• No - let’s keep him

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Yes - let’s do a trade

Votes: 27 39.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It wouldn't be a popular decision, but Id let him go, he is one of the last that I'd want to lose of the over thirties though. If we could keep him in a mentoring role in the twos ourselves then absolutely. I dont have any confidence in the club picking a Stengle or McHenry as first choice over Betts next year if he were to stay.

Last edited:

Absolutely not. Under no circumstances would I push him out. In fact I'd be beyond furious if we did.

The impact to our culture would be disastrous. A beloved player not just at the AFC, but across the entire AFL, let go.

He also has immense value to us as a player/coach/mentor. Why should he be pushed out to perform that role at another club? We have young indigenous talents as well as young players in general that will continue to benefit from Betts involvement in the club. Stengle. McHenry. Jones. Murphy. etc.

The difference between us/Betts and say Hawks/Hodge is that the Hawks also had other on-field mentors that were able to fill that role, eg Roughead. And also unlike Hodge, Betts plays in a lower-production role.

So no. Wouldn't even consider it.

Absolutely not. Under no circumstances would I push him out. In fact I'd be beyond furious if we did.

The impact to our culture would be disastrous. A beloved player not just at the AFC, but across the entire AFL, let go.

He also has immense value to us as a player/coach/mentor. Why should he be pushed out to perform that role at another club? We have young indigenous talents as well as young players in general that will continue to benefit from Betts involvement in the club. Stengle. McHenry. Jones. Murphy. etc.

The difference between us/Betts and say Hawks/Hodge is that the Hawks also had other on-field mentors that were able to fill that role, eg Roughead. And also unlike Hodge, Betts plays in a lower-production role.

This one hundred times!! :thumbsu:

Keep him but he should be looking at playing 14-16 games maximum unless his form truly warrants more ... crucial to mentor the next batch of small forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% no.

If he wants to leave, let him but we shouldn't be moving him on on our own accord.

He deserves the right to tell us when he's had enough and that'll be the end of next year when his contract runs out.

Not sure we will have to push him out. Didn't he say he will head back to Victoria when it's over due to his partner?

He knows it's all but over, he knows we will be looking to youth and his form has died right off. Circimstances have changed, he might be deciding it's for the best to go now. Can head back "home" and into a role to play for a year or so plus maybe a position after that.

Article on Adelaide now saying 6 clubs are circling Betts for a playing / Mentor / coaching role next year.

Should we trade him next year?

Ship him off early in trade month for a 4th so everyone can move on quickly. He’s pretty cooked and if he’s not interested in sticking around and maybe playing a fair bit of 2s, he’s done enough for us to help him get where he wants to be. I’m not sure he has the value of a Mitchell, Hodge type in terms of driving a culture driven to succeed. Reckon his go would be player welfare, seems to have a pretty big heart and cares a lot about people.

While teams are still putting in a heap of work into curtailing Eddie, and they are, it’s imperative we keep him. He only has to touch the ball every now and then and things turn to gold. Hasn’t kicked anywhere near the goals of his best years but still serviceable and ignites the team with his smarts and impossible goals. We let him go, I’m done.

But we still have to call it when he’s cooked, and talk that he is cooked is utter rubbish...though it’s coming.

So important to keep him involved with the club. Just hope he pulls the pin before the Thommo stage.

So you’d guarantee him AFL selection every week regardless of form? If he goes it’s because he’s being guaranteed AFL action on top of a coaching/mentoring role. The latter, he’ll have opportunity to pursue at nearly every club in the land. So it comes down to AFL selection. I don’t want us anywhere near being forced to play him regardless of form.

Last edited:
So you’d guarantee him AFL selection every week regardless of form? If he goes it’s because he’s being guaranteed AFL action on top of a coaching/mentoring role. The latter, he’ll have opportunity to Perdue at nearly every club in the land. So it comes down to AFL selection. I don’t want us anywhere near being forced to play him regardless of form.

I would set a plan in place to rest Betts throughout the year so he can continue to play at his best.

Even on his bad days he is outperforming Lachie Murphy so I think he would be best 22 for at least next year

Keep him but he should be looking at playing 14-16 games maximum unless his form truly warrants more ... crucial to mentor the next batch of small forwards

His form hasn’t warranted 14-16 games this year. He’s been great, but if he’s after guaranteed game time then he should go with our absolute best wishes. We can’t guarantee him game time for fear of public backlash if he was to leave and we certainly can’t offer him another year if he’s keen on that too.

Last edited:
Back