Autopsy Round 21, 2019: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Things must be going OK when the best thing we can find to argue about in a 3 point win is whether Acres should have done better in a one-on-one in the goal square that ended up being touched by the Freo defender.

Anyone remember Carlisle's 20m kick straight to a Freo forward or Stuv's dinky little sideways kick in our attacking 50 that was intercepted by a Freo player coming back with the play?

Players make mistakes or zone out (ball watching) all the time yet Blake Acres is the guy that gets the space cadet label.

Things must be going OK when the best thing we can find to argue about in a 3 point win is whether Acres should have done better in a one-on-one in the goal square that ended up being touched by the Freo defender.

Anyone remember Carlisle's 20m kick straight to a Freo forward or Stuv's dinky little sideways kick in our attacking 50 that was intercepted by a Freo player coming back with the play?

Players make mistakes or zone out (ball watching) all the time yet Blake Acres is the guy that gets the space cadet label.

The other 2 were skill mistakes. You or me could do the block.

We sat in the pocket next to their cheersquad.

First time I have ever been exposed to their supporters.

What a strange species.

It was like stepping back to the 90's.

Haven't heard "chewy on your boot" for about 20 years...

Last time we sat next to the Freo cheer squad I got an education, a drunk guy had his dick out the top of his pants and was waving his bare arse at the Saints fans near him, took great offence at being asked to calm down even though he was exposing himself near children. They were being racist, sexist and aggressive. Probably the worst behaved fans I've seen since the good old days.

The multiple times we kicked out of defence straight to Fyfe standing on his own is space as well.

Luke Dunstan: 24 disposal (4th highest), 13 contested (3rd highest), 79% DE, 5 clearances (2nd highest)

I thought he was good but didn't realise he was going so well.

Last time we sat next to the Freo cheer squad I got an education, a drunk guy had his dick out the top of his pants and was waving his bare arse at the Saints fans near him, took great offence at being asked to calm down even though he was exposing himself near children. They were being racist, sexist and aggressive. Probably the worst behaved fans I've seen since the good old days.

2 years ago at their WAFL affiliate grand final i saw the family members of one ex essendon player and their WAFL affiliate trying to get to two old ladies in a box to assault them. dead give away is when they mouth on about their family member playing and how they are all decked out in jumpers with their numbers on their back. they were going off. security had to be called. irony was one of these players was being sledged this year and there was this big piece in the paper how it hard really hard for his family to hear to abuse he was getting, which wasn't racial in nature, they were just calling him a spud etc. i couldn't believe that for a family that tried to assault two old ladies how some sledging was really hard to deal with, but everyone in the facebook comments was lapping it up about how much of a victim he was. completely unaware how feral his family can be.

same match 2 years ago, one of the dockers players, who was participating in the match, tried to assault one of the older officials participating in the match.

freo used to be an underdog club you would go for because of how damn arrogant WCE is.

freo are arrogant and absolutely feral now. there's nothing to like about how they conduct themselves as a club and as a supporter base.

I watched the re-watched it today, so just some thoughts on the game.

- I don't think enough has been said about how great Hunter has been recently. The kid is an absolute star. There were two passages in the third which highlighted how skilled he is - one he gathered a loose ball, weaved through 2 tackles then casually handballed to a free player, than the other he gathered a spilled mark with one hand, ran around two players then perfectly hit up Hanners who was loose in the corridor. He is now become a consistent 25 disposal player. I'm excited for next year when he has a tank to influence games more consistently because he will be the envy of many many teams.

- I was impressed by Paton as well. He didn't get the ball a lot, but when he did he looked comfortable and didnt panic. A really good mark for someone his size and a good one-on-one defender. I think he is the front runner for the small defender role post Geary (I'm presuming next year is Geary's last).

- It's says a lot about Billings season that he can have a 27 disposal, 8 mark, 4 clearances (3 centre), 6 score involvements and 400+ meters gained and no one bats an eyelid. And he is around this mark in all these stats every week. He is an A grade player who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

- That's the best game Savage has played for ages, especially the third quarter. He kept taking the game on without forgetting about actually defending him opponent. His long kicking was also a great asset late in the game just to give us a chance clearing defensive. More of this please.

- Seb has had a really good month since Ratts has taken over. His kicking has improved, his leadership is more noticeable around the ground and he is having an influence on games. He looked a bit lost during that mid patch of the season but has returned to his 2017-18 form which is what we need.

- Newnes looked very comfortable and influential at half back - I think he was moved there post Coffield injury because I didnt notice him in the first quarter, but he looked like vintage Newnes. Some of his stats - intercepts, score involvements, meters gained - were all hitting the same mark as they were at the start of the season when he looked really good. I would keep him back for the next 2 games.

