Preview Rd 22 - Carlton v St Kilda Sat 17th Aug 1.45pm @ MCG - Team Post #237

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he turned the corner last week, but O’Brien put in one of the worst performances of the year. Was really content to let his man have the best of him. Worrying.

Fisher and Lang the other obvious outs. Not sure who comes in tho.

Awesome preview BlueGum....puts me to shame with my lame effort last week :'(
Seems I couldn't even get the logos to display proper. Yours was fab. Steal ideas from all the good ones. :p

Carlton V St Kilda

Saturday 17 August 2019 @ 1.45pm

MCG

Head to Head:

Played 220 – Carlton 162 wins, St Kilda 56 wins, 2 draws

Last Time They Met: Round 10 win to the Saints 9.14 (68) to 8.7 (55) Cripps and Walsh were good (again) but not enough contributions from the rest of the team.

Last Round:

Carlton def by Richmond by 28 at the G

St Kilda def Fremantle by 3 at Docklands

Sadly the season is coming to an end. Each game under Teague has showed us something different about the team's potential whether it be;
  • great games by individuals - Crippa, Setters, Jones, Weiters
  • new roles for players - SPS, Jack
  • team effort - forward pressure, linking up efforts along the wing, tackling, shepherding
  • not dropping our heads when behind - eg Melbourne game
  • four quarters - esp. against Crows, grinding work against Freo
Saints have had our measure for a long while, so I'm looking forward to seeing our improvement in handling their usual advantages - mature bodies, tall and crumbing forwards and strong mids. And to see what we have learnt from the last two games against well drilled finals contenders.

Key Players

Carlton

Won't be about the individuals if we are going to get across the line, it'll be how we play together and execute some key roles. And delivering with some composure going into the forward line. We seem to have reverted to blind hacks forward over the last couple of weeks against Eagles and Tigers.

Backs have taken a bit of a hit with injury again this year, but are starting to gel with new personnel.
Weiters and Jones are working well together and are marking and spoiling like old pros.
Samo looking the goods in traffic at HBF, Newman can be a real attacking option when we press forward. Plow taking on difficult jobs every week. Daisy and Simmo showing old time smarts and effort required.

The backs look good when the mids are winning the clearances and running defensively.

Cripps and Walsh are clearly our best, and are more effective with the mature support of Kreuz,Ed and Murph.

Forwards have also lacked a bit of continuity but look at their best when applying forward pressure - led by Jack. Deluca applying great pressure and allowing Gibbo to go higher up the ground. . Cas the best of our big guys. Harry and Brackets could be a handful for the Saints backline if they keep presenting and contesting.

Fish chipping in, though not in great nick. We need more from him, LOB and Setters.

Under Teague
Round 12LionsMarvel Stadium
Win 78-63
15​
P. Cripps 38P. Cripps 4
Round 13BulldogsMarvel Stadium
Loss 100-103
3​
W. Setterfield 24C. Curnow 7
Round 15DockersOptus Stadium
Win 79-75
4​
M. Murphy 34M. Kennedy 2
Round 16DemonsMCG
Loss 100-105
5​
N. Newman 26L. Casboult 3
J. Silvagni 3
W. Setterfield 3
Round 17SwansSCG
Win 69-62
7​
N. Newman 32L. Casboult 2
Round 18SunsMarvel Stadium
Win 99-75
24​
E. Curnow 32M. Kennedy 4
Round 19CrowsMCG
Win 87-60
27​
P. Cripps 39L. Casboult 3
Round 20EaglesMarvel Stadium
Loss 75-99
24​
S. Walsh 31N. Newman 4
Round 21TigersMCG
Loss 45-73
28​
P. Cripps 37M. McGovern 2

St Kilda
  • Tim Membrey and Josh Bruce – one or both have been known to kick a few against us.
  • Jack Billings – shows his talent against us too often. Would be great to limit his opportunities this week.
  • Shane Savage – Continues to rack up the possessions and run.
  • Jack Steele, Jack Stevens, Seb Ross & Luke Dunstan - Ed will need to go to the most damaging.
St Kilda have looked more dynamic under Rattan (as they often call him on the Saints board. They are into their wicker chairs over there). But when they play badly - they long bomb, have a lot of disposal errors and seem a bit flat footed. Sounds familiar to Carlton in our bad games/quarters.

Under Ratten
Round 18BulldogsMarvel Stadium
Win 116-89
27​
J. Billings 27T. Membrey 4
J. Lonie 4
Round 19DemonsMarvel Stadium
Win 104-85
19​
S. Ross 31
J. Gresham 31
J. Bruce 4
Round 20CrowsAdelaide Oval
Loss 70-92
22​
J. Billings 26
J. Steele 26
H. Clark 26
T. Membrey 3
Round 21DockersMarvel Stadium
Win 72-69
3​
S. Ross 28J. Steven 3

Who Will Win & Why
Thinking we'll reverse the results from Round 10 and will win by 13 points. Both sides are prone to skill errors under pressure and revert to quick disposals. I'm backing Teague to really focus on the team on getting back to playing the game like we did against the Crows. Lowering the eyes and making more of our entries into the forward line. Creating more run and support for each other to attack.

Plus, we are due. Go Blues.

