Selector's Table, Round 22 Vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Gowers should never play an AFL game for us again. He's not AFL level
He barely looked vfl level on the weekend.
Hes too hot and cold and i honestly believe he arses alot of his good plays.
Also please dont get me started on his goal kicking, I'll do a terry wallace and spew up 😷

AFL already did the review of Friday nights game with no charges laid so Mummy is available.
Good.
English will run him ragged around the ground. I'll cop losing the hit-out tally if English gets to play link-man in our plays. Mumford is cooked.

If you want a change after watching that performance - I am quite literally lost for words.
Even Hayes looked like a good AFL player on the weekend. That chain where he handballed, provided a block, than ran his arse off to get on the end of a chain of handballs and kick a goal was beauty.

If you want a change after watching that performance - I am quite literally lost for words.

I tend to agree that you don't change a winning side but i don't think it is that cut and dried. For arguments sake take Zaine Cordy. I have been pulling my hair out all season (and before) at his ability to lose one on one contests. On Saturday night he was reportedly good. So do we ignore the past 10 weeks and keep him in? I have concerns long term about our two KPD's of Cordy and Trengove. I am not sure how they would go in a final against the better KPFs and would like us to develop another KPD. Hello Lewis Young. (imo). So i think there can at least be a conversation about wanting a change.

I tend to agree that you don't change a winning side but i don't think it is that cut and dried. For arguments sake take Zaine Cordy. I have been pulling my hair out all season (and before) at his ability to lose one on one contests. On Saturday night he was reportedly good. So do we ignore the past 10 weeks and keep him in? I have concerns long term about our two KPD's of Cordy and Trengove. I am not sure how they would go in a final against the better KPFs and would like us to develop another KPD. Hello Lewis Young. (imo). So i think there can at least be a conversation about wanting a change.

When your teammates are pulling their weight up field it always makes a defenders job easier. That was the case on sat night, Cordy, Trenners and co had a field day because Essendons entries and link up were rushed and we had time to set up better and get extras to marking contests due to the pressure around the contest up field.
Don’t want to take too much away from their games, but for me, our defenders are given a huge advantage when others apply pressure and don’t cough up s**t turnovers.
So for me, our back 6/7 are capable for remaining rounds and possibly finals if given a chance and a leg up from teammates.

No Change, no reason too.

Libba will be lucky to return this year due to a dinky near slowing him down even further (not much pace to start with). West is giving him competition too.

As for Daniel its so clear for most watches that the defence trail needs to stop. Forget looking at stats, he is a smart footballer and will always get plenty of the ball yet the problem with Daniel in defence is 4 fold.
Can be caught out deep in a 1 on 1
Kicking pentatration
Going for too many risky short passes, which result in turnovers and goals.
Prefer to stop and prop and slow it down.

The final point is the exact opposite to how will play our best footy.

There is a spot in the side for him buts if not defence. Wing / high half forward.

Gowers should never play an AFL game for us again. He's not AFL level

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet. Don't forget he was our leading goalkicker last year and didn't have a great pre-season.

He's in the twos and needs to mature mentally, but I think he could make it back in the side next year.

I'm confident of a win. I rate our midfield up there with the best and we should overun them in that department on the weekend. If we can put our chances away we should get up.

And going by those posters, Daniel is the only player not going at 100% disposal efficiency.
We conceded low scores when he was not playing in games the last three he missed, stop trying to
re-invent the wheel. Against St Kilda we scored 89 with Caleb, but they scored over 100.

Observation is not criticism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We conceded low scores when he was not playing in games the last three he missed, stop trying to
re-invent the wheel. Against St Kilda we scored 89 with Caleb, but they scored over 100.

I think we look better this year when he isn’t playing in the backline. If he plays, they need to move him imo

Richards has been average this year but his pressure has been good since he has come back from the 2s and he has pace to burn

weeeeelll. a quick look at the herald sun over breakie and his 21 pressure acts vs the dons was a team low or there abouts. Think its fair to say he has all the tools but is struggling to put it together just at the moment.

if we are basically giving up on finals, Id play richards. if not, bringing in Daniel (if fit) and rhylee west (29 possessions and 4 goals) isnt the worst idea.

Not sure what you’re getting at. You’re not pinning our form spike on the fact Daniel hasn’t played are you ? Surely you’re not that ignorant Yojimbo ?
We held Richmond to 52 early season with Daniel turning over 20% of his disposals. We also conceded 133 to WC with Daniel being our best player having 95% disp efficiency from 37 touches. There’s just no correlation if you actually understand the game and understand what’s been holding us back in many games this year.

I’m not critical of people’s observations, but as an example, if you were calling for Dickson to be moved from the fwd line due to his poor kicking for goal all because you’ve observed him kick a few behinds, then I’ll be critical. That’s how it reads with all these Daniel posts regarding how bad he is for our backline. It really is head scratching stuff.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 2.46.35 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 2.46.35 pm.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 2.44.04 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 2.44.04 pm.png
    34 KB · Views: 43
Surely you’re not that ignorant Yojimbo ?
No I am not Charlie Bucket, but give me normal sized blokes in defence that are capable with ball in hand
every day of the week. Two designated kickers is two too many, just recruit defenders that can kick and
are not super safe with their disposal. I like to think What are we telling the opposition ? the more even
the spread the least able to defend you are, multiple avenues of attack. Remember 2016.

No I am not Charlie Bucket, but give me normal sized blokes in defence that are capable with ball in hand
every day of the week. Two designated kickers is two too many, just recruit defenders that can kick and
are not super safe with their disposal. I like to think What are we telling the opposition ? the more even
the spread the least able to defend you are, multiple avenues of attack. Remember 2016.

Daniel may not be normal size but he’s more capable with ball in hand than any player we have back from centre.
I’m still not 100% sure what you mean with the rest of your comment though. Break it down for me, my weekend beers may still be fogging up the head space.

Daniel may not be normal size but he’s more capable with ball in hand than any player we have back from centre.
I’m still not 100% sure what you mean with the rest of your comment though. Break it down for me, my weekend beers may still be fogging up the head space.
Why was Daniel moved to half back ? If you answer the question honestly you will know my position.
What happened when we moved Matthew Boyd Back ? In case additional information is required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back