Preview Changes: R22 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm curious, how do people on here rate Rory Laird as a defender?

Not as an overall player, just purely his defensive actions?

I only ask because I feel like he is leaking goals for us this season. I just watched the highlights and saw 3-4 goals where he could/ should have repelled!

Last edited:
On the surface this is a good idea, but neither of ROB/Jacobs are athletic and would not offer any defensive pressure up forward. Plus, have you not seen ROB's kicking? It is diabolical.

We just got to nullify Grundy as much as possible, we will not win this ruck battle.
I know what you are saying, but I genuinely think the defensive pressure we get from Murphy, Betts, Douglas and Lynch is just as bad as what these guys could provide. And at least ROB and Jacobs can take a pack mark at the high point, which adds a hell of a lot more uncomfortable situations for defenders then smalls who don't tackle!

And the best defensive pressure is and forever will be scoreboard pressure!

I only ask because I feel like he is leaking goals for is this season. I just watched the highlights and saw 3-4 goals where he could/ should have repelled!
Had has a deadset stinker of a season. Cost us goals regularly, offered little offensively with his ceiling cracking sky kicks.

Got coaches votes last week, but has been generally awful and playing on reputation only

I only ask because I feel like he is leaking goals for is this season. I just watched the highlights and saw 3-4 goals where he could/ should have repelled!

Likes playing loose but with the new rules he has to play on an opponent at centre bounces.

He has been very poor this year and his butchery skills with the ball are the best in the team. He is also missing tackles which is a bad sign for a supposed hard nut and as a defender it is very costly..

With Doedee coming back next year and Kelly playing well, Laird may find himself out of the team unless he has a big turnaround.

Had has a deadset stinker of a season. Cost us goals regularly, offered little offensively with his ceiling cracking sky kicks.

Got coaches votes last week, but has been generally awful and playing on reputation only
I tend to agree, I just watch as teams go through him because they know he's not a true defender. Maybe its time we leave the defensive QB role to Milera and get Laird the hell out of there.

Seems to be a liability.

Likes playing loose but with the new rules he has to play on an opponent at centre bounces.

He has been very poor this year and his butchery skills with the ball are the best in the team. He is also missing tackles which is a bad sign for a supposed hard nut and as a defender it is very costly..

With Doedee coming back next year and Kelly playing well, Laird may find himself out of the team unless he has a big turnaround.
I agree, defenders need to be able to defend. And whats become clear is Laird is and always has been a midfielder that's been given the freedom to roam around the defensive half picking up uncontested possessions at will.

And the rule changes have forced him to pick up a man, which has left us vulnerable!

I’m of the opinion Knight is superfluous now, but another two games to make sure is neither here nor there

Lynch anonymous

Douglas meh

In:
Jones
McHenry
Butts
Sholl
Himmelberg
Ootiib C
mcHenry hasnt played in about 2 months. Still 2-3 weeks away. Hopefully ready for the SANFL finals. All though wont have had the 3 games after June so will require a permit unless we are in AFl finals

Im not sure why everyone wants Jacobs dropped this week. Our midfield was much better on the weekend with him in. Given we play the Pies with Grundy. Id consider playing both. Otten stank on the wknd. Rob for Otten, Sloane for Greenwood, Rat for seed/jones.

Im not sure why everyone wants Jacobs dropped this week. Our midfield was much better on the weekend with him in. Given we play the Pies with Grundy. Id consider playing both. Otten stank on the wknd. Rob for Otten, Sloane for Greenwood, Rat for seed/jones.

We gained nothing by bringing him in. Just a couple of more games to a dinosaur well past his best.

My changes
Out: Mackay Douglas Jacobs Atkins Otten Hartigan
In: Gooch Seed ROB Scholl Keath Greenwood

Given that has 0% chance of happening, what I hope for is something like
Out: Otten Jacobs
In Gooch ROB
More speed, and Collingwood's forward line is short without Cox so 3 tall defs is too many. But I think we'll back the boys in

Hope Sloaney is good to go

Because he is old, wasn't very good and ROB is better.

His opponent was a kid who got votes.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say I thought our midfield looked much better but not sure if this is down to Jacobs or the midfielders pulling their finger out.
Looked like a better attitude to me, if we played like that every week at least you'd be satisfied we were having a crack and cared about the result.

Yep.. he’s had a shocker..

Maybe something to do with the new 666 format.. maybe not..

his kicking skills are abominable.

Was some rumour floating around on here that he has had some homesickness/mental health/personal issue? that may or may not surround his relationship with his girlfriend.. was a rumour she still lives in Melbourne?..

Anyway.. I’d like to see him traded.. like to think he’d get us something decent now before he slides any further.. easily replaced by scholl or McPherson if McPherson can stay injury free ffs.

Keath for Otten
Butts for Hartigan
ROB for Sauce
Seed for Lynch (fu** structure)
Need to mindful with Hartigan and Otten out we are making our Back ruck a Kid who has not rucked at all, or a tall Keath who has ankle issues and not much experience in the ruck.

I would go ROB for Otten but Not Greenwood for Sloane, would be better with Pohokle than Greenwood base on SANFL form.
Seed needs to play aswell

Need to mindful with Hartigan and Otten out we are making our Back ruck a Kid who has not rucked at all, or a tall Keath who has ankle issues and not much experience in the ruck.
Better be careful playing Fogarty as a one out full forward. He’s just a kid who hasn’t played full forward very much in the 2’s.

I know there are a lot of eyerolls when this has been mentioned.

I think we all agree Otten is smart and skilled but with the handicap of glacier-like speed. I don't think we'd be losing anything compared to the gain of what ROB brings.

Sauce is a half decent set shot on goal but ROB is, well...anyway, ROB has taken some great contested marks deep in defence and his work in the packs is fantastic. Both playing on the ground at the same time could be catastrophic or it could be genius.

Is it a bit late in the year to experiment with this? Considering the Crows' object right now is to get in to the 8, I think they'll be conservative as usual and wouldn't take the risk.

Imagine the lampooning we'd get if it all turned to s**t, with the big guys getting in the way of Tex and Fog.

Agree. Let's experiment a la Blight.

Don't think we have to worry about getting in Tex,s way.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back