Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah OK so the forward you are proposing is fifth in line if you count Kennedy? Caveat emptor I reckon, I would rather have your two firsts.

Fifth in line?

Bearing in mind Vardy played in a flag last year its about how you structure your forward line & was round about in 2019 until injured - you guys traded him for pick 72. Vardy is still in the mix as a ruck/forward at the Eagles.

Kennedy is our #1 forward and is managed.
Darling is our #2 tall forward, and recently recontracted & a WA boy.
Oscar Allen is our #3 tall forward in his first full season and has been used on ball & down back. Also a WA boy
Waterman is our #4 tall forward, a father/son

The problem for both Geelong & the Eagles is doing a deal and Brander is central to getting it done the way I see it.

I've ignored the small forwards of whom only Jack Petrucelli is a Victorian & there have been suggestions the Dogs(?) are making a play for him. I see him as a potential replacement for Chris Masten on the wing, he's a talent perhaps he could be in the picture.

Last edited:
Kelly has looked quite poor second half of the season? What is up with that?
There's various training load related excuses doing the rounds which seem logical but not sure I buy them. I think there's a few peices missing from front half of the season which most clubs should be able to put around him. Our ruckwork was never amazing but since the bye has been close to the worst in the league. It wasn't great before that but it was passable. Secondly, the set up we had close in at the stoppages first half of the season had Parfitt and Constable in there at most of them and no Selwood and not much of Dangerfield. Similar to 2018 at the moment there's too many elite attacking players and no one blocking. Basically all that a side needs to get him to his output in the first half of the season is a passable ruck and a couple of depth mids

What's with all these Fremantle flogs trying to pump up hills tyres. This is the Kelly thread.

Geelong played poor and allowed hill space. In the majority of the Fremantle games it looked to me that hill had been found out and that is why Fremantle have been so poor.

Although I bet if Geelong did sign Hill then Cats fans will suddenly talk him up after rubbishing him previously.

Kennedy is our #1 forward and is managed.
Darling is our #2 tall forward, and recently recontracted & a WA boy.
Oscar Allen is our #3 tall forward in his first full season and has been used on ball & down back. Also a WA boy
Waterman is our #4 tall forward, a father/son

Darling has gone past Kennedy as our #1. JK has played 19, 14, 18* games the last 3 years. It's possible he only plays 10-15 next year. He's the same age as Jarryd Roughead who went from a 70 goal kicker to a 50 goal kicker, missed a year, had two years as serviceable 30 goal kicker playing a role to falling off a cliff this year.

Fast forward a year or two and the young guys jump up a spot in the pecking order. We played Kennedy, Darling, Allen, Waterman yesterday so without JK there is room for the other three plus Brander. Trading Brander would be a poor move unless a club rated him as worth a top 10 pick in this year's draft, which they wouldn't. I don't see a key forward future for Waterman, he reminds me of Lynch from the Crows. Having a couple of forward options with 3-4 pre seasons under their belts when Kennedy retires is the plan.

Thoughts on this potential trade?

WC’s 2019 first (~16)
WC’s 2020 first (~12-18)
Sydney’s 2019 second (~22)

for

Kelly
Geelong’s 2019 second (~35)
If he picks you guys and Cats can't convince one of your players to leave then I think that's where it will end up. Ballpark at least.

Darling has gone past Kennedy as our #1. JK has played 19, 14, 18* games the last 3 years. It's possible he only plays 10-15 next year. He's the same age as Jarryd Roughead who went from a 70 goal kicker to a 50 goal kicker, missed a year, had two years as serviceable 30 goal kicker playing a role to falling off a cliff this year.

Fast forward a year or two and the young guys jump up a spot in the pecking order. We played Kennedy, Darling, Allen, Waterman yesterday so without JK there is room for the other three plus Brander. Trading Brander would be a poor move unless a club rated him as worth a top 10 pick in this year's draft, which they wouldn't. I don't see a key forward future for Waterman, he reminds me of Lynch from the Crows. Having a couple of forward options with 3-4 pre seasons under their belts when Kennedy retires is the plan.

No argument I was keeping it simple in listing Kennedy at 1 & IF he plays 2020 that will be it IMHO, broken body.

I understand wanting to keep Brander having put 2 years into his development & this time last year I was in fierce agreement.

IF we want Kelly its shades of the Judd, quality in/quality out, year 2 is regularly difficult in AFL footy & Kelly has killed it - we dont have the picks, Freo will include Hill in a deal either directly or with a 3rd party.

I said at the end of 2018 that we need to work it so Waterman, Allen and Brander having a combined 80 games under their belts by the time JK finishes, rather than a combined 30. Brander hasn't had much of a run at it but the games played by Allen and Waterman this season have us on track for that, provided JK goes again in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair, yes. Let's be honest it will get done for a lot less though
For an out of contract player who nominates us (if that happens), I would be a bit annoyed if we paid that high a price. Unless he turns it back on for finals, I think the two early picks should get the trade done. His loss of form shows the danger in overvaluing from a small sample size. Obviously his best is brilliant, but there's every possibility he's not up to the workload of being a frontline player, that other teams may work him out.

Fair, yes. Let's be honest it will get done for a lot less though

Maybe.

Last year the cats reportedly wanted 20, 22 and our 2019 first. So the deal I proposed is better for west coast than if they had given that up last year.

I see our first this year and next year for Kelly as an ok deal for the eagles. So I guess cats fans will see that as unders.

I really hope we retain Brander, incredible touch for a KPF/D he's going to have a big future no matter where he goes.
I reckon he has an awkward ball drop, sometimes drops it quite high, guess that can be fixed though. But you don’t want it getting to far out of hand, it’s why Petracca butchers his kicks a lot.

You hope, Hill trumps that IMHO, the Cats are in the window more kids dont help.
IF Kelly is still anti Freo that will help otherwise I dont think you are on a winner.
Depends on your definition of window. Selwoods output has dropped off a cliff at age 31 which is usually a precursor to a September lap of the G, Danger hasn't played a full year primarily as an on-baller since 2017, Kelly about to ask for a trade. Fair chance the cats major ballwinners next year are aged 22 or under in Constable, Parfitt, Cockatoo, and Narkle. Maybe add Jack Steven but he isn't going to be a game changer.

That said, who knows. Our window was has supposed to have closed half a dozen times in the last decade. I've stopped believing in Windows.

Depends on your definition of window. Selwoods output has dropped off a cliff at age 31 which is usually a precursor to a September lap of the G, Danger hasn't played a full year primarily as an on-baller since 2017, Kelly about to ask for a trade. Fair chance the cats major ballwinners next year are aged 22 or under in Constable, Parfitt, Cockatoo, and Narkle. Maybe add Jack Steven but he isn't going to be a game changer.

That said, who knows. Our window was has supposed to have closed half a dozen times in the last decade. I've stopped believing in Windows.

:thumbsu: well appreciated by the Eagles fraternity, even after a flag few of our players are even rated - dont see a Cats rebuild in the immediate future.

Maybe.

Last year the cats reportedly wanted 20, 22 and our 2019 first. So the deal I proposed is better for west coast than if they had given that up last year.

I see our first this year and next year for Kelly as an ok deal for the eagles. So I guess cats fans will see that as unders.

Although he was under contract last year.

And Jack Steven will be 30 at the start of next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back