Player Watch #5: Brandon Ellis - off to GC pick 39 as compo

Remove this Banner Ad

You claimed he was low impact and soft today yet he was ranked top 10 in the following areas today, including contested possessions and tackles. He was also ranked second for distance covered with 14.5km

Equal 5th for disposals
Equal 2nd for marks
Equal 3rd for tackles
9th for pressure acts
9th for metres gained
6th for clearances
Equal 3rd for I50s
Equal 2nd for R50s
Equal 5th for Intercepts
Equal 7th for contested possessions

You're kidding yourself if that is a low impact soft game, but I'd like for you to defend you position that it was
I couldn’t give s damn about those stats. He’s a liability so no matter how you pamper him up it’s not going to change my opinion. He as was said in the autopsy by others he kills momentum and doesn’t hit the contests hard enough. Good enough for me as I see what they see. The game was actually low intensity and designed for the outside turtle yet he looked lost. Also most of those stats are irrelevant to him impacting the game.
We all know the quality of his tackling and pressure acts as they’re as powerful as a fart in a board meeting.
You forgot to mention 68%de and one score involvement .
The abominable snow man had more impact and he wasn’t sighted.

I couldn’t give s damn about those stats. He’s a liability so no matter how you pamper him up it’s not going to change my opinion. He as was said in the autopsy by others he kills momentum and doesn’t hit the contests hard enough. Good enough for me as I see what they see. The game was actually low intensity and designed for the outside turtle yet he looked lost. Also most of those stats are irrelevant to him impacting the game.
We all know the quality of his tackling and pressure acts as they’re as powerful as a fart in a board meeting.
You forgot to mention 68%de and one score involvement .
The abominable snow man had more impact and he wasn’t sighted.
OK then name the Tigers you believe had a bigger impact than him then?

Bolton didn't play his best but he was part of the midfield that dominated centre clearances. An area where we have been really poor. He's very very good in those centre bounces.

I'd be happy if Ellis brought 22 disposals 7 tackles a game in every finals game far from our worse when he has a below decent game he gets bagged when he has a decent game he still gets bagged..

I'm stunned by the opposing sides opinions to be honest. I know I have said it a few times, but the truth or the reality genuinely lays between. Ellis was not as bad as being claimed, and certainly wasn't as good as being heralded. What was interesting today was that the players with the so-called x-factors were the least effective (excluding Shed) and the players with straight ahead consistent attack on the ball were the best. And still Brandon is in middle - certainly not among the best, and far from the worst.

Last edited:
I'm stunned by the opposing sides opinions to be honest. I know I have said it a few times, but the truth or the reality genuinely lays between. Ellis was not as bad as being claimed, and certainly wasn't as good as being heralded. What was interesting today was that the players with the so-called x-factors were the least effective (excluding Shed) and the players with straight ahead consistent attack on the ball were the best. And still Brandon in in middle - certainly not among the best, and far from the worst.
Agree with this - he's certainly not our best, but equally not our worst. There's a reason he's played nearly every game his entire career, including when we've actually been good.

As long as his pay reflects this I'm happy to keep him and think we should.

I'm stunned by the opposing sides opinions to be honest. I know I have said it a few times, but the truth or the reality genuinely lays between. Ellis was not as bad as being claimed, and certainly wasn't as good as being heralded. What was interesting today was that the players with the so-called x-factors were the least effective (excluding Shed) and the players with straight ahead consistent attack on the ball were the best. And still Brandon in in middle - certainly not among the best, and far from the worst.
On the autopsy thread from 188 voters he is ranked 12th currently. Astbury was ranked lower , but is a tall defender and played a serviceable game on his opponent in trying conditions for big men. Lynch and Jack were also ranked lower and like Dave ditto. Chol was also ranked lower, but again not a fair comparison bc of conditions. So the reality is he was better than about six blokes who half were kids , yet this guy has a seasoned AFL body and is on the fringe. Also of those kids you could at least see some flare and creativity at various stages in comparison. Caddy Short and Broad were disappointing of the more senior guys. Keeps his spot based on those three names poor performances, but he would be on notice.

Last edited:
Someone has to cop it I guess. Not that I agree with it. Let's be honest, sports fans aren't the biggest proponents of thinking for themselves and once a name gets mentioned it just gets repeated ad nauseam. He is no Martin but he is no Lennon either. When a team is going as well as we have been the past few years, and we have a full team of contributors then the classic whipping boys are going to cop it even more. I just feel if the reality actually reflected the views on this website then he wouldn't have played as long as he has, as often as he has. I think everyone needs to ease up a little. I'm all for improving weak links, but our "weak link" is nowhere as weak as people think.

I'd take our match day bottom six over that of any other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol Brando haters clutching at straws. The comment about Cripps getting 37 touches. Yeah like Brando was tagging him. Brando is in our best 22 deal with it
True what that Cripps comment had to do with Brando was nothing but a good old 'deflection' in answering the question...Brando's tackle on Cripps!
Watched him yesterday, in the wet, I thought he was servicable and when he had the ball on the wing at times he had no one up forward offering options...which is a momentum killer but not soley of Ellis's making...

Last edited:
True what that Cripps comment had to do with Brando was nothing but a good old 'deflection' in answering the question...Brando's tackle on Cripps!
Watched him yesterday, in the wet, I thought he was servicable and when he had the ball on the wing at times he had no one up forward offering options...which is a momentum killer but not soley of Ellis's making...
It's strange how when Vlastuin Broad Grimes Houli Short Astbury Cotchin Prestia and others stop and prop in our back half then go short and sideways they aren't momentum killers but when Ellis does he is.

He’s a 15 km hard runner type that can still compete with the fresher legs that he comes across during a game . He’s a bit of a energiser bunny type. It takes awhile to get to the point of gut running and still executing all the footy skills.
He’s handy.
I’m guessing it’s him or Macintosh for the spot. How is Macca ? Or has that plane flown .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's strange how when Vlastuin Broad Grimes Houli Short Astbury Cotchin Prestia and others stop and prop in our back half then go short and sideways they aren't momentum killers but when Ellis does he is.

Probably bc they don’t do it anywhere near the amount of times Ellis does. Fwiw remember when Cotchins game for a 3 year period involved stat padding and little dumb dinky kicks? He got flayed by our own supporters, now he gets less possessions but his impact is immense. Supporters know what they see, Ellis’s numbers read well but he’s not damaging why is this so hard to accept?

Like the old chestnut “but but dusty makes lots of errors and no one dares criticise him”
think about why.

Last edited:
Probably bc they don’t it anywhere near the amount of times Ellis does. Fwiw remember when Cotchins game for a 3 year period involved stat padding and little dumb dinky kicks? He got flayed by our own supporters, now he gets less possessions but his impact is immense. Supporters know what they see, Ellis’s numbers read well but he’s not damaging why is this so hard to accept?

Like the old chestnut “but but dusty makes lots of errors and no one dares criticise him”
think about why.
Good post. Cotchin and Delidio both copped it for the little dinky 1 - 2's and sideways stuff. Edwards copped it for years. We don't just save it for Ellis.
Thought he was okay yesterday. He can tackle, always could. He has a good size body to do it and laid some decent tackles yesterday. Carlton had absolutely nothing on the wings yesterday. Young O'Brien and Fisher were hardly sighted, and rarely are, which made his job easier and his job hard to judge.

Reckon is getting to late to experiment with his wing. MacIntosh may come back, but doubt Ellis is going anywhere due to not wanting to upset the apple cart and nobody with anywhere near his experience (except MacIntosh). Has had a solid season so it would be very harsh and perhaps imprudent to drop him now. But next year.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back