- It was a dark 20 minutes when it looked like Marshall was seriously injured and we would have to live through the Rowe experiment, so we were so lucky it didnt get there. Props to Marshall for pulling through and still attacking every contest for the game. He was monstered by Sandilands but he really stood up in the last quarter and started to cause freo headaches around the ground with his agility and clearance work.

- I am so sick of Membrey marking the ball 70m out on the wing, turning around to forward line which has a one-on-one yet waiting for every player to run back to clog it up. HURRY UP MEMBREY!!!!! every single time.

2 years ago at their WAFL affiliate grand final i saw the family members of one ex essendon player and their WAFL affiliate trying to get to two old ladies in a box to assault them. they were going off. security had to be called. irony was one of these players was being sledged this year and there was this big piece in the paper how it hard really hard for his family to hear to abuse he was getting, which wasn't racial in nature, they were just calling him a spud etc. i couldn't believe that for a family that tried to assault two old ladies how some sledging was really hard to deal with, but everyone in the facebook comments was lapping it up about how much of a victim he was. completely unaware how feral his family can be.

same match 2 years ago, one of the dockers players, who was participating in the match, tried to assault one of the older officials participating in the match.

freo used to be an underdog club you would go for because of how damn arrogant WCE is.

freo are arrogant and absolutely feral now. there's nothing to like about how they conduct themselves as a club and as a supporter base.

Wot.

- I don't think enough has been said about how great Hunter has been recently. The kid is an absolute star. There were two passages in the third which highlighted how skilled he is - one he gathered a loose ball, weaved through 2 tackles then casually handballed to a free player, than the other he gathered a spilled mark with one hand, ran around two players then perfectly hit up Hanners who was loose in the corridor. He is now become a consistent 25 disposal player. I'm excited for next year when he has a tank to influence games more consistently because he will be the envy of many many teams.

- I was impressed by Paton as well. He didn't get the ball a lot, but when he did he looked comfortable and didnt panic. A really good mark for someone his size and a good one-on-one defender. I think he is the front runner for the small defender role post Geary (I'm presuming next year is Geary's last).

- It's says a lot about Billings season that he can have a 27 disposal, 8 mark, 4 clearances (3 centre), 6 score involvements and 400+ meters gained and no one bats an eyelid. And he is around this mark in all these stats every week. He is an A grade player who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

- That's the best game Savage has played for ages, especially the third quarter. He kept taking the game on without forgetting about actually defending him opponent. His long kicking was also a great asset late in the game just to give us a chance clearing defensive. More of this please.

- Seb has had a really good month since Ratts has taken over. His kicking has improved, his leadership is more noticeable around the ground and he is having an influence on games. He looked a bit lost during that mid patch of the season but has returned to his 2017-18 form which is what we need.

- Newnes looked very comfortable and influential at half back - I think he was moved there post Coffield injury because I didnt notice him in the first quarter, but he looked like vintage Newnes. Some of his stats - intercepts, score involvements, meters gained - were all hitting the same mark as they were at the start of the season when he looked really good. I would keep him back for the next 2 games.

- It was a dark 20 minutes when it looked like Marshall was seriously injured and we would have to live through the Rowe experiment, so we were so lucky it didnt get there. Props to Marshall for pulling through and still attacking every contest for the game. He was monstered by Sandilands but he really stood up in the last quarter and started to cause freo headaches around the ground with his agility and clearance work.

- I am so sick of Membrey marking the ball 70m out on the wing, turning around to forward line which has a one-on-one yet waiting for every player to run back to clog it up. HURRY UP MEMBREY!!!!! every single time.

So you want membery to kick it quickly to no one?

great post!

hunters development this year has been great since the bye. if we can transition him to the wing or as an inside mid will be where he goes from a good young player to be absolute amazing and the future of our midfield.

newnes is HBF or bust now i reckon. i think he needs run with roles.

We sat in the pocket next to their cheersquad.

First time I have ever been exposed to their supporters.

What a strange species.

It was like stepping back to the 90's.

Haven't heard "chewy on your boot" for about 20 years...
We were at the opposite end on level 3 and there was a Saints fan calling out 'chewy on ya boot' all game - so it's not just freo fans caught in a time warp.

Thats the thing, we usually have a player in there with just one defender so instead of kicking to them he always waits until the forward line is clogged and the just kicks it to an outnumbered contest. He does it multiple times a game.
Well it seemed to me he waited because it was 2 or 3 on way a lot of times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he looked pretty disapointed in himself after it so i reckon the first option with maybe a bit of the second

I seriously doubt he was mentally switched off one on one in the goal square waiting for a kick from Lonie. I find this whole “space cadet” thing a bit of a furphy (first time I’ve used that word 🤣) to be honest. A few years ago he may have been caught dreaming occasionally, but rarely has it happened in the past year or so.

