News Footy Department Changes and News Mega Thread

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It looks like Freo will have a big clean out of assistants this year and bring in a whole new team with Ross in charge into next year.

What happens if the club does choose to make a change from Ross next year? Normally a new coach brings in a team of their own people. Are they going to have another big clean out again? And what does that mean for the soft cap?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
It looks like Freo will have a big clean out of assistants this year and bring in a whole new team with Ross in charge into next year.

What happens if the club does choose to make a change from Ross next year? Normally a new coach brings in a team of their own people. Are they going to have another big clean out again? And what does that mean for the soft cap?
S&C are under Bell, same with Recruitment.

A new coach may have an assistant or two they want to bring in, and that would be expected. I don't think the soft cap would be an issue. I also wouldn't anticipate that the club finds a replacement of the status and salary of Lyon.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Incompetence isn't the worst. The worst is negligent. Especially considering the player health is part of it.

Reviews are by nature a reactive thing, limited resources mean we don't usually check that everything is ok while everything is ok. So I would lean more to this being a reaction to internal questions. The negligence kicks in when those questions have been asked and ignored until the external storm hit.

There is also going to be a balance between requiring players attend extra sessions or scan appointments and not infringing on their time off. That's going to require consultation and compromise, and it might end up exactly where we are now.

I'd prefer we put all our players through x-rays, ultrasounds and MRI to check all their joints and soft tissues their entire body over post game, even post training - but the greatest value to that would be the PhD paper written showing the correlation between certain results and the resulting injury the next session.... but the players aren't going to enjoy losing a day every week of their day and a half off to go through it.
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Freo not yet telling it's assistants if they have a new contract for next year yet?

If we've just told them that they are under notice and may not have their contract renewed then the competent assistants get positions elsewhere then we replace them all don't we?

You don't seem to think we need to abide by the Coaching Assn regulations that say contacts expire 1st Aug and we need to renew or tell the assistants we are not renewing by then. Is that correct? And this is because we are doing some review on S&C and haven't decided yet about assistants?

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Freo not yet telling it's assistants if they have a new contract for next year yet?

If we've just told them that they are under notice and may not have their contract renewed then the competent assistants get positions elsewhere then we replace them all don't we?

You don't seem to think we need to abide by the Coaching Assn regulations that say contacts expire 1st Aug and we need to renew or tell the assistants we are not renewing by then. Is that correct? And this is because we are doing some review on S&C and haven't decided yet about assistants?
The contracts don't expire August 1st. We just have to advise those who won't be renewed by then.

So if we are going to clean out people but haven't decided who yet, then we need to tell them all they won't be renewed.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Despite what the Crumpeter says they all won’t go. Hale has another year on his contract and I’m sure 1-2 others (Anthony Rock would be my guess to stay) will get another year. That will leave space for a couple of new assistants.

I feel the biggest changes will come in Development and Conditioning teams. I understand Webber has another year so some new support staff and the development team need a little refreshing.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Despite what the Crumpeter says they all won’t go. Hale has another year on his contract and I’m sure 1-2 others (Anthony Rock would be my guess to stay) will get another year. That will leave space for a couple of new assistants.

I feel the biggest changes will come in Development and Conditioning teams. I understand Webber has another year so some new support staff and the development team need a little refreshing.
I agree, but is Rock the best choice? My problem is that we should be choosing the ones we want to stay not just re-employ those that can't get another position elsewhere.

I think if Teague doesn't get picked up by Carlton for the senior job then we should be offering him as much as we can for a senior assistant position, and not renewing RTB contract next year.

I've been critical of the soft tissue injuries to our players which I think is related to the eights programme pre season and re-injuries (or new injuries) after and during rehab. This has got to be directly the responsibility of someone in the S &C team.

However in managing our injuries during the season where we constantly are injecting them with painkilling injections even if it makes them unable to kick accurately then this has to be a club policy decision, not S&C. Successful clubs don't do that constantly as it's not in the best interests of the player and they value being able to kick accurately, if it's a foot injury.

The fractures in the lower leg especially to our talls need further investigation of training loads, footwear and surfaces which the S & C can't take full responsibility for either.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah I hope the club goes hard for Teague if he doesn’t get the blues job.
He’s shown a willingness to move west previously (wc) but more importantly he’s been in charge of some very good fwd lines most notably Adelaide 2017.

Reckon he could complement Ross well

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will Hodge automatically move into being a full time assistant at Brisbane next year? We should be throwing the kitchen sink at him imo.

The salary cap is the issue though isn’t it? Ross is on huge money, can we then afford to attract 1 or ideally 2 top quality assistants?

Cowboy Neale

Senior List
Apr 13, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will Hodge automatically move into being a full time assistant at Brisbane next year? We should be throwing the kitchen sink at him imo.

The salary cap is the issue though isn’t it? Ross is on huge money, can we then afford to attract 1 or ideally 2 top quality assistants?
I imagine Hodge would be hard to shift. He’s settled in Brisbane, they won’t win this year but could be very close next year with finals experience (unless they do a Melbourne which I doubt, Fagan is a good coach) so why would he come?

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I imagine Hodge would be hard to shift. He’s settled in Brisbane, they won’t win this year but could be very close next year with finals experience (unless they do a Melbourne which I doubt, Fagan is a good coach) so why would he come?

The only way we’d get him is if he’s thinking a top job may be in line in the immediate future which I doubt there would be at the Lions. But that’s the same for any decent assistant. At least with Hodge has less experienced than the other decent assistants so would need a year (at least) as a full time assistant before taking on a top job and we can offer that. Can the Lions? I’m not sure.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Any decent assistant from the east coast will have no problems getting work where they are. If they have families, what’s the incentive to transplant them to the other side of the country, disrupting their partner’s work, the kids’ schooling?

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
Big touts on Craig McRae who coaches the Richmond VFL side. Grand finalists 2017, Minor Premiers 2018, Minor Premiers 2019

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Unless the board thinks Ross will be here beyond next year we shouldn't over commit to too many new assistant s. The new coach, if we ever get one, might want his own people.

sumavich

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can’t see Ross lasting longer than July next year, so you are probably right! Assistants won’t change much, so we are back to groundhog day

Midnite65

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Philadelpia 76'ers
Unless the board thinks Ross will be here beyond next year we shouldn't over commit to too many new assistant s. The new coach, if we ever get one, might want his own people.
We should at least get a good senior assistant to be at least be caretaker next year if it all goes south

george2

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
It would be good to at least lure Justin Longmuir back as an assistant, that way have him in the wings if it all falls apart next year

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I want better senior/assistant coaches, but even if the coaching improves, they are on a hiding to nothing if the medical team is not addressed in a major overhaul. I am not holding my breath though, it has been clear for years this needs to be done, and nothing has happened.

They've already crafted a careful response to the Kersten situation to back the medical staff, and I doubt that they will go back on these words and open themselves up to liability/responsibility. Kersten is not the only player who could claim they have injuries that have been mismanaged badly.

I don't know but Justin probably only has an out clause in his contract to be a head coach
Eh I doubt it. For clubs, assistant contracts don’t seem to be worth the paper they are printed on. Guys move left and right for better/different opportunities

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Eh I doubt it. For clubs, assistant contracts don’t seem to be worth the paper they are printed on. Guys move left and right for better/different opportunities
Yeah. I just wasn't sure if the movement was coming from head coach and out of contract situation only. Can't imagine Richmond would be happy about losing Caracella if he is contracted

Back