2nds Swans Reserves 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem with finals is the involvement of Brisbane and GWS (if they make it). As they’ll play AFL finals it means they can play their spares in the 2s and it overrides the other qualification rules.

They’ll smash us unfortunately.
Brisbane flogged us 101-34 without any qualification shenanigans

I don't think qualification rules is the issue

Brisbane flogged us 101-34 without any qualification shenanigans

I don't think qualification rules is the issue

Well it will be part of it, as they’ll have their whole list choose from...

They have had an amazing run with injuries. In that cherry picked game, specifically chosen to make us look at bad as possible (as often seems to be your way for some reason), they had 21 listed players and 2 top ups vs our 14 listed players and 9 top ups. So that game is more reflective of what a final will be like than you realised.....

They’ve hardly had any injuries all season...

Last edited:
Well it will be part of it, as they’ll have their whole list choose from...

They have had an amazing run with injuries. In that cheery picked game, specifically chosen to make us look at bad as possible (as often seems to be your way for some reason), they had 21 listed players and 2 top ups vs our 14 listed players and 9 top ups. So that game is more reflective of what a final will be like than you realised.....

They’ve hardly had any injuries all season...

In which proper, detailed analysis beats broad brush criticism every time.

No mention of my boy Hirst on afl.com’s write-up of the state leagues. How does a 4-goal game not get a mention!!!
Was a bit of a weird write up, seeming to focus more on players who had got an afl game like stoddard, even if they didn't play that great. I guess that's the media!

Geebers the Club is really trying to pump up his tyres. Anyone here think he was our best? Very good game from Hirst. On what I had seen prior to today I was confused why the Club picked him up.
Melican definitely was good at attacking the ball/contest from defence & I'm sure this is what the club has asked him to do apart from marking contests where he needs to be stronger & more disciplined.

Rose better not get a call up again this week. Leave him in the NEAFL for the rest of the year. Let him rack up 30 posse games. Might trick a club into giving up a forth for him. How's Collingwood positioned this year?
They wouldn't be interested in him unless he can prove he has a betting account & matching gambling debt Eddie can pay off for him.

Melican definitely was good at attacking the ball/contest from defence & I'm sure this is what the club has asked him to do apart from marking contests where he needs to be stronger & more disciplined.

He was certainly better than the week before but I thought both he and Pink were solid and much of a muchness.

Rose better not get a call up again this week. Leave him in the NEAFL for the rest of the year. Let him rack up 30 posse games. Might trick a club into giving up a forth for him. How's Collingwood positioned this year?

I reckon a smart club will pick him up. Last week he left his confidence in the car park and played as if he was destroyed. He has played his last game.

CmYLtYJ.png

ExKLX1C.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks grimlock and Ralphyboy for the above posts. It is odd when you watch a game and form impressions of how different players have gone. You look at how other folk address the game and then the stats.

Maybe I had prepped myself to expect a good game from Foot. Think I saw it but then I look at the stats and question my objectivity. Ditto Knoll but in reverse. I thought the old warhorse Spencer has the best of the contest but the stats suggest it was more even.

Maybe after last week I was also looking for Amartey to have a cracker. IMO he did not disappoint. He was aggressive was reasonable relieving in the ruck and around the ground. I assumed he would be in the best but was not listed the Club. In his case the stats pretty much confirmed what I had seen.

Wonder if they’ll drop Rowbottom back for the last round (Jack/McVeigh farewell - not form based).

That’ll qualify him for finals, at least an extra game for 2019 under finals (like) pressure.

Agree. Even if the NEAFL is a very ordinary comp, there is benefit for the players in having additional finals pressure. Maybe Knoll or Amartey get a go and McLean plays 2s if this gets him over the line. I must say McLean strikes me as the sort of bloke who rises to the occasion. It would not harm James' development either.

I reckon a smart club will pick him up. Last week he left his confidence in the car park and played as if he was destroyed. He has played his last game.
I'd have preferred to see Rose left in the team last game just to let him know that he's allowed to screw up as long as he has a crack. The guy has some serious talent but confidence is really lacking. If he gets over that hump he could be a great asset to us.

I'd have preferred to see Rose left in the team last game just to let him know that he's allowed to screw up as long as he has a crack. The guy has some serious talent but confidence is really lacking. If he gets over that hump he could be a great asset to us.

You are right Bungee, at least until the last sentence.

I think his tenure with us is at an end.

For whatever reason his confidence is a shot duck.

I cannot think of a current or ex Bloods player who would benefit more from a change of scenery. A number of our fellow posters have said he is a ripping young man and his team mates really seem to like him. I hope the Club helps James get a new start via a trade to another Club

Its very frustrating when you watch him in the NEAFL effortlessly do what a lot in the senior team can't do, such as pick the ball up below the knees at full speed without having to break stride and to kick goals from the boundary and outside fifty, yet not able to in the seniors. Has to be confidence. He needed more of a go.

