Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s much more to being called up than form game by game in the vfl. Specific Roles played, training, overall vision of coaches on who they think can play what role and subsequent instructions on game day that will translate to senior level, all play a part. It’s not just who was best. That’s archaic.

Bet none of you thought Ross would play on the back of a half a vfl game? Not only that, he got stronger as the game wore on - 6possies first half and finished on 21.
He did build a few credits in his 5 appearances early on in terms of his capability , Rossy is a huge addition to the side and will play finals

TIGERS HINT AT DEBUT FOR PICKETT
By Toby Prime

It was Marlion Pickett’s first visit to the MCG on Sunday. But the Richmond mid-season recruit looked at home in the Tigers’ VFL win against Northern Blues.
And there’s a chance the mid-season recruit might play a few more games at the venue this year.

Pickett, 27, was slow to start in the 19.14 (128) to 12.12 (84) victory and finished with 15 disposals and a number of pressure acts in his second game since arriving at Punt Rd. He played as a midfielder in his VFL debut last week but started across half-back before being moved back on to the ball, where he showed glimpses of his talents.

The smooth-mover was named in Richmond’s extended squad for the clash against Carlton and he could yet receive an AFL debut before the end of the home-and-away season. “I’m not sure how much longer we’re going to have him (in the VFL team),” Richmond VFL coach Craig McRae said. “It was talked about at length at match committee this week. They wanted to see him down back (because) there’s a chance he could play that role at AFL level.

“He did it for a half then went through the midfield and he was pretty special. He did a couple of nice things. “He’s never played down back in our system. It’s on the job learning and they mentioned he may have played in the AFL today, that’s how quickly he has come into our group.” But best on ground honours would have gone to one of rookie pair Jacob Townsend and Jake Aarts, who combined for six goals and 51 disposals.
Yesss please!

As I said in an earlier post it appears they want to replace a Caddy or Short or Baker or Ellis.

I agree, they’re clearly looking for something back there given Caddy, Kmac and now pickett have been trialed/groomed there in recent weeks. Wonder if they’ve got a slight tweak they want suited to bigger player then the last 3 you mentioned. Would think short is most vulnerable, with Baker and Stack to switch back positions this weekend as we build.

I agree, they’re clearly looking for something back there given Caddy, Kmac and now pickett have been trialed/groomed there in recent weeks. Wonder if they’ve got a slight tweak they want suited to bigger player then the last 3 you mentioned. Would think short is most vulnerable, with Baker and Stack to switch back positions this weekend as we build.
Think so CM as I think carrying those three in the same team makes us a bit too small and probably lacking grunt and mongrel. KMac missing also takes size and grunt away and His replacement Caddy is too slow and imo unsuited at it. It’s good to see they’re working diligently this year to get the right mix before September. I was more of Stack at Wing HF , but I think he’s better down back for this year as he appears to be more confident in dismantling a forward.

Think so CM as I think carrying those three in the same team makes us a bit too small and probably lacking grunt and mongrel. KMac missing also takes size and grunt away and His replacement Caddy is too slow and imo unsuited at it. It’s good to see they’re working diligently this year to get the right mix before September. I was more of Stack at Wing HF , but I think he’s better down back for this year as he appears to be more confident in dismantling a forward.
Agreed put Stacky back to straighten him up a bit with a job to do , has drifted out of games and lost a bit of confidence if that was possible , need him back firing . If they don’t change his role I reckon he’s every chance to be dropped

Agreed put Stacky back to straighten him up a bit with a job to do , has drifted out of games and lost a bit of confidence if that was possible , need him back firing . If they don’t change his role I reckon he’s every chance to be dropped
I don’t think he’ll be dropped as he would love the challenge of playing on a Rioli or a Ryan.

Disagree about Caddy being unsuited for it.

He is strong, so guys won't be able to out wrestle him in a marking contest or on the ground very often and can therefore switch on to a bigger forwards like Darling in a pinch. Plus difficult to get down in a tackle.

