Analysis What does Freo have to change to win a Premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically we have to reach a stage where at least 6 or 7 of those that played yesterday are playing at Peel. Every team has a certain number of A graders and then a lot of B graders, it is the quality of the bottom 7 or 8 that make the difference, in the 2013 GF we had too many of those compared to the Hawks.

Yeah, winning a flag is mostly based on luck right? That's why every team is a chance every year and its just down to luck which one takes out the flag right?

Why even bother training or having coaches? It's all luck right?
We’re talking about the elite level, what separates the top is primarily luck, with more luck we’d have beaten Hawthorn in the GF, GWS could have had a three peat by now with more luck, imagine if Shiel knocked out Cotchin and got off not vice-versa

Tiny margins you can’t control and because of that you can’t guarantee a premiership you can only get yourself thereabouts and hope you get lucky

We’re talking about the elite level, what separates the top is primarily luck, with more luck we’d have beaten Hawthorn in the GF, GWS could have had a three peat by now with more luck, imagine if Shiel knocked out Cotchin and got off not vice-versa

Tiny margins you can’t control and because of that you can’t guarantee a premiership you can only get yourself thereabouts and hope you get lucky

Strongly disagree with that sentiment. Luck plays a part no doubt but it is very rarely the main difference. Your comment was "Luck is more important than coaching or injury management" which IMO is simply not true.

Strongly disagree with that sentiment. Luck plays a part no doubt but it is very rarely the main difference. Your comment was "Luck is more important than coaching or injury management" which IMO is simply not true.
My original comment is you can’t guarantee a premiership, it’s not an entirely controllable commodity - no team has ever started the season paying 1.00 to win the thing or even gone in on grand final day 1.00 to win it - luck is incredibly important, the rest you just need to do to an equivalent level to the teams around you, don’t have equivalent list talent? Supplement with coaching, poor coaching and a talented list? Adelaide got to the gf against Richmond not that long ago

Even if you do all the right things you still need luck, look at how Collingwood have fallen off due to injury this year and some bad luck in close games, could have won the GF last year with more luck and been competing for another this year

Need to get our best 25 fit and on the field for most of the season. Do that and we’re as good a shout as any.

Been a problem for as long as I can remember. Injuries that is. Major injuries too.

Pearce, Ryan, Wilson, Taberner, Hogan, Cox, Hill, Lobb off top of my head is significant.

Plus Sandi for most of the year.

A new coach.

A new CEO. In fact the perfect candidate is already at the club!

A new approach to drafting and trading, which comes from the new coach, who will have a new and modern and relevant outlook. Recruiting smart footballers who know where to run and what to do with a kick, who can nail a target, and some character would be a bonus. To stop importing complete duds and guys who hold up development so they can get 50 average games in a Freo jumper (Conca, Colyer). To stop having these no-nothing duds in who might be able to play six positions, but can't excel in any.

Forget 2015-2019 and use the cunning of 2011, the spirit of '95 to 2006, coaching innovation of Neesham, and heritage and constant success of the South Fremantle and East Freo footy clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does Freo have to change to win a Premiership?

Absolutely this year...a lot of supporters needed a dose of the old 'Epsom salts'.
Good supporters unified and not putting shite on everything/everyone when they are disappointed is a big help to the side to do well,
especially in barracking when the chips are down.

What does Freo have to change to win a Premiership?

Absolutely this year...a lot of supporters needed a dose of the old 'Epsom salts'.
Good supporters unified and not putting s**t on everything/everyone when they are disappointed is a big help to the side to do well,
especially in barracking when the chips are down.
Nah. We've already had Mundy tell us if you don't like things the way they are, then we are not real supporters. Stuff that. If the players want to play for the coach and not the club, that is their business, but I don't have to abide it.

I don’t believe we have a skills issue. We have a decision making issue. The players seem to take to long to make decisions on what to do, then panic because they’re taking too long and make stupid mistakes as a result.

Which tells me the game plan or their roles in it, are too complex. They are the top of the entire country in a sport most kids love/play from tots. Skills are not the issue.

The other major one is injury management, we’re s**t at it. Relying on an effort based gameplan is also ludicrously stupid as it directly contributes to this.

I’d like to see players played in their natural positions, given simple instructions as part of a well thought out plan to empower them to play smarter rather than harder.

Need to get our best 25 fit and on the field for most of the season. Do that and we’re as good a shout as any.

Been a problem for as long as I can remember. Injuries that is. Major injuries too.

Pearce, Ryan, Wilson, Taberner, Hogan, Cox, Hill, Lobb off top of my head is significant.
Half that list of players we beat the Saints, Melbourne and Carlton.

I don’t believe we have a skills issue. We have a decision making issue. The players seem to take to long to make decisions on what to do, then panic because they’re taking too long and make stupid mistakes as a result.

Which tells me the game plan or their roles in it, are too complex. They are the top of the entire country in a sport most kids love/play from tots. Skills are not the issue.

The other major one is injury management, we’re s**t at it. Relying on an effort based gameplan is also ludicrously stupid as it directly contributes to this.

I’d like to see players played in their natural positions, given simple instructions as part of a well thought out plan to empower them to play smarter rather than harder.

I’ve said this fact for years. If you hesitate at this level for 1 second well you can imagine the distance an athlete can cover in that time and the flow on effect that has.

So the attitude of players needs to change but so does the coaching around that. You can’t select a player and expect them to play a certain style if they fear getting the chop the following week.

So that does come back to coaching, selection but also understanding that ‘hey you... new guy... we’re giving you 3 weeks to play to a style we’re asking and then we’ll re-evaluate’. Maybe that’s impossible to ask.

The guy that Colin Young tried to stop from getting an extension.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I think he's done a great job this year, he's still inexperienced and learning. I'd still be keen on getting ex Freo boy Neil Balme, with Bell understudy.

I also like someone's suggestion about Mark Brayshaw for three years or so to get us back on our feet.

I feel like if posters had to actually state "who" the next coach should be if they ever state Lyon should be sacked, then that would actually create meaningful discussion forcing people to think more critically about the issue.

I feel like if posters had to actually state "who" the next coach should be if they ever state Lyon should be sacked, then that would actually create meaningful discussion forcing people to think more critically about the issue.

There's a whole thread devoted to that with more than 800 posts. Not enough for you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back