I personally think Lonie was betwixt and between...should I go for goal? should I kick to Blake?....and therefore ended up doing neither rather well! That ball should have gone through well over their heads.

Last edited:

I'll add to that Newnes great handball straight to Fyfe who was then tackled in those dying seconds.....wow....did Newnes pick the wrong option there.

IMO....we were very lucky that there wasn't an in the back decision there to Fyfe.

The way the umpiring had been all afternoon I was just waiting for the whistle to go.

The scenario being Fyfe slots the goal after the siren and Freo win.

Thank the lord that didn't happen.

I'll add to that Newnes great handball straight to Fyfe who was then tackled in those dying seconds.....wow....did Newnes pick the wrong option there.

IMO....we were very lucky that there wasn't an in the back decision there to Fyfe.

The way the umpiring had been all afternoon I was just waiting for the whistle to go.

The scenario being Fyfe slots the goal after the siren and Freo win.

Thank the lord that didn't happen.
You can thank the lord. I will thank my umpiring brethren

Pluggs your an umpire what was your thoughts on the Mundy non holding the ball ? i kinda feel he needed to be held a bit more solidly for it to be holding the ball as it wasnt technically a tackle but getting spun round 360 by it does mean he had heaps and heaps of time to dispose of it much more than normally given ...

I'd have paid it. Was an effort to tackle, player was regressed in that their momentum was stopped. Arms were free to dispose of the ball, disposal happened after roughly 420 degree spin, just on time alone, too long, give it up.

Comes a time where in opinion you think "does he want to dispose of it or does he want to wait until a better option happens whilst a bloke is hanging off him" and firmly Mundy was in the "wait and see" camp for mine.

But similarly, can see why it wasn't since he wasn't really impeded by the tackle.

Everyone is ranking the small forwards, but what about Young?? Anybody?? Anybody? Oh... okay
There's one thing about Young I wish all our small forwards had - the ability to kick the ball 50+ metres.

Gresh, Lonie and Long struggle to kick it over a jam tin at times.

I seriously doubt he was mentally switched off one on one on the goal square waiting for a kick from a Lonie. I find this whole “space cadet” thing a bit of a furphy (first time I’ve used that word 🤣) to be honest. A few years ago he may have been caught dreaming occasionally, but rarely has it happened in the past year or so.

I personally think Lonie was betwixt and between...should I go for goal? should I kick to Blake?....and therefore ended up doing neither rather well! That ball should have gone through well over their heads.
It's pretty well known that the worst thing you can do as a forward is kick it long to the goal-line so it makes it easy for a defender to punch through. The thing that put the mistake on Lonie is he was 40m out and not kicking around a corner... it's criminal to not make the distance from there in that situation and put it to the goal-line.

Unfortunately, Blake suffers from something you see a lot in life: people have a set on him and see everything he does in a bad light. I see the same in workplaces everywhere from managers and it shits me no end.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with picking out and bringing up mistakes but so many people get blinded by their own bias against an individual they end up seeing mistakes when they aren't even there while letting things other people do slide. It's pretty cancerous stuff and I hope our coaches can see the bigger picture (I have a feeling from listening to Ratts he is fantastic at this, a really great manager of people).

It's pretty well known that the worst thing you can do as a forward is kick it long to the goal-line so it makes it easy for a defender to punch through. The thing that put the mistake on Lonie is he was 40m out and not kicking around a corner... it's criminal to not make the distance from there in that situation and put it to the goal-line.

Unfortunately, Blake suffers from something you see a lot in life: people have a set on him and see everything he does in a bad light. I see the same in workplaces everywhere from managers and it s**ts me no end.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with picking out and bringing up mistakes but so many people get blinded by their own bias against an individual they end up seeing mistakes when they aren't even there while letting things other people do slide. It's pretty cancerous stuff and I hope our coaches can see the bigger picture (I have a feeling from listening to Ratts he is fantastic at this, a really great manager of people).

Excellent analogy. It’s what separates the great leaders from the rest. From the outside it looks like Ratts is managing the players brilliantly.

The certainly put the W into Anchor.

Unfortunately, Blake suffers from something you see a lot in life: people have a set on him and see everything he does in a bad light. I see the same in workplaces everywhere from managers and it s**ts me no end.

Just like they do with other players yes? And the coach etc etc...

Some posters are very selective with who they defend and who they hang s**t on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back