Autopsy Rd 21 Blues luck dries up in the wet

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 against the Tigers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo tries his absolute guts out and I bloody love him because of that. But my word there can not have been a more mediocre 300 gamer in the history of afl. FYI I bleed navy blue. We lack a little bit of depth but geez itā€™s exciting.

This ain't it chief

Really? I didn't think he did. A 22 disposal game & only a couple of inside 50s. In his previous 4 games he had 32, 31, 28 & 30 disposals, with 8 inside 50s against the Magpies & 5 against the Giants. I thought Edwards was their best behind the ball while Prestia was their most effective midfielder.
Yep Edwards and Prestia played the conditions perfectly.

But itā€™s ok and praised when CAS does it? Is bemoaned when big H doesnā€™t smash packs? Do you think Jones doesnā€™t scrag and do some cheeky holds? Are you seriously complaining that a forward uses his leg in a marking contest to his advantage?

Cmon

Point missed.......

Letā€™s just see if 360 blows up about Reiwoldtā€™s ā€œchicken wingā€ on Liam the same way the media did on Judd?

Then weā€™ll both know the answer.

Iā€™ve tried and tried to love him, I love how he cracks in hard a few times a match, but gee whiz Kade Simpson is a shocking footballer. Please get a Jack Martin or somebody to replace him.
Oh ffs.

What freakin' board have I wandered into where people are slamming Simmo?

All in all, that was actually an OK performance. Richmond, at the G, on a roll, in the wet - a task no team in the league would relish or approach with confidence. We were far from disgraced.

Obviously they played the conditions better - they're a better team and their game works perfectly in the wet. We're still figuring ours out. Beyond quarter time we were really fully in the game, I thought, matching them in general play and on the scoreboard. Our general lack of hardened bodies made a difference, as well as the few passengers/conditional players we KNOW we're carrying. But mostly it was the decisiveness of the gameplan - Richmond are on top of theirs and 100% bought in, the Blues are still figuring out the system.

But even then, with a few less boneheaded clangers and some straighter kicking and we could have got pretty damn close.

Weitering vs Lynch for the next 5 years or so should be good.

And there is your reason for why I come across as a ā€˜negative posterā€™, because Currently our negatives outweigh our positives and so naturally my comments will be more skewed to the negative than positive.

When the team starts doing more positive things than negatives things it will mean we win more and naturally my comments will be more positively skewed as a result.

As a supporter Iā€™m basically reflecting the good and bad that the team does, donā€™t blame supporters like me for being negative when the team is losing more games than winning because they are are doing more negative things than good things.

Itā€™s simple really.
What a load of cobblers.

Some thoughts .

Richmond allowed us to play an extra man on the ball inside and conceded the ruck hitouts. They countered this by encircling our players so that we could not break out and had to quickly kick under pressure. Those chaos kicks played into Rich extra man defense to be intercepted and start their attacks from half-back directly through center leading to lightening attacks (compared to us).

They anticipated our defense and packed the right wing side to prevent our transition from defense into attack. That is why we were always stopping. The next target was always outnumbered.

It was a disaster to allow the free man in defense. Set up their offence and shut down ours.

Needed faster players to be rotated onto the ball to break out and through lines. Cunningham, Dow, Fisher.
No. They didnt do that. We kicked hurriedly without pressure. Thats the baffling thing. I can only put it down to not adjusting to the weather.

Iā€™m only half way through the replay, and itā€™s apparent that Richmond plays with a sense of entitlement that seems to influence umpiring. Sorry, but thatā€™s what Iā€™m seeing.

Take Vlaustinā€™s response to a physical tackle by Levi late in 1st Q for instance; he proceeded to shove his clenched fist into Leviā€™s neck region after pinning him to the ground in retaliation for the tackle, yet the umpire ignored it. Itā€™s like, how dare Vlaustin be subject to tackling; it canā€™t have been the force of the tackle that he found so offensive, because a similar force tackle by Levi on another Tigers player early in the 2nd wasnā€™t penalised.

Then thereā€™s Lynch, who puts both arms out demanding a free for interference during a marking contest in the 1st Q, paid of course; while similar interference during a marking contest up the other end in the same Q, involving a silent H, was ignored.

He who insists seems to receive.

Agree to a point, but this is not a Richmond thing, the good sides will mostly get the rub of the green and the good, well known players will always get the rub of the green as they are expected to win the contest. Guys like Lynch and Jack will always get a few soft kicks. I just look forward to the day when Makay, Curnow and McGov are house hold names and get a few soft kicks.

You can't blame the umpires, their administration don't suspend the marquee players when they do something wrong.

