Not open for further replies.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
No, obviously its within the context of GWS success and his all around game, Lyon would have to replicate that in a team that other teams bother putting time into beating to see if it isn’t an anomaly. Though he is a way better player than people give credit to including your coach and had he been developed right I could see him as Joel Selwood lite.

He is an excellent ball winner - everyone can see that. His kicking can let him down but his main knock and the reason he got dropped by the coach is poor defensive running.

Given you can make a better assessment of his performance than our coach you must have been at the ground to acknowledge this part of the game aswell? You can’t really analyse defensive running on tv.

I’d argue in the 2 seasons he’s been at our club he has been developed quite well.
In the 5 years he played for Adelaide I remember him as a forward flanker and was often used as the sub. Looking at his stats he played more mid in his final year at Adelaide averaging 21 possessions a game - first time over 18 for a season. Although I don’t suggest to know in detail how good he was as I probably only watched 3-4 Adelaide games on tv each year. And we got him for a ?fourth round pick if I remember correctly so obviously wasn’t rated particularly high by Adelaide.

With us he has become a full time mid averaging 24 disposals high in the clearance standings as mentioned but some aspects of his game to work on. No doubt he would be worth more than a forth rd pick now.

I agree with you that he has many positive attributes. I disagree that you know better than our coach.

Anyway my opinion on the Shiel trade... think it was probably fair value. Will add another dimension to your team. Will be interesting to watch how he goes next year. Ball in hand I didn’t think he was very damaging this year compared with previous seasons.

Good luck.

Andypooh23

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Wizards
What happened to Essendons first pick in 1999?

I've looked on Wikipedia and it looks to have magically gone to the Kangas which they used to trade for Leigh Colbert.

Does anyone remember what happened?

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Dodoro is a strange drafter.

The picks he makes are generally good players and so the pick itself appears to be good.

However he never picks for need so our team is perpetually out of shape.
Similar to sos, to busy trying to win individual deals and misses the big picture

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Dodoro is a strange drafter.

The picks he makes are generally good players and so the pick itself appears to be good.

However he never picks for need so our team is perpetually out of shape.
Very true
Seems stuck in the mode of best available each draft vs drafting for needs.

Trading of late seems to have been the same. Aim for the best available (I.e likes of Ablett, lynch etc weren't really available to anyone else), but went for shiel, stringer, Smith and saad to add to our quality.

We still lack a ruck to compete in the modern game and a tall forward to compliment daniher when he's in and step to the fore when he's not.

All in all though we have a good, but underperforming, list.

We could do with some investment on the coaching and development side of things

He tends to go best available in the first round/first couple of picks and then needs based after that (unless the only guy left that suits a need is rubbish then I guess we wait a year).

We still lack a ruck to compete in the modern game and a tall forward to compliment daniher when he's in and step to the fore when he's not.
At this stage we more need a fit Daniher to compliment McKernan 😂 if we could keep our best forward line.. or second/third best forward line on the park we’d be sweet.

We also had like 5 rucks on the list after the draft last year. Lavender got injured yet again and retired in January and then Draper (who is considered a pretty good up and comer) unfortunately did his ACL and has 12 months of rehab to look forward to, while McKernan plays forward with the injuries there. Leaves us with Bellchambers and Clarke which is less than ideal. Good thing we started with 5 or we wouldn’t have any left by now. It’s not like great rucks grow on trees though, half the teams in the league are crying out for one.

charcoalchicken question has already been pondered. How he has a job is baffling you say, I wonder how and why they promoted him not long ago.

Another year nearly done and another Dodoro campaign that bears no fruit

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
charcoalchicken question has already been pondered. How he has a job is baffling you say, I wonder how and why they promoted him not long ago.

Another year nearly done and another Dodoro campaign that bears no fruit

Because our inept board don't care about on field results only care about memberships and making money

Have a look at our strategic plan for 2017-2021 not one point on that list mentions winning a flag and finals.

