Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

You honestly think a performance like that - probably the worst of any club this season - is all down to injury?

The players simply refused to compete.

Are you saying they are staging a coup?

You honestly think a performance like that - probably the worst of any club this season - is all down to injury?

Yep. It happens. Not very often to us mercifully but it happens. This has been coming for weeks now. I just hope Parish and Francis coming back in can make us a bit more competitive but every chance the next two are going to be ugly as well. Play the kids time. Jok. Mozzie. BZT. Mynot. Whoever. Get em in and start sending players who need it for surgery. ******* awful end to the season to bookend our start.

Woosha can display any type of emotion he wants publicly as long as he stems this apology BS after the fact from himself and the players wheeling out the cliches... Didnt show up today, embarrassed by not showing up today, not playing the way want, working out our style etc etc... I'll give you some clinches coach n players... "Effort is free" "You had one job"

You're all on ridiculas money FFS and privileged to be playing the game at the highest level.

Stop taking the Pi55 with the dialog and get the psychological side of things right or you're nothing but a filler team and without achievement you'll fade into obscurity.

Yep.

We've reached the injury tipping point. People can bang on about the other stuff until the cows come home if they like but really that's what I think it boils down to. The team is simply cooked.

The whole thing speaks to a lack of genuine, battle hardened depth.

It’s starting to get there slowly but we just don’t have the depth to sustain what is a pretty taxing gameplan over a 22 game season, this has been coming for a while.

I’m going to keep bringing it up because it keeps being relevant. What do you expect when you have less experience on your list than everyone but the Gold Coast?

I will leave the military coups to your judgment, Leader.

What are you saying then?

They chose to stop playing when exactly? After the Crows game? Gold Coast game?

Yep.

We've reached the injury tipping point. People can bang on about the other stuff until the cows come home if they like but really that's what I think it boils down to. The team is simply cooked.

And not just the injuries and playing injured players but I think ruck situation has compounded even further.

Clarke had more hit outs but no connection with the mids. Against Port he and Brown were just completely overwhelmed.

Last edited:
What are you saying then?

They chose to stop playing when exactly? After the Crows game? Gold Coast game?

I’m saying there was something deeply wrong with Saturday night’s performance, considerably more than can be explained by an injury list.

It wasn’t just a loss, or even just a bad loss. It was tools-down refusal to compete.

Dunno how anybody could watch it and conclude differently, myself. There was simply no effort there.

I’m saying there was something deeply wrong with Saturday night’s performance, considerably more than can be explained by an injury list.

It wasn’t just a loss, or even just a bad loss. It was tools-down refusal to compete.

Dunno how anybody could watch it and conclude differently, myself. There was simply no effort there.

I think you need the context of the last six weeks, no? If you take this match as a standalone then yeah, crazy. But come on man, we have had a tumultuous run even with those 5 wins in a row. Where were the alarm bells against GC? Just because we won it doesn't matter? The trend line is there to see pretty plainly.

There was effort in some players. Go watch Zach Merrett for one.

I agree. Regardless of the injuries, 22 professionally paid althetes took to the field to represent the club and then proceeded to dish up absolute garbage. This stinks real bad.

The whole thing speaks to a lack of genuine, battle hardened depth.

It’s starting to get there slowly but we just don’t have the depth to sustain what is a pretty taxing gameplan over a 22 game season, this has been coming for a while.

I’m going to keep bringing it up because it keeps being relevant. What do you expect when you have less experience on your list than everyone but the Gold Coast?

If anyone was watching Kangas hit the wall a bit too. There gamestyle is hugely taxing, I'm interested if they can last a whole season.

Or you want there to be something more to it and that's why you are seeing it.

It's so much better if there is something we can do, fire someone, change something, give the players an old fashioned rev up.

But it's just the team being totally fried.
It's a s**t way to end the season but this is what we are going to cop, because this has been coming.

Coincidence. Our stats weren't great for several weeks beforehand, we just managed to stay close in games and had a good last quarter or 2 in the case of Crows.