Great preview BG

We will beat the Saints

Demons will beat the Swans

We will move one spot higher

Crows will drop two spots

Great preview BG

We will beat the Saints

Demons will beat the Swans

We will move one spot higher

Crows will drop two spots
Music to my eyes

Lang, Fisher and O'Brien would all be dropped this week if we had a decent list. They aren't up to the physicality of playing AFL footy at this stage and that keeps getting exposed week in week out. Good teams expose you and having played a few we have been exposed in a few areas.

Stocker, Dow, Kennedy and Cottrell would be likely discussions as ins.

Saint's aren't much of a side but they are riding the new coach effect at the moment like we are and are up and about playing decent footy. If it's looking like being wet I would be inclined to leave Fisher, O'Brien and Lang out for some players who will play harder more physical football. TBH I'd leave them out anyway, we need to make a statement in regards to where our standards are. It's good player development. Can't keep playing kids who aren't putting in physically and aren't playing well because we rate them and know they can play good footy. That's just setting really poor standards and allowing conditional football to creep in.

Very winnable game but boy are we going to have to play well and play hard to do it. Saints are a hungry side having go and winning games at the moment.

B: Plowman Jones Simpson
HB: Cottrell Weitering Newman
C: Setterfield Cripps Walsh
HF: Gibbons McKay Silvagni
F: Thomas Casboult McGovern
OB: Kreuzer Curnow Murphy
IC: SPS Stocker Kennedy Deluca
EM: Dow TDK Goddard O'Brien

OUT:
Lang - Just not that good. Played some ok games but he's just not great.

Fisher - Really needs a wake up call because the soft crap he's serving up is not good enough and not where we have our expectations. It's been a long run of substandard footy from Fisher and we need to make a statement. What we all know he is capable of and what he is producing are miles apart. Would be good for his development to get a reality check.

O'Brien - Form is really all over the place. 8 touches, 1 tackle, doesn't matter if he's doing a job, that must read better. Again, another who's not ready and not up to standards for AFL footy and he needs to know what our standards are.

IN:
Kennedy - unlucky to be dropped last week, needs to make more impact as a mid and it's hard to fit slow players in the side but at least he competes physically. I'd play him 50/50 forward and midfield. Will be useful if it's wet.

Cottrell - Time to give him a tast of AFL footy after a good run of form. Could select him to play defence and free Thomas up to play forward which IMO could be a bit of a winning move.

Stocker - He can play and I would play him as a forward who pinch hits in other positions. Reckon he might be a bit dangerous with his pace and kicking. I think we all believe he is a part of our future. Would like to see him play as a forward at AFL level to see what he can offer.

CFC need to take the 4 points in this encounter...a couple minor changes.Lets perhaps hope Dow is good to go etc..

Saints have loved to hunt us when we were weak,this time they should be in for a nasty surprise of sustained CFC pressure,defense,attack and clearance efficiency domination...

CFC need to lift efficiency this week,,and out work the saints,the 4 points are there we just got to make sure.

It’s a tough one because it would be nice to give all of Fisher, LOB and Lang a rest but there goes pretty much all our speed and run.
For me Lang out for Dow or Kennedy and that’s it. If they want to send some
Sort of message to Fisher or LOB and drop them then I’m fine with that but I’m not really sure who we should bring in.

I think the wet weather impacted O’Brien’s game. He wasn’t used to it and probably didn’t get to the right spots. I’d keep him in, marvel under the roof he will thrive
It’s MCG gill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm on 110% on the Teague train.

But just playing devils avocado... if we drop this one then lose to Geelong by 5 odd goals what does it do to Teagues chances?
I think he passed win/loss expectations tbh, i reckon the board were hoping he would win a game or two while they searched for their next coach, probably completely threw them off guard when he kept winning and has won how many now? 4? 5? Winning this week gets him the job i think, if he hasn't got it already.

But just playing devils avocado... if we drop this one then lose to Geelong by 5 odd goals what does it do to Teagues chances?

Think he's still got it no matter what. To basically half the win/loss column after the disaster of the first part of the season is a major positive.

I see, I’d still keep him in for rest of the year. One off day
I think the only reason LOB should be considered for being dropped is if the club think it’ll sting and drive him over the offseason to improve on some of his weaknesses. Having talents like LOB, Dow and Stocker not best 22 in round 23 would be brilliant coming into the pre season where they know we can bring back/in 5 best 22 players and they have to actually improve and earn their spot. It’s that type of competition that could drive great improvement and build an incredible culture. Though I am saying this without really knowing these kids personality types.

Obrien stays in, sure was poor last week but his body of work over the last 6 weeks has been solid enough to keep him, plus we need his run when he is up and about.

Fisher - dropped, unlike Obrien, fisher hasn't had a good block of form all season, getting a game on what he can do and not what he has done. Give him the kick up the ass he should have got earlier in the season (we finally did it with Dow, do it with Fisher)

Lang - Pack his bags and send him on his way

Ins - Kennedy and Dow

I dont think the results would be a factor. How we play would be.
The panel can see just as we can that clearly we can't get our best side out there.
And still its a list and fitness/experience work in progress.
Clearly there was no preparation for Teague.
Just thrown in at the deep end. Sink or swim with expectation of down the gurgler.

I think he can swim real good. Olympic standard.
It's made waves in the boardroom.

It wont hurt his chances but it would lessen the outcry if they go with someone else. Could you imagine the difference if we win the last 2 and they choose someone else as coach or if we lose the last 4 games and choose someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back