If Lang is not to be offered another contract why is he playing round 21?
Very few options to bring up from reserves Cuningham and Garlett didn't play reserves Kennedy possibly could have stayed in for Lang or possibly Owies up that's about it .
Good chance that will be Langs last game as a blue .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iā€™ve tried and tried to love him, I love how he cracks in hard a few times a match, but gee whiz Kade Simpson is a shocking footballer. Please get a Jack Martin or somebody to replace him.

Now I know your taking the P155, believing Jack Martin could replace Simmo

Agree to a point, but this is not a Richmond thing, the good sides will mostly get the rub of the green and the good, well known players will always get the rub of the green as they are expected to win the contest. Guys like Lynch and Jack will always get a few soft kicks. I just look forward to the day when Makay, Curnow and McGov are house hold names and get a few soft kicks.

You can't blame the umpires, their administration don't suspend the marquee players when they do something wrong.
The two bolded bits seem to be at odds with each other.
Surely if your right and there is favouritism, then it is totally the umpires doing.

I missed two players in my earlier post. Thought Samo and Pliwman played the conditions almost to perfection. Plowman missed a couple of kicks I hope and expect he would take back, but his positioning and contest winning were outstanding I thought.

Samoā€™s hands and ball use were probably best on field, he was incredibly clean and composed.

I thought effort was good throughout, we just weren't clean enough with the ball.

Thought the biggest difference was their small forwards; snapping goals while our guys were scrapping to create something.

Our small forwards are out of position mids and it shows.

We were never really in it, but never really out of it. Not sure you can expect much more in bottom 4 vs top 4...
100% agree Ferrisb.
Our small fwds are not in the same league as theirs.
Can help think though, we may have been a better side in the wet conditions with Kennedy & Stocker, instead of Land & Fisher.

100% agree Ferrisb.
Our small fwds are not in the same league as theirs.
Can help think though, we may have been a better side in the wet conditions with Kennedy & Stocker, instead of Land & Fisher.

Tinkering at the edges.

Wouldn't have made much of a difference, IMO.

I missed two players in my earlier post. Thought Samo and Pliwman played the conditions almost to perfection. Plowman missed a couple of kicks I hope and expect he would take back, but his positioning and contest winning were outstanding I thought.

Samoā€™s hands and ball use were probably best on field, he was incredibly clean and composed.

Yeah Samo was tremendous, his similarities to Pendles are scary

Bartel canā€™t hide his dislike of Carlton either, they would of picked Griggs due to playing both sides.
I was wondering when someone was going to make a comment about the commentators.
The most biased one sided crap I have ever heard. I had dental bone graft surgery during the week.
Those commentators almost made be burst my stitches. Bastards from hell.
When they replayed an incorrect decision when I think Fisher got cannoned into his back, and the host commentator asked Grigg & Jim the prick, wasn't that a push in the back? Nah....play on. Get Fu#*ed

Very few options to bring up from reserves Cuningham and Garlett didn't play reserves Kennedy possibly could have stayed in for Lang or possibly Owies up that's about it .
Good chance that will be Langs last game as a blue .

Can only hope so.

I was wondering when someone was going to make a comment about the commentators.
The most biased one sided crap I have ever heard. I had dental bone graft surgery during the week.
Those commentators almost made be burst my stitches. Bastards from hell.
When they replayed an incorrect decision when I think Fisher got cannoned into his back, and the host commentator asked Grigg & Jim the prick, wasn't that a push in the back? Nah....play on. Get Fu#*ed
That non free against Fisher was the worst call of a bad bunch but the thing that tore it for me was in the third when they finally give us a free (to Cripps on the wing) they refuse to pay the advantage which led to a mark inside 50!!

Still waiting for your reply....although not convinced you have any remote idea.
So if you don't rate Gibbo and Deluca as rookies, who would you have on our list instead???

That is my point Gibbons, Deluca, Lang, Fisher, Obrien looked 2 classes below the level required to hit top four. The kids may improve. Gibbons and Deluca will be fringe players at best. My point is we can't just trade in replacements, we need to draft onballers and flankers. Gibbons and Deluca were found wanting against the best and it might be time to remove the rose coloured glasses

I think the wet weather impacted Oā€™Brienā€™s game. He will be better for it. Still very young and raw, i wouldnā€™t drop him next week
The weather impacted Harryā€™s game, Langā€™s game, Lynchā€™s game....
There are no excuses for lack of effort, intensity or commitment. Get your head over the ball, go hard and be prepared to get dirty. Sheepdogging contests doesnā€™t help the team and certainly wonā€™t help you become a better player.

Back