Round 17: Versus Melbourne 7 x Hit Outs
Round 18: Versus St Kilda 23 x Hit Outs
Round 19: Versus Fremantle 14 x Hit Outs
Round 20: Versus Brisbane 27 x Hit Outs
Round 22: Versus Essendon 20 x Hit Outs

116 x Kicks, 115 x Handballs, 328 Hit Outs @ 18.2 Average Per Game

Ranked 27th for Average Hit Outs
Ranked 16th for Total Hit Outs
Ranked 46th for One Percenters 5.28 Average Per Game (Which is good for a young man) :thumbsu:
Yojimbo, were you a ruckman in another life? You seem to take special notice of the big guys.

My personal favourite selection:

2:04: McLean wins 1v1 contest against Hooker > dish to Lloyd > perfect kick to Dale > handball to Dunkley for the run in goal

4:50: Dickson run down on Heppell > Bont run and bounce through the middle > perfect kick to Schache, drops the mark but takes out the two Essendon defenders > McLean crumbs and goals

5:35: Schache smothers the goal face kick > Dale intercepts and soccers through the goal

6:47: what I love about this one is the 1-2 play between Bont/Toby the entire length of the ground. McLean handball to Bont > Bont handball to McLean > McLean taps on to Lipinski > Lipinski handballs to Bont > Bont handballs to McLean > McLean handball to Hayes who runs in to goal

8:04: Essendon handballs in our fwd pocket > Bont manages to intercept the handball, gather, and get a kick off to Schache for the mark and goal. All in pretty much one motion too. That one was just a classic display of Bont's elite, clean skills.

One other thing I noticed after watching: McLean was involved in almost everything. He of course kicked a few goals, but more so how he was also instrumental in a few others. Massive game from him.

Last edited:

My personal favourite selection:

2:04: McLean wins 1v1 contest against Hooker > dish to Lloyd > perfect kick to Dale > handball to Dunkley for the run in goal

4:50: Dickson run down on Heppell > Bont run and bounce through the middle > perfect kick to Schache, drops the mark but takes out the two Essendon defenders > McLean crumbs and goals

5:35: Schache smothers the goal face kick > Dale intercepts and soccers through the goal

6:47: what I love about this one is the 1-2 play between Bont/Toby the entire length of the ground. McLean handball to Bont > Bont handball to McLean > McLean taps on to Lipinski > Lipinski handballs to Bont > Bont handballs to McLean > McLean handball to Hayes who runs in to goal

8:04: Essendon handballs in our fwd pocket > Bont manages to intercept the handball, gather, and get a kick off to Schache for the mark and goal. All in pretty much one motion too. That one was just a classic display of Bont's elite, clean skills.

One other thing I noticed after watching: McLean was involved in almost everything. He of course kicked a few goals, but more so how he was also instrumental in a few others. Massive game from him.

It’s the exact type of game we were wanting from him early days this season. Scoreboard and contest pressure and bringing others in to the game. Hopefully he goes on with it.

Yojimbo, were you a ruckman in another life? You seem to take special notice of the big guys.
Only 187 cm Hard Ball Get, but I did play as a Ruck/Full Forward in under thirteens and kicked a lazy
fifty that year. Ruckman are an oddity in our game now, but think back mate it was not too long ago
that they were winning Brownlow Medals. Mind you Polly Farmer was 191 cm and John Nicholls was
188 cm so different times and all that.

Yep ditto. For mine English beat Clarke convincingly. I would take a few less hit-outs f English is beating his opponent around the ground.
Granted, Clarke isn't very good and a fit Bellchambers or even Draper (who hasn't debuted yet due to his ACL) might have been picked ahead of him anyway.
Mofra English did the same last year to us. He's an exceptional talent. Mobile and smart. Zac Clarke is a large chunk of uselessness with a mop head stuck on the top. I think he's actually dead and we have a system of pulleys at Marvel that help him around the ground 'WEEKEND AT BERNIES' style.
Well done Dogs!:thumbsu:

Only 187 cm Hard Ball Get, but I did play as a Ruck/Full Forward in under thirteens and kicked a lazy
fifty that year. Ruckman are an oddity in our game now, but think back mate it was not too long ago
that they were winning Brownlow Medals. Mind you Polly Farmer was 191 cm and John Nicholls was
188 cm so different times and all that.
50! That's almost a Coleman these days.

Since the 2016 year which that year was hard to front up and watch each game, I never have been so humiliated at a game when the opposition claps and cheers a late goal....opposition fans taking the complete piss out of us !!!! we are the laughing stock of the competition at the moment....never been so cut up as a member
- dons supporter

I think it was a great moment, very generous of us to cheer that tippa goal since they had no one left at the ground.

I felt like I could pinpoint the exact moment in the third quarter when , Ralph Wiggins style, we officially broke the Bombers players’ hearts.
411383a8189a80645fac9362817fe584.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches’ votes:

10 Josh Dunkley (WB)
8 Jack Macrae (WB)
5 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
4 Lachie Hunter (WB)
3 Toby McLean (WB)

No Essendon players. Appropriate and beautiful to see.
Remarkable level of agreement by the coaches on this one.
Coach A
5. Dunks
4. Macrae
3. Bont
2. McLean
1. Hunter

Coach B
5. Dunks
4. Macrae
3. Hunter
2. Bont
1. McLean

Only those 5 players got a look in. Bevo might have been coach B but that's just a hunch.

These models* are called Bronson Bulldog - I kid you not. Would be handy at VUWO training. They'd give us more of a workout than we got on Saturday night.

*Logo decals are a DIY extra

Not sure if it's been talked about a lot in this thread, but such a massive win as a percentage booster gives us the option of smashing Adelaide in the final game as a back-up avenue to finals, even if results don't go perfectly elsewhere.

If we lose, but narrowly against GWS, and Adelaide win but narrowly*, we could be in a situation where about a 50 point win leapfrogs us over Adelaide in percentage.

Adelaide are 115 points for above 100% and we are 36 points for above 100% (so 89 points). Say the combined margins of those two games - both results going against us, say by a combined 11 points - means that they're 100 points better than us above 100% and a 50-point win brings us to even against them.

*(this also requires all of these relatively likely things: Essendon lose at least both to Freo and Collingwood, Hawthorn don't defeat Gold Coast and West Coast by a combined margin of about 85 points, and that Port won't lose both of their games to North and Freo [if so, then 2 of us, Adelaide and Hawthorn will make it, and both Essendon and Port will miss out.)

Of course all of these results in combination are highly unlikely, just pointing out a situation where we're still in control of our own destiny even if both major results (GWS and Collingwood this coming week) go against us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back