Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Adelaide (R22, Sat 17/08 4:35pm AO)

Remove this Banner Ad

I share your enthusiasm for Moore fwd, but if so, how do we cover Kennedy/ Darling, Lynch/Reivolt who are the most potent combinations during finals. I think his athleticism is neded on Lynch and either of Darling or Kennedy.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Madgen & Roughead might be our best bet. I'd probably have Howe take Riewoldt though, he's the most mobile forward out of that group.

Training will say a lot tomorrow.

Last week, De Goey reportedly trained strongly earlier in the week, but did light training on the Thursday. Moore on the other hand trained fully on the Thursday and was impressive.

Given the VFL bye this week, I reckon if both are fit, they'd be chances of returning this week to the seniors so they get at least a 2 week block before finals. It's getting to the time of the year where you can't be too conservative, because if you can't get these players out on the park before finals, they become a huge flight risk to play without any match conditioning in the first week of finals. So sometimes you have to pray and hope for the best, and throw caution to the wind. Best they break down now than during the finals.
I think only one JDG & Moore will come in this week.
The other, the following week.
Assuming Daicos is an out.
JDG or Moore to replace him.
If both return, then Madgen comes out.
I like the idea of leaving Roughead down back & Moore at CHF.

Darcy has had his moments down forward, but hasn't played there since 2016 I think? Clearly showed his class down back. Pre Samson level hair cut calamity anyway.

I believe he had a shot against Richmond as well? Shanked it. The bloke is out of practice, ergo, too late to be switch hitting with him anyway. Billy will hopefully come into his own, but if not, De Goey permanent forward, and keep Billy half forward or pocket, and let him lead up, and on the ball.

Seemed to me Billy and De Goey just get in each others' way was my impression. I am really hoping for a strong effort this week.

Someone needs to light a fire cracker under our arses, because we have dawdled into our past two victories. The last quarter against Melbourne won't cut the mustard against the Crows. Especially at home, no matter how shithouse they have been.

Darcy has had his moments down forward, but hasn't played there since 2016 I think? Clearly showed his class down back. Pre Samson level hair cut calamity anyway.

I believe he had a shot against Richmond as well? Shanked it. The bloke is out of practice, ergo, too late to be switch hitting with him anyway. Billy will hopefully come into his own, but if not, De Goey permanent forward, and keep Billy half forward or pocket, and let him lead up, and on the ball.

Seemed to me Billy and De Goey just get in each others' way was my impression. I am really hoping for a strong effort this week.

Someone needs to light a fire cracker under our arses, because we have dawdled into our past two victories. The last quarter against Melbourne won't cut the mustard against the Crows. Especially at home, no matter how s**thouse they have been.
Nah Darcy played forward at times last year and for most if not all of 2017 and he’s allot better than Roughead up forward.

Before people jump on this I just want to put it on record that it is not impossible that De Goey is having scans to check on the progress of the recovery.

True, although he trained fully on Tuesday but then did little on Thursday, so there must be some concern there. You would have to say there has been some sort of set-back.

Let's see tomorrow how everyone trains. My guess is that we'll see little from De Goey, but hopefully Moore trains strongly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

De Goey and Moore will be back next week

Massive danger game, Adelaide brought the heat against WCE and killed them in the middle

Season on the line this week for them so expect the same, if sloane doesn’t get injured I think they win that game

We were deplorable against Melbourne especially in the middle of the ground and up forward

How the books have this a 50/50 game is laughable

The game stinks of us getting jumped like we did against GWS if we start the game like we have since the bye

Last edited:
The club won’t risk Degoey and Moore in a trip to Adelaide. They have been conservative all year so don’t expect this to change. They have marked Degoey, Moore and Wells to return against essendon with Reid a chance for the first final with Stephenson. The finals game has changed (slightly) with a bye between round 23 and finals. This will mean they back the side to win all games in finals, regardless of top 4. Bulldogs did it and other teams will too, as long as the bye remains between finals and the season curtain closer. It’s always been structure over players so although I’m not convinced of our ability to win without these players, we are much better making sure they are cherry ripe for finals.

Also from what I’ve heard, the club is doing a full review of our medical and fitness departments in the off season, that will rival the club review they did in 2017. Training surfaces, loads, programs including prevention will all get a look at. We’re also looking at poaching a big name from a club who has been keeping their injuries at a minimum over the past several years. This can’t come soon enough!

So hamstring awareness and just one week off turns into a month stint on the sidelines. Only at Collingwood. :drunk:

‘He hasn’t re-injured it’ is code for we have cocked it up again and somehow turned a slight hamstring injury where he played out the game into a 4wk injury.

Honestly we could turn a player getting 2 stitches on their leg into a 15wk injury followed by an amputation

I think only one JDG & Moore will come in this week.
The other, the following week.
Assuming Daicos is an out.
JDG or Moore to replace him.
If both return, then Madgen comes out.
I like the idea of leaving Roughead down back & Moore at CHF.
If Moore is available... CHB, where he was in the conversation for All Australian honours before the injury. Roughy back to FB, where he has been a rock. Madgen out to a flank. Mayne now not needed as a fill-in at HB. Defence rock solid.
Forward line is adaptable. Add JDG and JS about to be back, Wells a bonus if it happens. Howe a wild card if a situation calls for it.
Core message... no need to utensil up Moore’s equilibrium and the solidity of the backline by playing Moore up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back