Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

I know hes a gun, but it is a bit boring seeing us constantly take defensive lineman. I'm pretty sure this guy is another interior D player too, we still lack that outside rusher.

They must take an O-lineman too. We need a decent upgrade there or it wont matter that we have Darnold and Bell, a RB looks a hell of a lot better when he has holes to run into.

I know hes a gun, but it is a bit boring seeing us constantly take defensive lineman. I'm pretty sure this guy is another interior D player too, we still lack that outside rusher.

They must take an O-lineman too. We need a decent upgrade there or it wont matter that we have Darnold and Bell, a RB looks a hell of a lot better when he has holes to run into.

Our O-Line is Swiss cheese, if they don't address this plus a Centre it will confirm for me they have NFI

I dont know enough about the players but the forum consensus on some American sites is that we got the best player at 3 in Williams, Polite is a decent rusher that was rated higher before injury, getting at OT was addressing a need but there are some big criticisms on our later picks.

Weird timing

It is and it isn't. It seems weird because most firings happen on Black Monday. But for GMs and front office staff, their real off-season is once the draft is over and the UDFAs have been signed, so this is the best time for the firing to happen because the new GM will have a few months to build up his scouting resources and to make assessments on the squad before cut-down day.

Charley Casserly not a supporter of Peyton Manning to the Jets
Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2019, 11:31 AM EDT

The bizarre bashing of Kyler Murray‘s lack of preparation for Combine interviews, coupled with the eventual revelation that former NFL G.M. Charley Casserly gets paid to prepare players for Combine interviews, has placed Casserly generally on the unofficial PFT pay-no-mind list. But he recently said some things about the Jets G.M. job that merit presentation and discussion, because Casserly served as a consultant in 2015, when the Jets hired Casserly friend/protégé Mike Maccagnan.
In an interview with Matt Stypulkoski of NJ.com, Casserly tried his best to talk up the work of the guy Casserly was paid to recommend to ownership, pointing out how bad the roster was in 2015 and how much better it is now. (It’s abundantly clear that Casserly isn’t a Geno Smith guy — apparently, like Murray, Smith also isn’t a former Casserly client.)
If Casserly is hired again by the Jets to consult in the G.M. search (i.e., pick the next G.M. from his roster of friends and former colleagues), Casserly apparently won’t be recommending Peyton Manning.
In response to the inquiry of what he thinks of the idea of Manning as G.M. of the Jets, Casserly said, “My feeling is there’s plenty of qualified candidates out there that are working with clubs.”
“And he would not be one of them?” Casserly was asked.
“That’s my quote,” Casserly replied.
Casserly overlooks the reality that this isn’t a hire that can be made in a vacuum. A clean-slate G.M. would arrive with a list in his front pocket of the names of coaches he’d like to hire, when the first opportunity to hire a coach arises. And that would lead to even more dysfunction as G.M. and coach struggle for power.
On the other hand, a hand-picked Gase G.M. could be excessively beholden to the coach, deferring to him on matters of personnel even if the G.M. arrives with contractual final say.
Manning could be the perfect compromise, a friend of Gase’s who has worked well with him in the past and, presumably, would work well with him in the future. Gase has displayed during his short time as a coach a degree of intensity and irritation that not everyone can handle. Manning can handle it, because Manning is likely one of the few who could channel Gase’s burning desire to win in the right direction.
Also, let’s not overlook the basic reality that people tend to have different approaches when interacting with others. And Gase presumably exhibits to Manning a degree of deference that Gase may not grant to many others.
That makes it an ideal arrangement, if the Jets can pull it off. So take the advice from this unpaid consultant (the Jets are getting their money’s worth), spend the money to get Peyton Manning, if he’s truly ready to make the plunge back into football.

Adam Gase: I didn’t win power struggle with Mike Maccagnan
Posted by Josh Alper on May 20, 2019, 3:49 PM EDT

The Jets made head coach Adam Gase their interim General Manager when they fired Mike Maccagnan last week and many viewed Gase as the winner of a power struggle.
That view was fueled by reports of dissension between the two men in recent weeks. Both men denied there was a problem between them before the move was made and CEO Christopher Johnson maintained that the firing had “nothing to do” with Gase, but the impression still lingered.
It was Gase’s turn to answer questions on Monday and he said he disagrees with framing Maccagnan’s departure as the final chapter in a power struggle. Gase added that “s–t like this” happens all the time in football he was surprised when Johnson told him about the change and that he won’t be taking on more control of football operations as a result of the move.
“Whoever is getting hired [as the new G.M.] is going to have the same role — control of the roster,” Gase said, via NJ.com. “I will coach the football team. That’s what I’m going to do. Nothing is changing in that structure.”
While the role may be the same, the dynamic with Gase is going to be a very different one by virtue of the timing of the move. That may prove to be a good thing for the Jets, but it will be some time before any conclusions will be reached on that front

Jets hired Joe Douglas as general manager.

Douglas was the favorite to replace Mike Maccagnan all along, but the Texans firing of GM Brian Gaine forced the Jets to speed things up. He beat out Seahawks co-director of player personnel Scott Fitterer, Saints director of pro scouting Terry Fontenot and Chicago's assistant director of personnel Champ Kelly for the job. In New York, Douglas will be tasked improving the Jets' pass rush and finding a playmaking receiver to pair with Sam Darnold. With the Jets' post-draft firing of Maccagnan, Douglas will have to wait until next offseason to bring in his guys.

Jun 7, 2019, 11:16 PM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ESPN analyst Todd McShay is under consideration for a front office job with the Jets.

Although McShay has no experience working in an NFL front office, he previously spent two years with new Jets General Manager Joe Douglas as teammates at the University of Richmond. It's currently unclear exactly what role McShay is being considered for, but it likely falls under the player evaluation umbrella. The current ESPN analyst would follow the recent footsteps of Mike Mayock as a television personality who jumped ship to the league when the opportunity arose.

Source: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Jun 8, 2019, 2:29 PM ET

We look to have had a good pre-season.
What are peoples expectations for this year?
Can we push for a playoffs spot?

I'm actually quite pumped for the upcoming season. We seem to have had some good recruits and to see how Darnold will go in year 2. Having Bell as a running and receiving should add another dimension and provide more flexibility for Darnold and uncertainty in opposition defences.

The only thing I'm still concerned about is our O-line but overall I think we have enough to break our playoff drought (for the first time since I cemented my support for the team when we won the divisional round playoff game in New England).

Defence looks solid.
I like the aditions to the offence recently as well.
Has anyone been watching the One Jets Drive series on the youtube chanel?

Lack of corner backs will really hurt. There's little depth behind Tru Johnson and he's got a lot to prove. Gregg Williams has going to have to earn his money trying to configure the defence to cover the weakness in the secondary and also the lack of outside pass rush.

Darnold is going to have to seize control and lead the Jets through offence.

Lack of corner backs will really hurt. There's little depth behind Tru Johnson and he's got a lot to prove. Gregg Williams has going to have to earn his money trying to configure the defence to cover the weakness in the secondary and also the lack of outside pass rush.

Darnold is going to have to seize control and lead the Jets through offence.
We have to hope our D-line and safeties can beast it and get to the QB consistently to cover this. That, and score points with some of the weapons we have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back