He may well have beaten Geelong and almost certainly the Hawks with us too.

Either he changes or we replace him otherwise we won’t be winning no flag.
Shhh don’t upset the Ross lovers

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
Obviously Ross should go next year regardless of results imo.

He needs better heads around him Eg; when he had Kirk, Simon Lloyd, Summa & Stone.

I’d look at Woosha for an assistant role and Longmuir to come over as Coach in Waiting.

Lyon, Longmuir, Woosha and Hale is a solid base.

I’m not a huge Lyon supporter these days.... BUT TODAY WAS NOT HIS FAULT.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
one of the rare few who didn't eat into the Geelong win and see it as some signal that we're an amazing team with this charlatan in charge.

keep on keepin' on.

SA I've seen you wax lyrical before about what a special time the 2013 season was for you, yet you now constantly denigrate the man who got us there. I would have thought a little gratitude to the man who provided us such memories would be the least you could do.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the fence leaning towards wanting RTB gone, but that doesn't mean I don't find posts calling him a fraud, a charlatan, and a terrible human being distasteful (all of which you have accused him of, and others to varying degrees).

It's possible to accept a coach's time may have come without launching into a full character assassination. Sadly few people seem capable of such nuance anymore. You're either the greatest thing ever or the worst.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
One of his biggest mistakes of the season was in the post Collingwood presser. He said 'we are the best 4th quarter team in the competition'.
While this was true it sent two messages. One to the players and one to the opposition.
To the players the message (IMO) was that our systems were working and that our effort was leading the competition. Again true. The effect was a mental laps where we believed that only effort was required. Apart from Geelong, I'm not sure we've won any since.
To the opposition, that Freo was playing above standard and extra effort was required, especially towards the end of the game.
Oppositions put the torch to us and added with our injuries, our young players melted.
Ross should have demanded more from the players but he gave them a mental out and the opposition a mental in. Both took the opportunity.

One thing that needs review is our post match review system. We seem to be making the same mistakes over and over.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
One of his biggest mistakes of the season was in the post Collingwood presser. He said 'we are the best 4th quarter team in the competition'.
While this was true it sent two messages. One to the players and one to the opposition.
To the players the message (IMO) was that our systems were working and that our effort was leading the competition. Again true. The effect was a mental laps where we believed that only effort was required. Apart from Geelong, I'm not sure we've won any since.
To the opposition, that Freo was playing above standard and extra effort was required, especially towards the end of the game.
Oppositions put the torch to us and added with our injuries, our young players melted.
Ross should have demanded more from the players but he gave them a mental out and the opposition a mental in. Both took the opportunity.

One thing that needs review is our post match review system. We seem to be making the same mistakes over and over.
I remember that comment and thought it was very unrosslike

Dirty_banchez

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
You didn't need a sensory deprivation tank to see how the last two minutes would unfold. Lyon can't teach skills, and I am looking forward to another pathetic Lyon conference where he deflects criticism over the skill level of the team.

It's possible to accept a coach's time may have come without launching into a full character assassination. Sadly few people seem capable of such nuance anymore. You're either the greatest thing ever or the worst.
This, seems very few on this board at the moment are capable of it. I don’t think Ross should be coaching us beyond 2020 at this point, but by no means is he as horrific as some on this board would have you believe.

freo1997

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
munster
AFL Club
Fremantle
You didn't need a sensory deprivation tank to see how the last two minutes would unfold. Lyon can't teach skills, and I am looking forward to another pathetic Lyon conference where he deflects criticism over the skill level of the team.

That loss today had zero to do with Rossy Dirty!

Players let’s us and him down

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I mean Brad hill is one of the best kicks in the team, it wasn't Ross' fault he kicked it out the full.
We don't deserve to be in finals. We're a battling team with a shitload of injuries.
Ross will have preseason and at least 10 games before he gets the chop next year

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've actually been encouraged by what he's cobbled together with the players available.
Unfortunately it only confirms one of my main criticisms of him, he doesn't change anything unless he has to, even when team dynamics are flat or dysfunctional.
Dude needs to read some chaos theory or systems theory or something.

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I mean Brad hill is one of the best kicks in the team, it wasn't Ross' fault he kicked it out the full.
We don't deserve to be in finals. We're a battling team with a s**tload of injuries.
Ross will have preseason and at least 10 games before he gets the chop next year

If we keep him and we will we can’t give him an extension after 10 games. This year is a slight improvement but we’ve had six wins at the bye the last three years. You’d want to be sure we’re making finals before he’s extended.

Going off the last few years he’d be extended if we were judging off the first ten rounds and it’d take around a month for it to look like a massive mistake.

Round 15/16 or thereabouts, no earlier for me. If that means we lose him (I’d be very surprised) then so be it.

Back