He is a booming kick, this is Shorts biggest weapon and Caddy is almost as good. He can kick it long getting it out of the area, long down the line or use it to switch the play.

He is a strong mark and pretty good reader of the play, so will be able to create intercepts.

He is fearless, we know we he is gonna run back with the flight with no fear.

In fact in a lot of ways he is a bit like Vlastuin mkII, but has only been playing down there a few a weeks as opposed too Tigger being down there since day dot. Give him a chance and some time to adapt.

Kmac has a lot of similar traits as well, has better pace then Caddy and probably fitter. But not as good in the air or as good a kick or reader of the play.

Pickett has a little less size but I wonder if the match committee is hoping he is a bit of those better aspects of Caddy and KMac in the one player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree about Caddy being unsuited for it.

He is strong, so guys won't be able to out wrestle him in a marking contest or on the ground very often and can therefore switch on to a bigger forwards like Darling in a pinch. Plus difficult to get down in a tackle.

He is a booming kick, this is Shorts biggest weapon and Caddy is almost as good. He can kick it long getting it out of the area, long down the line or use it to switch the play.

He is a strong mark and pretty good reader of the play, so will be able to create intercepts.

He is fearless, we know we he is gonna run back with the flight with no fear.

In fact in a lot of ways he is a bit like Vlastuin mkII, but has only been playing down there a few a weeks as opposed too Tigger being down there since day dot. Give him a chance and some time to adapt.

Kmac has a lot of similar traits as well, has better pace then Caddy and probably fitter. But not as good in the air or as good a kick or reader of the play.

Pickett has a little less size but I wonder if the match committee is hoping he is a bit of those better aspects of Caddy and KMac in the one player.
Darling would kill him for speed and therefore strength bc of inertia he would build up. He’s not good enough to play bl bc of this. Broad is that player you’re describing. We would be too slow with him and Astbury down there, but Dave has an important role bc he plays on a genuine tall forward. KMac is also better than Caddy for that role bc he’s strong in the air and a wrecking ball.
I think the reason the club is frantically trying Pickett and Baker down there bc they want pace and if they can add some size it’s even better if Pickett can play the role. Caddy moved onto the wing in patches as well on the weekend , but he was left behind for speed. His only spot is resting forward with a pinch hit in the midfield , but Lynch has got the forward spot now. I think he’s limited and isn’t best 22, but the club as you say may want his physical presence for finals.

Darling would kill him for speed and therefore strength bc of inertia he would build up.

In a pinch I said. And Darlings speed would have little to do with it, sure he might beat him on the lead but he'll beat most guys on the lead. But in wrestle Caddy would stand up more than Short and Baker.

KMac is also better than Caddy for that role bc he’s strong in the air and a wrecking ball.

So's Caddy, he takes guys out constantly. Caddy has better football IQ than Kmac, something important when playing behind the play.

I watched maybe an hour of the VFL and he showed that he is above VFL level skills wise.
First thing I saw was a kick from HB/wing centering the ball. Amazing kick to take with plenty of oppo players around, but weighted it perfectly.
The second was in the midfield when he had a clearance from a centre bounce. Streamed out and lace out to a leading forward.

Not sure he ready yet... but Caddy/Baker could step aside for a look see at how he goes.

Delicious!!

He has played plenty of football at half back for south freo but as McCrae said in his interview they wanted too see him in our stucture in the backline .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It’s pretty much par for course at Tigerland, players do rotate through different roles- seen it this year with Stack, Baker, Balta,Caddy, Kmac etc

Already (after 1 and 3/4 games) we’ve seen him back, forward and midfield!!!
He looks like a class act in all roles, his midfield clearance in the 3rd Q at full speed and hitting up Moore 40M out was the highlight of yesterday’s game

In a pinch I said. And Darlings speed would have little to do with it, sure he might beat him on the lead but he'll beat most guys on the lead. But in wrestle Caddy would stand up more than Short and Baker.