Because our inept board don't care about on field results only care about memberships and making money

Have a look at our strategic plan for 2017-2021 not one point on that list mentions winning a flag and finals.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
After the weekend, watching Jack Graham lay 14 tackles and Willie Rioli light it up around Optus, and we have Mutch and Begley not doing much from earlier picks....is it development or ability to pick.

Rioli was touted as a highly skilled chip off the Rioli name.
Graham won the Larke medal as an inside mid.

Revisionist drafting is all well and good, but i can't recall the last time we really nailed a draft.
2013? And it took Bomber and Bassett to push us in the right direction.

After the weekend, watching Jack Graham lay 14 tackles and Willie Rioli light it up around Optus, and we have Mutch and Begley not doing much from earlier picks....is it development or ability to pick.

Revisionist drafting is all well and good, but i can't recall the last time we really nailed a draft.
At a guess you have done better from picks in the 20s than in the first round - ZMerrett, Carlisle was an inspired choice.

You just have to find a ball winning mid from somewhere.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Graham had a great game on the weekend but has had an indifferent year, I’d back Begley in to be better than him in the long run. If it wasn’t for the acl I’d say Begley would be playing much better footy than graham atm

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Graham had a great game on the weekend but has had an indifferent year, I’d back Begley in to be better than him in the long run. If it wasn’t for the acl I’d say Begley would be playing much better footy than graham atm

Damn really? Begley has been pretty poor. But we are that bad it's hard to tell.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Damn really? Begley has been pretty poor. But we are that bad it's hard to tell.
Yeah but I don’t think the midfield is his best position, probably not what u need but his best spot is probably a 3rd tall forward/defender. He hasnt shown it yet, but he’s got a great set of hands and is actually a great pack mark. Also his skills are very good, it’ll just take some time and games at the top level for him to flourish. I’ve had abit to do with him so I’m probably abit biased, but he has huge potential. Just gotta look back to his first couple of games where he looked more than capable straight off the bat. Just hope the knee hasn’t robbed him of his power and athleticism

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Like so many clubs (Like Carlton for years pre the SOS era), its hard to tell whether Essendon's list problems over the past decade come from poor recruiting or development (or a combination of both)

Dodoro also seems to have a liking of drafting too many similar type players IE Flankers and Meat and Potato type midfielders.

Ironically, I think AD would actually do a decent job to help rebuild Gold Coast's list.

And Essendon could do with a fresh recruiting guru as well.

But great recruiters are as rare as Hen's Teeth these days, with 18 clubs and less available standout talent to go around like there once was.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
At a guess you have done better from picks in the 20s than in the first round - ZMerrett, Carlisle was an inspired choice.

You just have to find a ball winning mid from somewhere.
Ball winning is the key. We need first use
Stringer gives us that but doesnt play full time mid.

Dont necessarily need to be big bodied, but we need a ball winner.
Brad crouch is where im leaning at the moment.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Like so many clubs (Like Carlton for years pre the SOS era), its hard to tell whether Essendon's list problems over the past decade come from poor recruiting or development (or a combination of both)

Dodoro also seems to have a liking of drafting too many similar type players IE Flankers and Meat and Potato type midfielders.

Ironically, I think AD would actually do a decent job to help rebuild Gold Coast's list.

And Essendon could do with a fresh recruiting guru as well.

But great recruiters are as rare as Hen's Teeth these days, with 18 clubs and less available standout talent to go around like there once was.
Been passable.
And being a board member id keep him on to manage the list and the contracts
Hell, even trade week.
But id happily take recruiting/drafting off him for someone with a fresh view.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Still a speculative for me
Could be an Oliver type just as easily as he could be a bust.
Too early to tell or gamble on not drafting to build depth.
If he was drafted as a mid, graham was a better prospect at the time. But after some good choices in McGrath and ridley earlier, i fancy he was trying for a gamble at that point
Hope it pays off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back