List Mgmt. 2019 Draft Mega Thread - Pickett is not eligible as F/S or NGA

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking that, we need someone like Stephens, a bit of outside run

Hopefully we have two first round picks, using our default pick on Stephens or Flanders, then matching a bid for Mead

Finn McGinness' Dad played 131 games for Hawthorn ... Mr Invisible ... can't remember him.
That's because his last name is spelt Maginness.

Scott Maginness was a tall skinny HBFer, wore #20, usually long sleeves and was the bloke who started on Gary Ablett in the 1989 GF and moved off him after he kicked his 3rd or 4th. Reckon Yabbi tried 4 blokes on Gazza that day so no real disgrace. Pretty sure he played in the 1988 flag, but didn't in the 1991. Or might be the other way round

But yeah he was just a good ordinary footballer type by the standards of the late 80's-early 90's hawks.

I watched a bit more of the championships games last week.

The more i watch Mead, the more i like him. He actually looks dangerous when he uses his pace and skills. I think he looks a bit more dour when he is trying to get to the bottom of packs and laying tackles. It's a good problem to have. When he gets the balance right he will be a player.

I'm hoping for Kemp with our first pick. He's my favourite player in the draft. I don't think the knee injury hinders his football too much...it's just the risk of further knee injuries. He is good as a genuine mid, forward and back. He just looks like a future captain. (if his knee doesn't blow up)

Stephens and Gould look like low risk defined players. Stephens is a greater need.

I'm not completely sold on Flanders.

I really like Hilder for later in the draft. He looks so composed with the ball for someone so tall and can go forward.

It will be interesting to see how we position ourselves to get the most out of the draft including Mead.

From the limited amount i saw, there aren't many made outside mids. (or tall forwards)

Theres lots of very good outside/fast/rebounding defenders, mid/forwards, small fast forwards who could play a bit in the midfield, tall defenders who are more intercepting than one on one.

Stephens looked the most complete of the outside mids but he isn't blistering with an incredible kick and can't kick on his right foot.

There were some raw fast outside mids to take a punt on late in the draft, but they lacked size or threw in some dodgy decisions or kicking.

Gold Coast are going to be so keen to get pick 1 and 2 so they can get besties Anderson and Rowell.

I'm jesrly fully caught up in where i want robe in terms of watching footage for the first time

Other draft watchers, am i crazy for only having 8 players Id want over Hately?

I'm jesrly fully caught up in where i want robe in terms of watching footage for the first time

Hately would be 4th on my list if he was in this years draft.

Who is the best outside midfielder - pace and kicking accuracy - not already covered by NGA/FS rules?

There's quite a few. Stephens, Sharp, O'Neill, Cassar, Taylor could all play that role

It’s well beyond my skill level to compare across years but I’ve been saying for a while that there won’t be a better player than Hately available at our first pick.

GWS won’t even want the pick because it will be too close to where Green will be bid on so hopefully we can rip them off in a trade for Ryder.

There's quite a few. Stephens, Sharp, O'Neill, Cassar, Taylor could all play that role

Plenty of speculative types like Bergman and Potter as well. Then there are others who could step into a wing/rebounding role like Young, Ash, Day, etc.

It’s probably where I would be focusing for Port this year. Weak draft for talls and we are booked out for slow inside mids.

From the limited amount i saw, there aren't many made outside mids. (or tall forwards)

Theres lots of very good outside/fast/rebounding defenders, mid/forwards, small fast forwards who could play a bit in the midfield, tall defenders who are more intercepting than one on one.

Stephens looked the most complete of the outside mids but he isn't blistering with an incredible kick and can't kick on his right foot.

There were some raw fast outside mids to take a punt on late in the draft, but they lacked size or threw in some dodgy decisions or kicking.

Gold Coast are going to be so keen to get pick 1 and 2 so they can get besties Anderson and Rowell.

Bigfooty does't like Sharp, but his performances at league level have been excellent since the championships. Will be interesting to see what view ultimately prevails.

Bigfooty does't like Sharp, but his performances at league level have been excellent since the championships. Will be interesting to see what view ultimately prevails.

It's interesting that Cal twomey didn't have either him or o'Neill in his 30 picks despite them being dual all australian and playing an attractive role. I am zero expert but Sharp does have the tools of speed, kicking penetration and size to be very good. He just seems to play a bit like bonner!

It's interesting that Cal twomey didn't have either him or o'Neill in his 30 picks despite them being dual all australian and playing an attractive role. I am zero expert but Sharp does have the tools of speed, kicking penetration and size to be very good. He just seems to play a bit like bonner!

That is symbolic of this draft though and this time of year. More speculative options and a greater degree of subjectivity. Twomey included some talls that may not get anywhere near the first or second round. People have Stephens anywhere from 3-18, some players like Sharpe, Cassar, Day, Bergman and O’Neill are in the top 25, others have them more around the 34-50 mark. Few in this draft have really shown the ability and consistency to nail down a spot. Still plenty of time though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was watching Darling today and thinking that Will Gould must be the most underrated player in this year’s draft. Very different types but it feels to me like the man-child discount applied to Gould is way too high. He’s a quality footballer and will still be bigger, stronger and quicker than everyone else at AFL level.

Lachie Ash is a good talent and a first round pick but I can’t reconcile how he is almost universally rate higher when they play almost the same position. I’d be quite surprised if in 15 years time Will Gould hasn’t compiled one of the best careers out of this draft class.

To the hately lover's would you have him over butter's ? I haven't seen alot of hately but isn't he an inside mid ?

To the hately lover's would you have him over butter's ? I haven't seen alot of hately but isn't he an inside mid ?
I think Butters is the better player and his type is a lot harder to find.

Hately is an inside mid but we will need to start replacing our old players on the field soon and he is ready to go now. He will fit in well with Rozee, Duurs and Butters forming our next core to build around.

It's a bit odd with Sharp. Hasn't really done much wrong the last two years. He's a good size, has good pace, is an excellent user of the ball. He's much better at draft age than Bonner was and potentially is a lot better than Bonner will be.

I can see why O'Neill would be a touch unfashionable

He's an in/out mid. I'd like both thanks. I rated Hately higher than Butters last year.

Hey Macca19 is Trent Burgoyne this years draft? Ogilvie talked him up on the AFL podcast. Is he just doing that to up his value or is Trent a legit chance to be bid on early?

Trent is this years draft. I'd say he's rookie pick material. He's been injured almost all year and I don't think he's played a game in the SANFL system all year. Hamstring issues. There is zero chance he will be bid on before pick 60.

It was definitely Trent? Jase has a lot of talent and has played some real good footy this year, but he's a couple years off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back