Its very frustrating when you watch him in the NEAFL effortlessly do what a lot in the senior team can't do, such as pick the ball up below the knees at full speed without having to break stride and to kick goals from the boundary and outside fifty, yet not able to in the seniors. Has to be confidence. He needed more of a go.

Why is it frustrating? It's called being a NEAFL superstar. They look great at the lower level then can't replicate it at the highest level. We've had plenty before.

B. Jack, Robinson, Foote, Towers, Fox.

Rose is just another one. Why are we so reluctant to just call a spade a spade?

Some weirdness with this team

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Sydney Swans (3rd) v Gold Coast SUNS (8th) at Tramway Oval, 12pm
Click here for live stream

SYDNEY

B:
53. K McKellar 6. J Thurlow 43. L Melican
HB: 16. Z Foot 47. T Pink 33. R Stoddart
C: 4. R Clarke 1. J Rose 27. J McInerney
HF: 49. C Hirst 46. J Amartey 15. K Jack
F: 41. H McLean 17. D Cameron 50. S Thorne
R: 48. M Knoll 45. S Wicks 19. M Ling
Int: 51. R Barkley 54. J Barling 56. C Flanagan 57. L Parks 58. R van Huisstede
Emg: 52. N Brewer 55. B Campbell 60. H Ellem

In: 4. R Clarke 41. H McLean 51. R Barkley 17. D Cameron 15. K Jack
Out: 60. J Rayner 51. C Kilpatrick 59. J Dol 52. L Swaney (all omitted)

GOLD COAST

B:
17. C Ellis 21. J Leslie 54. L McDonald
HB: 47. S Fletcher 61. D Koenen 60. R Gilmore
C: 63. J Johnston 38. J Joyce 42. C Nutting
HF: 52. C Joyce 55. J Gore 36. J Schoenfeld
F: 48. H Oea 19. J Corbett 37. I Rankine
R: 22. T Nicholls 24. A Swallow 56. C Budarick
Int (from): 45. J Dawson 40. J Heron 33. G Horlin-Smith 31. J Murdoch 35. M Rischitelli 18. B Scheer 30. P Wright 15. A Young
Emg: 53. A Davies 50. M Selsby 62. E Semaan

In: 35. M Rischitelli 63. J Johnston 60. R Gilmore 40. J Heron 33. G Horlin-Smith 45. J Dawson 37. I Rankine
Out: 4. J Martin 60. C Portelli (both injured) 57. E Reeves 50. M. Selsby (both omitted)

Some weirdness with this team

Saturday, August 17, 2019

Sydney Swans (3rd) v Gold Coast SUNS (8th) at Tramway Oval, 12pm
Click here for live stream

SYDNEY

B:
53. K McKellar 6. J Thurlow 43. L Melican
HB: 16. Z Foot 47. T Pink 33. R Stoddart
C: 4. R Clarke 1. J Rose 27. J McInerney
HF: 49. C Hirst 46. J Amartey 15. K Jack
F: 41. H McLean 17. D Cameron 50. S Thorne
R: 48. M Knoll 45. S Wicks 19. M Ling
Int: 51. R Barkley 54. J Barling 56. C Flanagan 57. L Parks 58. R van Huisstede
Emg: 52. N Brewer 55. B Campbell 60. H Ellem

In: 4. R Clarke 41. H McLean 51. R Barkley 17. D Cameron 15. K Jack
Out: 60. J Rayner 51. C Kilpatrick 59. J Dol 52. L Swaney (all omitted)

GOLD COAST

B:
17. C Ellis 21. J Leslie 54. L McDonald
HB: 47. S Fletcher 61. D Koenen 60. R Gilmore
C: 63. J Johnston 38. J Joyce 42. C Nutting
HF: 52. C Joyce 55. J Gore 36. J Schoenfeld
F: 48. H Oea 19. J Corbett 37. I Rankine
R: 22. T Nicholls 24. A Swallow 56. C Budarick
Int (from): 45. J Dawson 40. J Heron 33. G Horlin-Smith 31. J Murdoch 35. M Rischitelli 18. B Scheer 30. P Wright 15. A Young
Emg: 53. A Davies 50. M Selsby 62. E Semaan

In: 35. M Rischitelli 63. J Johnston 60. R Gilmore 40. J Heron 33. G Horlin-Smith 45. J Dawson 37. I Rankine
Out: 4. J Martin 60. C Portelli (both injured) 57. E Reeves 50. M. Selsby (both omitted)
They’re not even trying to make the BS look real now. Jack, Clarke and McLean will play in the Firsts and all the named emergencies will play in the Reserves.

No wonder NDS boys are quiting. Play through the season and then get dumped for 17 year olds. Why any of the current 18s are thinking of playing NDS next year is totally beyond me - except for those two or three favourites of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back