The good teams know how to work us out. Win the contested ball and as a fail safe get numbers behind the ball, we play dumb football, will kick poorly into the forward line where opposition have their numbers, they gather posession and we are out of position because we have over committed.

I'd say that it might have been the last straw.

Fragile group that cant have been deluded enough to think they were going particularly well. Add in more injuries and then bring in what looks like the succession plan and that's the tipping point.

They players are hardly playing like the season is alive.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying they are staging a coup?

It's definitely happened before.

Melbourne attempted the sit down protest and got the wrong person sacked (legend has it Bailey was not their target).

For the record, I dont think there is enough spine in our group to attempt it (even if it was something they wanted to do).

Melbourne attempted the sit down protest and got the wrong person sacked (legend has it Bailey was not their target).

For the record, I dont think there is enough spine in our group to attempt it (even if it was something they wanted to do).

I wouldn't rule one out of footy, no. But to hint at it with our team is silly. We were a happy bunch a few weeks ago (rightly or wrongly).

I'd be surprised if all clubs didn't already have one, but just on the off-chance we don't, a team psychologist would be at the forefront of my priorities.
Been too much talent on this list for this level of achievement for too long to say something's not 100% right there.

If anyone was watching Kangas hit the wall a bit too. There gamestyle is hugely taxing, I'm interested if they can last a whole season.

They do have a really physically taxing brand, but they’re also a pretty experienced list that has had a pretty good run with injuries.

We’re 450 games of experience from where they are in terms of list profile (which is right in the middle of the pack by the way) which is a couple of 100+game contributors and a couple of seasons into kids.

I'd be surprised if all clubs didn't already have one, but just on the off-chance we don't, a team psychologist would be at the forefront of my priorities.
Been too much talent on this list for this level of achievement for too long to say something's not 100% right there.

There used to be a staff listing on the club website but it looks to have been removed.

We were working with external organisational psychologists for a while, not sure if still are.

Interesting that the perception that Worsfold just sits on the bench appears to be a reality.

Apparently McGrath said that Worsfold wanted to give the players space.

they only refused to compete after having each attack repelled and thus losing confidence. The first 5 minutes Paul Roos noted how Essendon had come to play.
I'd say that it at have been the last straw.

Fragile group that cant have been deluded enough to think they were going particularly well. Add in more injuries and the bring in what looks like the succession plan and that's the tipping point.

They players are hardly playing like the season is alive.

mmmm nah. Caracella wasnt announced before gold coast game and we were terrible then.

You only need 3-4 players that dont correctly zone up (according to experts) for things to go pear shape.

Add Bellchambers whos been our best ruck to provide a contest and Heppell who played but is a shadow of himself, who is our best centre bounce clearance mid out of a side and the cracks start to appear.

Replace with that spud Zac Clarke, Myers, Baguley, Mcniece who simply aren't up to AFL standard anymore and the writing is on the wall.

We then have Hooker, Zaharakis and Fantasia playing injured possibly a couple more we don't even know (we're getting towards half a team trying to look like 18 fit players on the field).

We are simply cooked and the players that are taking afield are red zoning quicker than usual as they try to plug gaps (the first 5 minutes Paul Roos said Essendon had come to play?).

Talk of Caracella coming in as a succession plan is an excuse for the weak, if they dont like it, the power is in their hands to do something about it. Not trying is a defeatist attitude and they shouldnt be worried who is going to coach them, they should be more worried about being moved on due to lack of leadership.

Just to add - As you Bruno have advised Eth, it seems we've also been scared to make our players bigger, fitter since the supplements scandal e.g. pushing them to edge during the pre-season. We were behind the 8 ball by the time we played Carlton at princess park and have played catch up ever since, this must've placed extra stress on the players and it's caught up to us. On other hand teams like West Coast, Cats and now tigers have had the luxury to rest players after getting a couple wins under their belt or have had the depth to cover injured players (tigers with Lynch over Riewoldt).

There's a whole range of issues that culminated in our capitulation not to mention the dogs are hard to stop if you allow them to run and carry, much like what the Crows let us do in that second half.

Last edited:

who was it out of interest?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back