So's Caddy, he takes guys out constantly. Caddy has better football IQ than Kmac, something important when playing behind the play.
I don’t think Caddy has an IQ as a backman CM in comparison to KMac. He’s not going to get too many one on ones in the BL considering the size of the player he’ll be expected to play on. He may take them out constantly in these battles, but they would only need 5m to rip him apart He’s limited down there and even for a pinch hit. We will have to disagree on Caddy as I sadly don’t see him as best 22 bc of his lack of pace. IMO it has to be KMac or Pickett, the latter may not be ready.
Also there is no way you would put Short ,Baker or Ellis on Darling. The discussion was about replacing some of them.

As I said in an earlier post it appears they want to replace a Caddy or Short or Baker or Ellis.
Ellis is probably more likely.

I don’t have anything against Ellis but I wouldn’t be surprised if he left us at the end of the year.

We can’t afford to continue to pay him what he has been paid the last couple of years and I wouldn’t begrudge him if he wanted to maximise his career earnings.

‘He looks an AFL player’: Richmond recruit Marlion Pickett pushes his case
Mitchell Woodcock
The West Australian
Monday, 12 August 2019 4:20PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says he has no idea which position is best to play Marlion Pickett if the South Fremantle recruit is able to force his way in to the premiership favourites’ 22.

The 27-year-old played just his second VFL game for Richmond on Sunday, having come to the club via the mid-season draft with a broken finger.
Hardwick praised the late bloomer, who could well make his AFL debut in the final two rounds of the home-and-away season.
“Ideally we would love to because when we look at him he looks an AFL player,” Hardwick said on Triple M yesterday.
“We are still trying to find out exactly where to play him.
“He went through half-back and on ball. He has got some significant upside for us, he is a terrific runner and uses the ball well.
“If we could squeeze him in we would love to (play him).”

Picket had 15 disposals off half-back yesterday for Richmond’s VFL team, a week after collecting 20 disposals and two goals on debut.

Hardwick also played down superstar Dustin Martin’s omission from yesterday’s win against Carlton because of soreness.
“He had some general soreness and we thought he would be able to run it out on the Friday session we had, but he pulled up worse on the Saturday,” he said.
“He is such an important player for us so we thought we would take the opportunity to rest him up for next week.”

Last edited:
If Pickett plays it would have to be on the wing. Smooth mover who is good in space and traffic and looks a very good kick. Quick enough and a good mark (great spring). That would mean Caddy who might go to the bench/forward. I doubt they will drop Ellis as some want.

With Ross and Edwards so constructive in the middle, and Martin back I doubt there is room in the middle. Would think Baker is the first to go. Was good in the wet but perhaps the weakest link. Bolton may give way but I hope not.

Balta (for Chol) might come in as a smokey backup for Darling. Has the size and speed (i know but not the smarts - hence backup) to match him on the lead where Darling does most of his good work. Can also run off him because no way will Darling want to chase him, nor could he.

This might allow him to play ruck relief for Nank and Caddy to move forward and change up to the wing to relieve Pickett.

If Pickett plays it would have to be on the wing. Smooth mover who is good in space and traffic and looks a very good kick. Quick enough and a good mark (great spring). That would mean Caddy who might go to the bench/forward. I doubt they will drop Ellis as some want.

With Ross and Edwards so constructive in the middle, and Martin back I doubt there is room in the middle. Would think Baker is the first to go. Was good in the wet but perhaps the weakest link. Bolton may give way but I hope not.

Balta (for Chol) might come in as a smokey backup for Darling. Has the size and speed (i know but not the smarts - hence backup) to match him on the lead where Darling does most of his good work. Can also run off him because no way will Darling want to chase him, nor could he.

This might allow him to play ruck relief for Nank and Caddy to move forward and change up to the wing to relieve Pickett.

I would be as certain as I can be that Bolton would go first. Price you pay for the stupid 100m penalty- can't have that in the DNA approaching finals. We need him, but not like that. Is over finessing (as Tommy would say). Needs to deliver more often and not over do it quite as much. Has crept into his game the last couple of weeks to levels that need to be pulled back. Wet didn't help his cause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back